News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

MagicHappens1971

And all this because Disney decided to exercise it's First Amendment rights.
Coupled with the fact that the governor & other members of his party have openly stated that they did this in retaliation against Disney for their exercise of free speech against the Don't Say Gay bill. I’m sure Disney could sue them for that if the CFTOD decides to escalate this.

JohnD

Thank you. The article I quoted earlier didn't include the "living as of the date of this Declaration" bit, plus I was thrown by the reference to "the last survivor", which I mistakenly interpreted as referring to future generations. I see now that "the last survivor of the descendants" is meant to be understood as "the last surviving descendant".
I'll accept whatever the correct interpretation is. Yeah, I read it to mean all descendants of King Charles III, meaning when the royal line dies out which would be a VERY long time.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'll accept whatever the correct interpretation is. Yeah, I read it to mean all descendants of King Charles III, meaning when the royal line dies out which would be a VERY long time.
It’s a very common land rights item and it always means last living. Even if it wasn’t written that way, Disney would argue that it means last living, because otherwise it’s a perpetuity, and it is specifically written into the document that the King Charles part only comes into effect if it is ruled that a perpetuity isn’t allowed here. But also that’s how any court would interpret it, because again, it’s a norm.

JohnD

It’s a very common land rights item and it always means last living. Even if it wasn’t written that way, Disney would argue that it means last living, because otherwise it’s a perpetuity, and it is specifically written into the document that the King Charles part only comes into effect if it is ruled that a perpetuity isn’t allowed here. But also that’s how any court would interpret it, because again, it’s a norm.
Understood. They were going for longest possible time they could get in legal terms. Gotcha.

pdude81

I think it's a distraction that DeSantis needs even less and one that I think he wished was buttoned up by now considering what he is planning.
I view this in the other direction. He wanted this fight and free publicity in the lead up to some national ambitions. Whether Disney won or lost in a court battle against Florida, he would have the ability to speak in the press and at podiums about his intentions and why he felt the other side needed that talking to. When that didn't happen and this seemed to just go away, we find ourselves in a spot where he polls lower than another large personality.

My take is that he wants this smoke more than ever. It's just that now it's somebody else's battle, and if he gets involved there would have to be an explanation as to why this board needs to get involved in more than services and infrastructure.

Last edited:

Dranth

Somebody is really begging for a culture war battle here rather

I view this in the other direction. He wanted this fight and free publicity in the lead up to some national ambitions. Whether Disney won or lost in a court battle against Florida, he would have the ability to speak in the press and at podiums about his intentions and why he felt the other side needed that talking to. When that didn't happen and this seemed to just go away, we find ourselves in a spot where he polls lower than another large personality.

My take is that he wants this smoke more than ever. It's just that now it's somebody else's battle, and if he gets involved there would have to be an explanation as to why this board needs to get involved in more than services and infrastructure.
I don't know, his main opposition to any presidential hopes is already bludgeoning him with this and making him look pretty bad.

pdude81

I don't know, his main opposition to any presidential hopes is already bludgeoning him with this and making him look pretty bad.
This may stray too far into the ether, but I thought the claim from the other guy was that it was a PR stunt b/w Desantis and Disney that wasn't going to have any teeth. So an actual battle or some "consequences" for Disney would help reset that narrative.

Dranth

This may stray too far into the ether, but I thought the claim from the other guy was that it was a PR stunt b/w Desantis and Disney that wasn't going to have any teeth. So an actual battle or some "consequences" for Disney would help reset that narrative.
Don't know if it was removed but I believe someone posted a link to comments on the current situation from the current party front runner a number of pages back. The statement essential said DeSantis is getting owned by Disney, you really want this incompetent guy instead of me?

Agree with the guy or not but he is good at framing things in a way his base understands and appreciates and in this case, he is using it to make Ron look less appealing as a potential candidate. I think the longer this drags out, the more it will be used as a cudgel by his opposition from members of his own party he is running against to prove they are the better choice.

Disney Glimpses

Yeah, I think it’s a “reasonable” approach for him to maintain that his legislation was successful and that his board has matters “under control.” And then move on from there. Further escalating this at the state level would be a complete mess and frankly I think even supporters are tired of hearing about Disney.

Sir_Cliff

I don't know if the politics of this are brilliant either way for DeSantis, but probably better to leave it to play out in the courts at this point. Does he really want to use up more political capital fighting with Disney World? Maybe it plays well with those particularly energised about cultural issues, but too much focus on this makes him look more than faintly ridiculous and kind of petty as someone running for the presidency. In short, is this the kind of stuff he's going to spend all his time and energy on if he wins?

He may get mocked by opponents from all sides if he walks away and it looks like Disney outsmarted him. At least people may stop talking about it and move onto other things he'd prefer to talk about as the court battles continue on, however.

If he's as petty as he seems, however, he may not be able to resist continuing to try to "win" over Disney.

Last edited:

pdude81

I don't know if the politics of this are brilliant either way for DeSantis, but probably better to leave it to play out in the courts at this point. Does he really want to use up more political capital fighting with Disney World? Maybe it plays well with those particularly energised about cultural issues, but too much focus on this makes him look more than faintly ridiculous and kind of petty as someone running for the presidency. In short, is this the kind of stuff he's going to spend all his time and energy on if he wins?

He may get mocked by opponents from all sides if he walks away and it looks like Disney outsmarted him. At least people may stop talking about it and move onto other things he'd prefer to talk about as the court battles continue on, however.

If he's as petty as he seems, however, he may not be able to resist continuing to try to "win" over Disney.
It's definitely muddier now as the battle is between Disney, the new board, and the ghost of the previous board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom