News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

I wonder if they think they're covering their bases (even though the board's current position contradicts the need for legislation) in the event that the court declares the contracts valid.

CFTOD: "We have the power to declare these contracts void because they're not valid"

Courts: "Nope. The contracts are valid."

CFTOD: "Fine; they're valid. The new law lets us retroactively void them, then, and our vote to void still counts. So there!"

Of course this scenario doesn't really help them if the court nullifies 4C/9B.
I think it was just more the slapdash way this has been done. The governor said he was going to do something so he has to have something to do. If the contracts are valid then this is just a blatantly unconstitutional move that shows how there is not actual concern for the restricting of state power.

Vegas Disney Fan

I wonder if they think they're covering their bases (even though the board's current position contradicts the need for legislation) in the event that the court declares the contracts valid.

CFTOD: "We have the power to declare these contracts void because they're not valid"

CFTOD: "Fine; they're valid. The new law lets us retroactively void them, then, and our vote to void still counts. So there!"

I think they’re just throwing everything they can think of at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Which to me is a good sign for Disney, if the state thought they had a good case I don’t think they’d be passing other bills that will only matter if they lose.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I think that’s probably the case. Plus politics. Gov has to show he has total control of the legislature and they will just pass anything he wants.

My only point was as @lazyboy97o said, if the legislature has recognized this is a valid agreement and decided they needed legislation to void it that sorta hurts the district’s case that the contract was never valid.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Florida sees the possibility that they will lose in court. So they are trying to do the same thing from another angle. But again, this seems like a delay strategy, as Disney will likely need to figure out how to address this through a court filing as well. Each day I see the monstrous legal bills that will pile up to undo all this.
Yeah I’m sure the lawyer bills are outrageous already and we are just getting started. What a waste of taxpayer‘s money.

lazyboy97o

I guess the District taking a different position on the contracts could help the state’s defense regarding this own law if it’s added to Disney’s complaint.

“Disney doesn’t have standing to challenge this law because it’s not about their void agreement. We just want to make sure something similar doesn’t happen in the next five years.”

Vegas Disney Fan

Yeah I’m sure the lawyer bills are outrageous already and we are just getting started. What a waste of taxpayer‘s money.

Any idea if Disney has had to add additional council or if they are just using their existing in-house legal team?

We know the district is using outside legal teams at added expense, just wondering if Disney was incurring added costs too or just using people already on the payroll.

Lilofan

Any idea if Disney has had to add additional council or if they are just using their existing in-house legal team?

We know the district is using outside legal teams at added expense, just wondering if Disney was incurring added costs too or just using people already on the payroll.
O'Melveney Myers
Wilmer Hale
Disney using these lawyer firms from NYC to fight DeSantis

mikejs78

Premium Member
I guess the District taking a different position on the contracts could help the state’s defense regarding this own law if it’s added to Disney’s complaint.

“Disney doesn’t have standing to challenge this law because it’s not about their void agreement. We just want to make sure something similar doesn’t happen in the next five years.”
How many special districts span multiple counties?

lazyboy97o

How many special districts span multiple counties?
The Villages as a development spans multiple countries but I’m not sure if any of their districts cross the county line. Given the number of districts, I I’d be more surprised if there is only one. The triggering mechanism of changing the board, which you note is legally dubious on its own, is probably the bigger issue.

I also don’t think the defense I noted helps much. It’d have to be a scenario where the bill cannot be challenged, the contracts are upheld and the District laws upheld. It’s really just a stall because you’d be right back in court as Disney would now have standing to defend a valid contract.

UNCgolf

Companies almost never use their in-house attorneys for litigation (or government investigations etc.). They're more for compliance, risk management, etc. -- that's not to say they wouldn't be consulted on litigation issues, but they generally wouldn't actually litigate anything.

JohnD

Now the site to watch is the Governor's website to see when HB 1305 (monorail inspections) and SB 1604 (revoking RCID development agreement) are presented to the Governor and when he has to take action.

Click on "2023 Bill Actions". The link is a different PDF file name almost every day otherwise I would directly link that.

Patcheslee

CFTOD Board of Supervisors was confirmed yesterday, but not will full support.
Screenshot_20230505_070103_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230505_070145_Drive.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom