News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

tissandtully

Guess...

Interesting comment in Scott Maxwell's Orlando Sentinel's story on Gilzean...

"Gilzean’s contract with the Disney district says he can lose his $400,000-a-year government job if he violates the very ethics statute that the ethics commission lawyer said he hasn’t been following..."
I’m sure they’ll apply the contract as written…. lol sorry I couldn’t finish that without laughing.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So if I read that correctly, his position is not that he isn’t breaking the laws, it’s that he’s mad they told everyone about it.

Any astute individual familiar with Florida statutes could have figured it out. But apparently he couldn't. I'm pretty sure his onboarding documents included an ethics handbook. We got one at university level.

Nevermore525

Gilzean and the CFTOD:

IMG_1949.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
So if I read that correctly, his position is not that he isn’t breaking the laws, it’s that he’s mad they told everyone about it.

His position was he didn't think it was breaking the law...
and he's mad he got told the same time other people were told.

But as any judge will tell you, ignorance is not a defense for breaking the law. Plus, he's sitting on the committee that is supposed to investigate and report this very kind of issue. Kinda screams "lacks qualifications" doesn't it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

But as any judge will tell you, ignorance is not a defense for breaking the law. Plus, he's sitting on the committee that is supposed to investigate and report this very kind of issue. Kinda screams "lacks qualifications" doesn't it?
Who was the fool responsible for telling me that I couldn't accept this position?

You were, sir.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

He's not just a member, he's the bloody Chair. Staff would have had some form of orientation for new members of the Commission. Familiarized them on the pertinent portions of Chapter 112, what their role is, current investigations, etc. We did for members of the ERC.

Either he's completely clueless or a damn liar. I'm going with the latter as he was brazen enough to say the Commission's general counsel told him it was permissable, which the general counsel refuted. In writing.

Public employees have been fined for less. However, I doubt anything will happen, unless a watchdog organization sues. He needs to resign one of the two positions. This "I'm carefully studying the situation and weighing my options, including getting the OCTOD Board to amend my contract so I'm not in violation of Florida statute" is utter 🐂💩. Even if the Board removes the clause under which he can be dismissed as Administrator, that doesn't cure the violation of Florida law.

StantonZ

And counterclaims from Disney have been filed in state courts.
I kind of get the "Disney denies" stuff in the beginning, and get the "Counts" at the end...but what does the "Affirmative Defense" stuff do in the middle (and I've never even heard the phrase "Equitable estoppel")?
This whole thing is turning into one big mess!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom