News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

But that language doesn't go into effect until the law is passed.
At a minimum the District could use eminent domain to take assets back. I’d have to back and check but I think there’s further language regarding powers, etc. They seem to have actually listened to those who pointed out that the municipalities are a potential problem with any plan.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At a minimum the District could use eminent domain to take assets back. I’d have to back and check but I think there’s further language regarding powers, etc. They seem to have actually listened to those who pointed out that the municipalities are a potential problem with any plan.

But if the district doesn't exist, how can it take assets back?

Disstevefan1

Do you think these are implicit or explicit goals of the State?
No. My thinking is right now under RCID they are slow. Maybe under RCID they can extend permits at will, and projects can just drag on forever.

I am just speculating, Under the new district, permits will for sure take longer to get approved. This will increase the time and hassle to get permits and if the permit expires, they have to go through the process again, taking more time.

Maybe, just maybe, under the new district, once going through the hassle getting the permit, they will make a point to finish a project just to not have to go through the permit process again.

Universal Orlando seems to get things done in a timely manner so there is hope.

But having said that, the reality is, it will probably take longer for anything to get done under the new district simply because the new district is not in TWDC’s back pocket anymore.

Ayla

As suggested by this CNN article, Disney has bigger problems to solve than what’s going on in Florida.

Leave it to the media to focus on the wrong thing. :rolleyes:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe, just maybe, under the new district, once going through the hassle getting the permit, they will make a point to finish a project just to not have to go through the permit process again.

The tail don't wag the dog.

Permits like these are formalities and administrative overhead once the actual criteria stuff is done. It's not like the permits are some fleeting window of opportunity to get something. They are just administrative overhead. The 5% isn't going to force the 95% to change.

Phicinfan

What Nelson peltz is doing is fine, whether I agree with it or not. But the state has no legal standing to do what they are doing. From the start they've made this about punishing them for their free speech. No one should ever like the idea of that happening.
As someone who has worked for a company that has been.... Peltzed, he isn't all that, and in fact generally can be a waste of perfectly good oxygen.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No other theme park companies have this rare advantage given to them. You dont need ownership or controll over your own local government to operate a theme park business.

What about Universal's rare advantage in having Disney pay for part of their infrastructure?

You see, both Disney and Uni pay county taxes, but only one of them receives infrastructure services from the county... that would be Uni.

Disney pays for its own infrastructure thru the RCID. And it does so on top of paying county taxes (without receiving county infrastructure services).

Disney pays twice. By a lot.

So yes, there is an advantage that Disney gets... by paying for it.

The taxpayers of the counties aren't paying for Disney's infrastructure. But they are paying for Uni's infrastructure.

So, the advantage Disney has is that it can direct the agency (indirectly... but really directly) providing infrastructure. But Disney has to pay for it.

You know who else gets that deal? Universal.

In the new roads being built to support Epic Universe, Universal is paying for part of the project while the county (all its taxpayers and Disney) are paying for the other part of this project. In this way, Universal is getting to do what Disney does, namely, to direct the infrastructure it wants... by paying for it.

MR.Dis

Getting back to this issue: There are basically 2 ways for Disney to go.
1. Sue in Federal court for violation of first amendment rights. If Disney wins, what would the remedy be, reversing the new Reedy Creek government structure? Would the Federal court rule in such a way, that a State has to reverse how it chooses to govern within its boundries. I am not an attorney or constitution expert so someone else will need to state their opinion if this is possible.
2. Sue in State court that the new Reedy Board violates the State constitution. Is their not enough vague language in what has been posted in this forum to give the court enough leeway to say nope, perfectly legal? Again, I will let those with more legal knowledge than me give an opinion on this.
Of course there is a third course of action, just accept and learn to work with new structure.

kong1802

Getting back to this issue: There are basically 2 ways for Disney to go.
1. Sue in Federal court for violation of first amendment rights. If Disney wins, what would the remedy be, reversing the new Reedy Creek government structure? Would the Federal court rule in such a way, that a State has to reverse how it chooses to govern within its boundries. I am not an attorney or constitution expert so someone else will need to state their opinion if this is possible.
2. Sue in State court that the new Reedy Board violates the State constitution. Is their not enough vague language in what has been posted in this forum to give the court enough leeway to say nope, perfectly legal? Again, I will let those with more legal knowledge than me give an opinion on this.
Of course there is a third course of action, just accept and learn to work with new structure.

I believe the basis for the suit would be that the actions were in violation of the 1st amendment, not necessarily the makeup of the board.

The makeup of the board would come into play as Disney would have to show why this is negative for them, but IMO that would be pretty easy to do.

They also have the tape.... All they have to do it seems is roll in the tv strapped to the rolling cart, press play, and rest their case.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll give you that, but I think you and I can both agree there's a difference between Lennar building a development and selling the homes off to many individual homebuyers, profiting once, and Disney building an entertainment complex 50+ years ago and continuing to profit off it ever since.

Not to mention the size, influence and value of the respective companies.
WDW is very, very profitable for TWDC and we all know that better than most ;) That being said, Disney doesn’t make “super profits” from all of us from WDW because it has some unfair advantage over the competition by having RCID. RCID performs some very mundane tasks like sewer and water treatment, trash collection, electric supply and first responders. None of those areas is a key driver of profit and any cost savings would be a rounding error in Disney’s overall financials. I only point this out because it seems like there’s a narrative out there that somehow Disney is profiting greatly from RCID at the expensive of the government or other citizens and that’s really not true.

MR.Dis

I believe the basis for the suit would be that the actions were in violation of the 1st amendment, not necessarily the makeup of the board.

The makeup of the board would come into play as Disney would have to show why this is negative for them, but IMO that would be pretty easy to do.

They also have the tape.... All they have to do it seems is roll in the tv strapped to the rolling cart, press play, and rest their case.
Again what is the remedy? Violation of first amendment is a Federal violation. So you are stating the Federal court would than tell the State of Florida it must change the make up of the Reedy District board? Not saying there is not a case regarding violating first amendments rights, but that does not mean the Federal courts are going to tell the State of Florida it cannot change the board members. Is there an attorney in the room who has a legal opinion on this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But surely Disney would not have kept RCID around for 50+ years, or lobby for its creation back in the 60s, if it did not provide a net benefit. Sure, there may be some trade offs, but I think we can all agree that Disney benefits from RCID's existence more than it loses from it.
The major benefit is they maintain control over the quality of services vs what they would get if they relied on the local government for the same services (like Universal or their other competitors). For example Disney controls RCID EMTs and fire services. They have chosen not to charge a guest for an ambulance ride to the hospital and they will also give them a free ride back to WDW. If Orange county was in charge they wouldn’t have that option. Same goes for roads. If there’s a pot hole they get it fixed immediately. If Disney decides they want a new turning lane it’s built. No waiting around. The only financial benefit Disney gets from RCID is they can finance certain projects with municipal bonds like the parking garages. Disney has plenty of cash these days and can borrow at a much lower rate than 50 years ago so not a huge benefit but it was in the past, say the 1980s when they built EPCOT.

kong1802

Again what is the remedy? Violation of first amendment is a Federal violation. So you are stating the Federal court would than tell the State of Florida it must change the make up of the Reedy District board? Not saying there is not a case regarding violating first amendments rights, but that does not mean the Federal courts are going to tell the State of Florida it cannot change the board members. Is there an attorney in the room who has a legal opinion on this.

They will force Ron to do community service as Pooh. One day a week until his 500 hours are up.

lazyboy97o

Federal courts tell states they can’t do things all the time. Florida is currently enjoined from enforcing the Stop WOKE Act by a federal court.

The Florida Constitution also protects speech. It also has clauses related to taxing authority and local control.

MR.Dis

WDW is very, very profitable for TWDC and we all know that better than most ;) That being said, Disney doesn’t make “super profits” from all of us from WDW because it has some unfair advantage over the competition by having RCID. RCID performs some very mundane tasks like sewer and water treatment, trash collection, electric supply and first responders. None of those areas is a key driver of profit and any cost savings would be a rounding error in Disney’s overall financials. I only point this out because it seems like there’s a narrative out there that somehow Disney is profiting greatly from RCID at the expensive of the government or other citizens and that’s really not true.
As an aside, Disneyland operates in a very regulated state, California. It sits in Orange County whose board has recently has been very confrontational. Yet, Disney has had little problems getting things passed for the improvement of Disneyland in recent years. I am not so sure that the change in the RCID will present this big problem for the future management of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom