News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Universal doesn't have a special district to pawn costs like this on to.
They are and do. If Universal wants changes or upgrades made to the roads the City of Orlando pretty much has to do as requested. That’s how they fit the pedestrian bridges a few years ago.

I don't believe there's anything stopping any of the major attractions from petitioning for a special district, and ultimately receiving one. I'm sure DeSantis would jump at the opportunity in today's political climate, as a means of "sticking it to Disney."
The big limitation is the size of their contiguous land holdings.

lazyboy97o

Yup. As for EPCOT, John Hench told me the story behind the infamous film and you don't wanna know what he said other than "We're all haunted by that <expletive deleted> painting". I will say the total amount of thought put into the painting and models took.... two days.
EPCOT was a Garden City, a concept that was well over half a century old when Victor Gruen wrote The Heart of Our Cities. Just because the visuals were produced quickly doesn’t mean there wasn’t a lot more behind the idea.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Universal doesn't have a special district to pawn costs like this on to. They do get some good deals from the city and county, but they, as far as I know, paid for their garages out of pocket, despite a similar rationale for them (if not better) than the Disney Springs garages.
But believe me if uni thought it was politically viable to have the local gov build it… they would have. Disney’s difference is the lack of opposition and lack of people burdened without direct gain. The advantage of having the master plan of who is inside the lines/box and reconfiguring the municipal boundaries to match.

Again… it’s all about control.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You think that the Walt Disney film promoting EPCOT had no impact on the decision making?
I don’t pretend to know what had an impact on decision making 55 years ago or what didn’t. I’m not sure how you could be so confident to know that either but you do you.

If the only point of the district was to build EPCOT then why not lead with that? Why write a 100 page charter without bothering to mention it? Why not create a district with the same authority as a general government? EPCOT was dead as an idea long before EPCOT Center the park opened but that was 40+ years ago. So if the only point of the district was to build a city called EPCOT why leave the district around for 40 more years? None of this makes any sense.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
False. Both the Florida Legislature and Supreme Court were under the impression that EPCOT was going to be built. You are misinterpreting.
In state vs Reedy Creek Improvement District the FL Supreme Court stated that the promotion and development of tourism and recreation is a valid public purpose and that the integrated plan or workings of the District are essentially and primarily directed toward encouraging and developing tourism, thus confirming that the structure and purpose of the district was valid.

el_super

I don’t pretend to know what had an impact on decision making 55 years ago or what didn’t. I’m not sure how you could be so confident to know that either but you do you.

You do pretend to know, every time you say that RCID was approved for reasons other than EPCOT. Disney bought the land, showed the film, told the legislatures what their plan was to justify the charter, and you seem to believe that magically had nothing to do with their decision making.

If the only point of the district was to build EPCOT then why not lead with that? Why write a 100 page charter without bothering to mention it?

What would you have it say? That they were ONLY giving Disney control of the special district in order to run an experimental government? That it was a science experiment?

Even Walt's EPCOT was always planned to be a tourist destination.

Why not create a district with the same authority as a general government? EPCOT was dead as an idea long before EPCOT Center the park opened but that was 40+ years ago. So if the only point of the district was to build a city called EPCOT why leave the district around for 40 more years? None of this makes any sense.

Of course it doesn't make sense, which is why RCID should have been disbanded long ago.

el_super

In state vs Reedy Creek Improvement District the FL Supreme Court stated that the promotion and development of tourism and recreation is a valid public purpose

Yes because EPCOT, the tourist destination, was still to be built in 1968.

Seriously, if all Disney intended to do was build a theme park and some tennis courts, why didn't they just say that?

jaklgreen

Of course it doesn't make sense, which is why RCID should have been disbanded long ago.
Why should it have been disbanded? That is the deal that the State made with Disney. The State has benefited greatly by having Disney put in all of the public works and infrastructure in that area that the County normally would be responsible for. So you are all for Florida repaying Disney what they paid to put in all of those public works? The problem that I have with this is we all know that is the deal that was struck. Having one side unilaterally decide that they don't want that deal anymore is not how things work. Imagine if everyone could just back out on deals because they changed their minds. I don't care if Disney has any kind of advantage or not, it doesn't matter. What matters is that is the deal Florida struck and they should stick to it. And I don't believe for one second that the only reason that they struck this deal was because of some pipe dream of Walt's about making Epcot into a community. The area needed the infrastructure either way.
If you owned a big corporation, would you go into Florida knowing that they can and will go back on any deals that they make with you?

mikejs78

Premium Member
This wasn't the first attempt to eliminate RCID since the initial creation.

The others had failed because people realized RCID, as Martha Stewart would way, is a good thing.
Exactly this. On the surface it seems that the idea of a company having its own government is not a good idea - but once you look at all the details, it really starts to make sense as to why it's still there and hasn't ever been removed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom