News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Lilofan

They should absolutely pay more. But the impact on the state's economy cannot be overstated.
I'd like to be paid more too. I'm not the only one but I'm positive with increased labor costs to the owners , the consumer will be paying more for it in the end.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can we try not to blame an entire state for the actions of one person please.

Yes, it's one person's fault.

The buck stops at the leadership.
When I say the state I mean the government not the people who live in the state individually. Until the legislature stands up and says no to DeSantis and his requests they are at fault too. The people of the state aren’t to blame.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can we try not to blame an entire state for the actions of one person please.

Yes, it's one person's fault.

The buck stops at the leadership.
Disagree

I think it was the local/donor influence on the legislature that set this in motion…

And he made a disastrous political calculation that he could increase his stature and warchest by seizing on it…

All indications are the opposite happened.

But he doesn’t have the temperament to know to retreat. A hallmark of loser politicians.

WDWHero

Yes it mostly is and not sure what he could personally do at this point to help that situation, but I think the point is maybe he should focus on doing his actual job instead of winning at all costs. The result of his obsession with winning over the mouse is the very topic of this thread.
Yeah I edited my text to make it more relevant to this thread, because I do think its relevant to this whole fight and why everyone is so confused he's waging this war

el_super

The Anaheim situation is a whole different set of issues. But it isn’t the “smoking gun” it’s gonna be spun as by anti Disney forces.

Did Disney do anything illegal? Probably not. Did the people they interface with in Anaheim do anything illegal? Well they haven't been indicted yet.

But otherwise yeah, it's completely legal in this country for corporations to buy elections.

lazyboy97o

SB 1604 says it relates to development agreements in effect when it becomes law. But the District says it’s not in effect. It seems like the state is unwittingly setting a trap for the District. The District’s position is that the agreement is not in effect, so using the power conferred by this law would mean changing their position and saying it was in effect. Would they withdraw their complaint in victory unaware that they’ve added to Disney’s evidence in federal court?

And how dare the District file an 11th hour lawsuit while the state was considering legislation!!!

JohnD

SB 1604 says it relates to development agreements in effect when it becomes law. But the District says it’s not in effect. It seems like the state is unwittingly setting a trap for the District. The District’s position is that the agreement is not in effect, so using the power conferred by this law would mean changing their position and saying it was in effect. Would they withdraw their complaint in victory unaware that they’ve added to Disney’s evidence in federal court?

And how dare the District file an 11th hour lawsuit while the state was considering legislation!!!
SB 1604 passed the House 75 - 34. It goes back to the Senate for final passage.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s the actual very real problem effecting Floridians that is largely being ignored by the governor and the legislature while they instead focus time and resources towards fighting a problem they created with Disney.
I understand it is an issue...I also understand the desire to link every issue the state has back to this Disney topic with "well if he wasn't so busy doing so and so.." because it is fun to bash him at every opportunity.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I guess in theory if someone made the right offer they could buy a parcel without any such agreements or restrictions. But I think that gets to the issue of standing, we’re talking about some future party who is impeded by the contract. Why does this limit the District and do so right now when there is no alternative comprehensive plan? I have a hard time not coming to the conclusion that the Board does have secret plans, that they thought they could take land and sell it off to other hotel developers. They’ve pretty much admitted as much with regards to affordable housing even though it is now allowed in most of the District.

I think lack of standing is a real issue for the board. I'm struggling to see what standing they even have to bring suit in regards to the development agreement.

peter11435

I understand it is an issue...I also understand the desire to link every issue the state has back to this Disney topic with "well if he wasn't so busy doing so and so.." because it is fun to bash him at every opportunity.
This is just one example. It’s a trend of ignoring real issues in favor of fighting and creating fake problems.

Also it has nothing to do with being too busy. If they wanted to they could absolutely fix this problem AND fight Disney. The truth is they don’t really care about fixing the real problems.

Brian

I understand it is an issue...I also understand the desire to link every issue the state has back to this topic with "well if he wasn't so busy doing so and so.." because it is fun to bash him at every opportunity.
I seem to recall quite a bit of bashing the governor recently, even calling him antisemitic, then, mere days later, he turns up in Israel to deliver an address to the Museum of Tolerance in Jerusalem, and met with the prime minister. While he was there, he signed a bill which makes it a felony for hate groups to harass people for their religion or ethnicity in Florida.

lazyboy97o

Anyone have any insight into how the district is actually operating day to day in the current climate? How are things like permits being handled and by who.
They’re still being handled by the District’s administrative staff. As of yet, the Board has not changed those processes. I wouldn’t be surprised if the new administration finds all sorts of problems that need [expensive] fixing.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This is just one example. It’s a trend of ignoring real issues in favor of fighting and creating fake problems.

Also it has nothing to do with being too busy. If they wanted to they could absolutely fix this problem AND fight Disney. The truth is they don’t really care about fixing the real problems.
You are calling out policy differences.

Disstevefan1

Disagree

I think it was the local/donor influence on the legislature that set this in motion…

And he made a disastrous political calculation that he could increase his stature and warchest by seizing on it…

All indications are the opposite happened.

But he doesn’t have the temperament to know to retreat. A hallmark of loser politicians.
I for one will not blame an entire state when the leader of that state that went off the rails.

Its normal and unfortunately human to want to blame and or label groups of people for the actions of the one in charge.

I would love to see how many voters actually would have voted for this mess.

Chip Chipperson

Ok…

Realistically we’re spinning wheels here…

They would never pull the majority of DCL operations out of Florida…
And you can probably guess why?

Because it was designed to feed/Feed off of WDW.

That is less important that it was 20 years ago…but that doesn’t mean the synergy isn’t still in place.

Agreed. But a reduction of FL sailings - particularly in this hypothetical scenario where the King of Florida is targeting their cruise line as the 2nd front in the Great Wokeness War - isn't out of the realm of possibility. It would cost more in terms of fuel to sail to Castaway, Lighthouse, etc. from SC but added costs for consumers might be offset by savings elsewhere (such as cheaper hotel rooms in Charleston and/or not needing to book transportation from WDW/MCO to Port Canaveral vs. a shorter Uber/cab ride similar to the Port of Miami). If doing business in FL becomes cost prohibitive due to the targeted actions of 1 man with pudding under his fingernails then there could be advantages to moving some - SOME - sailings to alternative ports, and look for new opportunities like sailing to Bermuda from SC. Port Canaveral isn't going anywhere, particularly because of the proximity to WDW, but how many guests are driving or flying from WDW to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale? If future attacks from the govenor make doing business at those ports more costly, then it makes sense for DCL to explore alternatives to see if they can save money.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Did Disney do anything illegal? Probably not. Did the people they interface with in Anaheim do anything illegal? Well they haven't been indicted yet.
Doesn’t the FBI probe into former Anaheim elected officials have more to do with the Angels stadium contract than Disney’s role influencing elections in Anaheim?

As I recall the Disney/SOAR tie-in was more an embarrassing “hot mic”. But I still think the Disney factions money and influence peddling in local government has been somewhat balanced/mitigated by other local forces (including UniteHere and the local business coalition that opposed the Eastern Gateway, etc) of lately, which is how a pluralist/democratic society functions.

The difference between the more “anti-Disney” Mayors Tait or Aitken (and even firebrand Councilman Moreno who I find overzealous in his approach) and that of Governor DeSantis is these policy disagreements are legitimate policy disagreements impacting the needs of the city. It’s hard to argue RCID has not been a mutually beneficial deal for Florida and Orange/Osceola counties unlike some of the recent SOAR agreements (even if on net the DLR is obviously a positive economic engine for Anaheim/Orange County, CA).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom