News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Ripken10

The number of wanna-be or actual low-level lawyers in this thread is astounding. Do you really think you are a better lawyer then Disney's legal team? I have no doubt every argument that has come up in this thread was reviewed by multiple legal experts on Disney's legal team because that is their job.

Disney is a multi-billion dollar corporation that pays millions of dollars a year to their legal team. They know what they are doing. The only way this gets overturned is by a partisian judge trying to make a statement. If that happens, I have no doubt this ends up in the Supreme Court and could result in Citizen's United being overturned. Do you really think politicians want to lose all that sweet lobbying money?

Disney came up with a plan and executed it. They counted on the fact that the state really didn't understand what they were doing and what power Disney actually had in the situation. They did everything in public knowing this was just for headlines and the State was too arrogant to pay attention.
I was thinking about that...how there are so many lawyers in this thread...but then it occurred to me. The lawyer profession is a very large percentage of the small subset of people that can now afford a disney vacation (according to most on this site at least). So it should surprise no one that so many lawyers could be on a disney fan page.

mmascari

Would it be better if they used Ron DeSantis instead of the King of England? Wouldn’t change anything legally. The point is to set a date much later in time and it’s pretty well known publicly who the living descendants of King Charles are.
Beyond having a solid understanding of who all the people in the group are, as a first requirement. The second requirement is that they'll still be well known enough to generate news events in the future. It is a relatively safe bet that people will still be following the royal family 100 years from now. Even if the role of the royal family changes in that time.

As of today, it's just as likely that nobody will be following the DeSantis line 100 years from now and that none of them will make any news reports then. The same reason they didn't pick the Iger family line either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was thinking about that...how there are so many lawyers in this thread...but then it occurred to me. The lawyer profession is a very large percentage of the small subset of people that can now afford a disney vacation (according to most on this site at least). So it should surprise no one that so many lawyers could be on a disney fan page.
When the revolution comes, the lawyers will be the first up against the Purple Wall.

UNCgolf

Not really - the inclusion of that absolutely arbitrary, absurd clause, shows that they know that eventually this will be overturned legally, and it was just about making a statement.

It's not an arbitrary or absurd clause. It serves a specific purpose in common law (due to the Rule Against Perpetuities) and can be found in numerous places. Anyone who has been to law school knows all about it.

You can quibble about using Charles himself (i.e. specifically the Royal Lives version), but they have to pick someone to act as the life in being. It doesn't really matter who it is.

Last edited:

bpiper

I wasn't really calling you out.. you recognized your rush. I was more referring to the other who had so much more vitriol while letting his rear hang out in the open :)

I'm still kinda shocked we didn't see this as it unrolled... I admit I was not stalking the rcid website, but I assumed others like dcbaker and len were... while the details we got from meetings were pretty much bland.
Does anyone know when the documents were posted to the RCID website? If its like my town's, it's after the fact of the town select board's meeting. The public agenda has some cryptic description about signing a contract/document with no firm details listed, the board doesn't discuss the contract/document in open session, just take a vote to sign and then sometime later the document is posted to the website. Now if someone actually takes the effort to attend, when the board asks for public comments, they could object and request details of the contract/document be given.

lazyboy97o

I am curious to know if Disney had discussions with Orange and Osceola County on setting up CRA’s within the WDW property if the district was dissolved.

While it wasn’t, it would be interesting to know those contingency plans that never got used.
The municipalities limited the counties’ abilities to act. While assets and liabilities would have gone to the counties, the municipalities would have retained their authority.

MagicHappens1971

Does anyone know when the documents were posted to the RCID website? If its like my town's, it's after the fact of the town select board's meeting. The public agenda has some cryptic description about signing a contract/document with no firm details listed, the board doesn't discuss the contract/document in open session, just take a vote to sign and then sometime later the document is posted to the website. Now if someone actually takes the effort to attend, when the board asks for public comments, they could object and request details of the contract/document be given.
These weren't posted immediately, I did see somewhere that they were on the Orange County Register website the whole time though. I'm not sure about that. The contracts have some info about public record and that RCID wasn't going to post them or something like that, I can't remember exactly what it said.

bpiper

I looked up the average salary of a lawyer at TWDC. Its $167K per year. It is not earth shattering salaries. My former classmate is a lawyer in NYC , his salary is $450K per year working approx 75 hours per week.
That is an average....

What about the hordes of Disney lawyers in the cube farm making $85K /year working on lawsuits on slip and falls generated by the slippery floors in Cosmic Ray's... With Morgan & Morgan their opposition.

They balance out the $500K lawyers working on iron clad contracts with talent that Disney is hiring for their shows and movies.

FutureCEO

Should Disney get away with this - probably not. It sets a bad example for the future.

It's like Hyatt getting bought out by Marriott and at the last minute Hyatt coming up with something through their lawyers saying your can't fired anyone for five years.

BaconPancakes

Should Disney get away with this - probably not. It sets a bad example for the future.

It's like Hyatt getting bought out by Marriott and at the last minute Hyatt coming up with something through their lawyers saying your can't fired anyone for five years.
Get away with what? Protecting their own corporation? They never should have been put in this situation to being with.

UNCgolf

It's really not like that. I can see why it would seem that way to a layman, though.

If Marriott closed the buyout with that agreement in place, then they'd have to assume the contractual requirements. It wasn't anything underhanded or shady.

Last edited:

bpiper

These weren't posted immediately, I did see somewhere that they were on the Orange County Register website the whole time though. I'm not sure about that. The contracts have some info about public record and that RCID wasn't going to post them or something like that, I can't remember exactly what it said.
I could see them being posted to the Orange County Register, but I would think it would be an after effect thing. Basically listing them as being a document/contract that a government entity entered into, not something being proposed.

Smiley/OCD

I doubt it. The debate moderator is not going to be constantly hammering DeSantis with questions about this while they ask more "legitimate" questions to the other candidates. DeSantis will no doubt have the same opportunity to opine on China, Russia, geopolitics, etc. as the other candidates.

This is assuming this topic is a negative for him, which is not a foregone conclusion.

DeSantis won re-election in a landslide after he started fighting with Disney. This was in a formerly purple state and he even won Miami-Dade County. Social media, which does not represent the average voter, may get a kick out of all this legal maneuvering and King Charles and all that stuff, but DeSantis seems to have connected with voters who don't normally vote Republican by standing against values these voters think are too far-left. There's a chance he may do it nationally and you might miss it if you only hang out on social media, Reddit and pro-Disney echo chambers.

And if DeSantis does make it out of the primary, it's not going to matter what push polls say about Americans being so aghast over what DeSantis has done in Florida. What matters in presidential politics is what a relatively small handful of voters in swing states think and online chatter does not generally reflect what they think.

And this is a guy that turned a swing state dark red.
You’re right to a certain extent…yes people have short memories but as a NJ resident, Chris Christie had close to an 80% approval rate after super storm Sandy…he should’ve been able to punch his ticket to the nomination. Then Bridgegate happened, along with other blunders in the state and he left office with the lowest approval in decades…think that didn’t affect his presidential dreams?
Rudy GIuliani’s approval rating was in the high 80’s after 9/11. He should’ve been able to punch his ticket to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, but events and his ego killed that dream.
I’m a realist, and I’ve seen too many times how the perceived invincible ones fall by the wayside…history just might repeat itself…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom