News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Still waiting for how they will try to handle the debt issued by the district, if they attempt to dissolve it, somehow in the future.

According to a report issued by RCID, prior to the takeover last year, the last bond will reach maturity in 2038.

Lake Buena Vista, Florida CONTINUING DISCLOSURE Year Ended September 30 ... https://www.rcid.org/document/2022-continuing-disclosure/

Given the amount of effort, it took by Orange County and Universal to get the Kirkman road extension built, I don’t want to imagine what it would be like for Disney to attempt to go to Orange and Osceola County commissions to ask for certain road projects to be funded.
Actual dissolution is something that would take years and actual planning. I don't think it's really a goal. It helps provide a rationalization for the state appointed board as they could be framed as a "temporary" step in the process of dissolution.

BrianLo

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 5.36.45 PM.png

Uh Oh, Steve's being put in time out.

NjSO.gif

lazyboy97o

Thoughts on Disney’s response to CFTOD
  • Pages 1 - 25: ”The allegations in Parage [x] are legal arguments and conclusions to which no response is required; to the extent a response is required, Disney denies the allegations.” Over and over again.
  • They bring up the issues of standing we have discussed here. How was the District injuries by not informing.
  • Disney points out a few times that the District is trying to act on behalf of the municipalities without their consent or participation in the litigation.
  • The District’s alleged failures are the District’s, not Disney’s.
  • Disney argues this is unconstitutional under the Florida Constitution as it’s about Disney’s speech. This is part of Disney”s counterclaim that they are introducing to the litigation.
  • You can’t sue over hypothetical bonds
  • We’re past the statute of limitations for challenging the Comprehensive Plan
  • Bobbie C is “Disney’s then-CEO”
  • They accurately lay out the timeline to show how the District acted before the state, not after
  • They point out how the District had basically concluded immediately that the agreements were void and then did the work to come to that pre-existing determination
  • They note that the District is limited by law to how it can use land and to the fact that they lack an alternative development plan that contradicts the agreements. The board members have talked about affordable housing but they cannot legally pursue that at this time.
Disney doesn’t address mailings at all. To that, they also don’t really note that the previous charter had its own requirements for how the District was to handle certain issues and decision making processes. I imagine the District will take that as damning evidence but Disney does note that that would not have been their action to take and nobody injured by these deficiencies has been identified.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My favorite part:

CFTOD: We won't follow the contracts that the RCID entered into.

Disney: But, *you are* the RCID, just with a new name. It's *your* contracts. The legislature very specifically said that you are the RCID, but with a new name, and all the contracts you entered into as the RCID remain valid. You *are* the RCID. You can't sue yourself, thus, you have no standing to sue. So... stop hitting yourself.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
An update on the ethics issue with Glen Gilzean from the Orlando Sentinel.

"Glen Gilzean cannot continue to serve as Florida’s ethics commission chairman and work as the administrator of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ Disney World oversight district, according to a legal opinion released Thursday.

State law does not allow public employees to serve on the government watchdog panel, Steven Zuilkowski, the ethics commission’s general counsel, wrote in the analysis.

Gilzean, chairman of the ethics commission, was hired in May to lead the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District. He earns an annual salary of $400,000 as the district’s administrator.

“It appears that your position as district administrator for the district is public employment,” Zuilkowski concluded.

DeSantis first appointed Gilzean to the ethics commission in August 2019. His present term expires in June 2024. The nine members of the ethics panel, who do not draw a salary, are appointed by the governor and leaders of the Florida Senate and House.

Gilzean, a DeSantis ally, was named to the tourism district administrator post on May 10. The district’s five board members, who approved the hiring, are appointed by the governor.

Gilzean was not immediately available for comment."

The statute is pretty clear on the Commission on Ethics. He can't fulfill both roles.

Disstevefan1

An update on the ethics issue with Glen Gilzean from the Orlando Sentinel.

"Glen Gilzean cannot continue to serve as Florida’s ethics commission chairman and work as the administrator of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ Disney World oversight district, according to a legal opinion released Thursday.

State law does not allow public employees to serve on the government watchdog panel, Steven Zuilkowski, the ethics commission’s general counsel, wrote in the analysis.

Gilzean, chairman of the ethics commission, was hired in May to lead the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District. He earns an annual salary of $400,000 as the district’s administrator.

“It appears that your position as district administrator for the district is public employment,” Zuilkowski concluded.

DeSantis first appointed Gilzean to the ethics commission in August 2019. His present term expires in June 2024. The nine members of the ethics panel, who do not draw a salary, are appointed by the governor and leaders of the Florida Senate and House.

Gilzean, a DeSantis ally, was named to the tourism district administrator post on May 10. The district’s five board members, who approved the hiring, are appointed by the governor.

Gilzean was not immediately available for comment."

Let's see... $0 or $400K/year . An easy choice.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Glen Gilzean in the news again today.

"Instead of resigning, Glen Gilzean is questioning whether Florida’s ethics commission “weaponized” a memo that concluded he was ineligible to serve as both the state’s ethics chairman and administrator of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ tourism oversight district.

The opinion released on Thursday concluded that Gilzean couldn’t do both jobs because of a state law that bars ethics commissioners from holding public employment.

Gilzean earns a $400,000 annual salary as administrator of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, the special district taxing that oversees Disney World’s government services. His position on the ethics panel is unpaid.

In an email Thursday afternoon, Gilzean wrote that he was “weighing” his options on how to proceed and then questioned the ethics commission’s timing in releasing the opinion. The Florida Bulldog first obtained the correspondence, which the ethics commission released Friday to the Orlando Sentinel in response to a public records request.

“It is deeply inappropriate that your legal opinion was disseminated to the press at the same time you sent it to me,” Gilzean wrote in the email to the commission’s general counsel and ethics director Kerrie Stillman. “As far as I’m concerned, someone on your staff knowingly leaked this memo and weaponized it, how did this happen?”

Stillman responded that the memo wasn’t leaked but produced in response to numerous public records requests.

“Producing it was my call and mine alone,” she wrote. “There was no ill intent and no weaponization of this situation by me or anyone else on staff.”

Gilzean also asked the ethics commission’s general counsel to review his employment contract with the tourism district and “propose specific changes that you believe would bring it into conformity with the relevant rules.”

“As you know, I am not a lawyer and believed my status at CFTOD was of no concern,” Gilzean wrote. “At the very least, I did not appreciate the nuanced factors that distinguish an employee and an independent contractor. Regardless, now that this has come to my attention, please rest assured that I am weighing my options and will take action before the Commission’s next meeting.”

The ethics commission next meets on Sept. 8. Gilzean hasn’t responded to phone messages and an email seeking comment.

Steven Zuilkowski, the commission’s general counsel, responded that he is not permitted to assist Gilzean with modifying his employment contract.

“I am the Commission’s lawyer, but no individual commissioner is my client. … I believe other legal advisors outside the Commission staff will be able to assist you in this regard,” he wrote."

Full article below.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Glen Gilzean in the news again today.

"Instead of resigning, Glen Gilzean is questioning whether Florida’s ethics commission “weaponized” a memo that concluded he was ineligible to serve as both the state’s ethics chairman and administrator of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ tourism oversight district.

The opinion released on Thursday concluded that Gilzean couldn’t do both jobs because of a state law that bars ethics commissioners from holding public employment.

Gilzean earns a $400,000 annual salary as administrator of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, the special district taxing that oversees Disney World’s government services. His position on the ethics panel is unpaid.

In an email Thursday afternoon, Gilzean wrote that he was “weighing” his options on how to proceed and then questioned the ethics commission’s timing in releasing the opinion. The Florida Bulldog first obtained the correspondence, which the ethics commission released Friday to the Orlando Sentinel in response to a public records request.

“It is deeply inappropriate that your legal opinion was disseminated to the press at the same time you sent it to me,” Gilzean wrote in the email to the commission’s general counsel and ethics director Kerrie Stillman. “As far as I’m concerned, someone on your staff knowingly leaked this memo and weaponized it, how did this happen?”

Stillman responded that the memo wasn’t leaked but produced in response to numerous public records requests.

“Producing it was my call and mine alone,” she wrote. “There was no ill intent and no weaponization of this situation by me or anyone else on staff.”

Gilzean also asked the ethics commission’s general counsel to review his employment contract with the tourism district and “propose specific changes that you believe would bring it into conformity with the relevant rules.”

“As you know, I am not a lawyer and believed my status at CFTOD was of no concern,” Gilzean wrote. “At the very least, I did not appreciate the nuanced factors that distinguish an employee and an independent contractor. Regardless, now that this has come to my attention, please rest assured that I am weighing my options and will take action before the Commission’s next meeting.”

The ethics commission next meets on Sept. 8. Gilzean hasn’t responded to phone messages and an email seeking comment.

Steven Zuilkowski, the commission’s general counsel, responded that he is not permitted to assist Gilzean with modifying his employment contract.

“I am the Commission’s lawyer, but no individual commissioner is my client. … I believe other legal advisors outside the Commission staff will be able to assist you in this regard,” he wrote."

Full article below.

He just proved why he should NOT be on the Ethics Commission. FL sunshine statute is pretty clear about public access to governmental records. Perhaps he should quit both and go back to the private sector.

And that was an opinion from the Commission's legal counsel.

You know who would investigate him for violating state statue? The Ethics Commission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom