News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mikejs78

Premium Member
You are pointing to dissents, which aren't considered case law. Again, though, Stevens dissent is geared against corporate *money* expenditures in *elections*. That's very different than making a statement about a bill.. I imagine that must justices who would be OK with legal limitations on Disney *spending* on lobbying against the bill would be opposed to limits on *statements*, which are the purist form of speech imaginable.

Another point of difference in most of the case law is that it has to do with laws on the books that regulate corporate expenditures. Here, we don't have a law on the books that prohibited Disney's statement. There was no FL law that said that Disney couldn't speak out. Everything was done after the fact. And I doubt the conservatives would want to overturn Citizens, as that case is something that is very important to their donor class.

The big question mark for me is still if the justices will want to make the leap to legislative intent. I think the three progressives will - not sure if they can get two of the Roberts/Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/Barrett to join them. Of course, by the time this case reaches the court, if it does, it's possible the makeup of the court will have changed.

That's irrelevant because it didn't actually happen.

Disney World is a completely different beast than Disneyland or any other park. The infra needs of Disney World are orders of magnitude higher than DL. Besides, the new board is intent on *punishing* Disney, not just taking oversight.

And regardless of that, no one should be comfortable about the government retaliating against anyone for their constitutionally protected speech, whether or not one agrees with that speech.
Just to add, I think even if the courts uphold the law because of the legislative intent issue, I think they rule in favor of Disney against the governor's and the board's application of the law. There's no question of intent there.

seascape

In a state election such as the one at issue in Austin, the interests of nonresident corporations may be fundamentally adverse to the interests of local voters.
I usually agree with you but Steven's was talking about nonresident Corporations. Disney Parks and Resorts is a resident of Florida and their growth is fundamentally in the interst of Central Florida residents. I strongly believe he would have sided with Disney in this case. They were doing and speaking what their cast members wanted and they all 70,000 plus are currently living in Central Florida.

Last edited:

Cliff

If it were just about the state changing the regulations for legitimate oversight reasons that applied to everyone, I might agree with you. However, the governor and at least one member of the board have publicly admitted that they targeted Disney and planned to use control of the district as leverage against TWDC to influence what content the company made. It's not about simple government oversight.
You have heard the State publically say their intent is to use the Central Fl Tourism Oversight District to dictate what political content Disney makes?

I have not seen or heard that anywhere. RCID for a long time has been viewed by many as a "puppet government" of Disney. For DECADES, RCID has been viewed as a "joke" by many. Yes...c'mon...we have all joked about it since the origin of this web site....long before the Parental Rights Bill ever existed.

Many past legislators..since the 80's have proposed that RCID should not exist the way it did. Yes!...driven by many Democrats too!

Now look how it has changed..

Surferboy567

You have heard the State publically say their intent is to use the Central Fl Tourism Oversight District to dictate what political content Disney makes?
“When you lose your way, you’ve got to have people that are going to tell you the truth,” DeSantis said. “So we hope they can get back on. But I think all of these board members very much would like to see the type of entertainment that all families can appreciate.”

Source: MSNBC

Surferboy567

Source: Blog Mickey

Honestly, at this point the evidence is pretty damming. I don’t see how Disney loses this.

I don’t want to give them more clicks on YouTube however I just watched a portion of the interview in which he directly talks about Disney.

He confirms that he has NOT talked to Bob Iger. This seems to line up with Disney’s lawsuit filing.

EDIT: “At the end of the day the party is over for them…When that deal was done, it was done that way because Disney promised to build communities and actually build cities where people could live and work, they never followed though on that promise”

Correct me if I am wrong but was EPCOT publicly known about when Reedy Creek was put into effect? I don’t think so, though I could be wrong.

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

I have not seen or heard that anywhere. RCID for a long time has been viewed by many as a "puppet government" of Disney. For DECADES, RCID has been viewed as a "joke" by many. Yes...c'mon...we have all joked about it since the origin of this web site....long before the Parental Rights Bill ever existed.

Many past legislators..since the 80's have proposed that RCID should not exist the way it did. Yes!...driven by many Democrats too!

I don’t think it has changed.

“A” change to RCID, even though it was for a petty reason, would have most likely had pretty broad support.

It’s unarguable that what was actually done goes well beyond that, in addition to the free speech issue.

Last edited:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

RCID and CFTOD are both puppet governments. The difference is who the puppetmaster is.

Cliff

“When you lose your way, you’ve got to have people that are going to tell you the truth,” DeSantis said. “So we hope they can get back on. But I think all of these board members very much would like to see the type of entertainment that all families can appreciate.”

Source: MSNBC
Just buy that quote, he seems to be saying just a simple opinion that millions of people think about Disney's political mentality. But that is beside the point. I dont see the district telling Disney "We dont like your new Toy Story 8 movie..so we are not going to give you permits to build your new Toy Story ride at Animal Kingdom" Nah....I dont see that happening. (I mean...the current Disney "might" want to build a future Toy Story ride at AK...I just dont see the district fighting that because of movie messages)

Again...this RCID "problem" has been a known issue and a complaint by BOTH Democrats abd Republicans for DECADES. This is just the first time anybody actually decided to pull the trigger on it.

RCID was Disney's "Vatican" for decades...and this was something that everybody (except Disney) hated for a long time.

mkt

Premium Member
Again...this RCID "problem" has been a known issue and a complaint by BOTH Democrats abd Republicans for DECADES. This is just the first time anybody actually decided to pull the trigger on it.

RCID was Disney's "Vatican" for decades...and this was something that everybody (except Disney) hated for a long time.

You're aware that the district still exists right, it just has a different name and board members. Everything else is the same.

Surferboy567

Just buy that quote, he seems to be saying just a simple opinion that millions of people think about Disney's political mentality. But that is beside the point. I dont see the district telling Disney "We dont like your new Toy Story 8 movie..so we are not going to give you permits to build your new Toy Story ride at Animal Kingdom" Nah....I dont see that happening. (I mean...the current Disney "might" want to build a future Toy Story ride at AK...I just dont see the district fighting that because of movie messages)
They threatened to build a state prison (which obviously is outlandish and won’t happen) I don’t think anything is off the table. Including the situation you described above.

Actually, I can see that exact situation playing out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Yes, anyone paying attention has heard it. They are not trying to hide the intent.

Lilofan

I don’t think he cares. He has told anyone who will listen he’s taking these actions to punish Disney for being woke. He’s not trying to hide it. He thinks the ends justify the means. I believe the end game is to have the courts rule this behavior is acceptable so then he can continue unrestrained.

@ParentsOf4 posted a dissent earlier from Scalia/Thomas where they disagreed with a first amendment ruling because they believe essentially in levels of free speech and that the government should determine what speech is appropriate. See the example below. So how is that related to this? If the same logic is applied, but instead of white supremicist group you sub in woke corporation you can see how dangerous this becomes when the government can decide which speech is free. I’m not saying the courts will rule this way, but if they did it would significantly change how free speech works for corporations.
If DeSantis is trying to fire up his base he’s not very exciting. He’s just as exciting as watching paint dry on a wall.

mkt

Premium Member

RamblinWreck

It’s never been remotely like the Vatican though. It’s been like local government that is still subject to all the same rules and regulations of anyone else in the county or state.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

How about if people don’t like the content they don’t watch the movies or go to the theme parks or watch the networks and streaming services? Why would anyone support the government interfering with content?

I understand feeling the need to try to justify the obvious government overreach by claiming RCID was a problem all along and they are just fixing it, but that’s simply not true. DeSantis himself disagrees with you. He said publicly he didn’t even know what RCID was before this conflict. Of course he lies continuously so who knows if that is true. He has gone out of his way to tell Anyine listening this is being done to punish Disney for being woke. He even wrote it in a book.

Cliff

They threatened to build a state prison (which obviously is outlandish and won’t happen) I don’t think anything is off the table. Including the situation you described above.

Actually, I can see that exact situation playing out.
Ok....if Disney DOES try to build a Toy Story ride at Animal Kingdom?...(today, they are dumb enough to) as an AK fan and Joe Rode fan?...then YES...I do hope the district denies THAT permit.

But seriously...they will get the same oversight that they get in every other city they have parks in.

This is not "doomsday" for WDW. Life will go on and they will continue doing what they always have done..which is make tons of money. You and I will keep going to WDW as normal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom