News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

The hotel tax credit was a pretty expensive debacle for Disney, tying minimum wage increases to an already approved project resulted in the project being cancelled after they’d already cancelled leases and spent millions on designs.

There’s challenges everywhere, you can’t run away from bureaucracy.
The wage issue was the result of a referendum. Even a pro-Disney council would have had to deal with that result.

Lilofan

A little further North of what the OP was referring to. IMHO they were referring to the St Mary's Estuary with would be off limits due to a small but important Naval Base, Kings Bay which is home to Trident ICBM carrying submarines.
What a sight that would probably never happen. A guest with a balcony stateroom taking a video of a Trident submarine surfacing next to the Magic.

Vegas Disney Fan

The wage issue was the result of a referendum. Even a pro-Disney council would have had to deal with that result.

Which is a good example of how moving doesn’t guarantee anything, even if the government is friendly the voters can still muck things up.

I’m not arguing blue/red is better/worse, just saying moving somewhere for greener pastures is not a realistic solution because things change. FL was a very business friendly state, still is if you aren’t on the Governors bad side, but nothings guaranteed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Decisions are made by those who show up. If 35% of a population votes and someone gets 51% of those votes they are in charge.

Yes, actual Votes decide elections - But the problem here is not the election, but people taking election results to mean support for something completely different and on top of that misrepresent what the election results actually represent.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then Disney Cruise Line will end up killing the 3 night Caribbean cruise. Which is very popular. Won't happen.
I think you are missing the point which I guess is my fault for not being clear. This is not a debate on what will or won’t happen. In a more extreme example, if the Governor won and just flat out banned Disney from operating in the state (forget about arguing the legality of that, it’s a hypothetical) the WDW assets would be an almost total loss. It would cost more to move most of the stuff than just start over new somewhere else. The cruise business could be moved. They wouldn’t just abandon the ships and bankrupt the business line. Would it be easy? No. Would it be more profitable? No. But if they had to do it having the ships somewhere else and giving up the 3 night cruise is better than nothing.

Fordlover

If cruises out of the Ports of Houston and New Orleans were so attractive, there'd be a ship there pretty much year round. There's not.
I'm sure you know this since you seem well versed on the cruising world, but the cruise terminal is technically in Galveston, not Houston. I've long since wished Disney would put a boat here, but clearly they know it makes more money elsewhere. For me it means I'll never take the family on a Disney cruise, because I have zero interest flying to/from a cruise ship, when we have decent alternatives a quick car ride away.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then please show your work. Where are these alternative ports of call that make this idea anything more than silly fan fiction?
They already cruise from ports outside of FL. It’s not an idea. Nobody is suggesting they want to move the cruise business or will look to move. It was a very simple concept that if they had to they could move it. They cannot move WDW.

MrPromey

Nitpicking about voter turnout seems somewhat irrelevant to me.

Decisions are made by those who show up. If 35% of a population votes and someone gets 51% of those votes they are in charge.

The issue here is a politician who is acting against the best interest of the state/constituents, and is specifically doing so because he sees it as benefitting his desire to get a promotion.

Not to mention doing things that appear to be blatantly unconstitutional to all but the most partisan Nitpicking about voter turnout seems somewhat irrelevant to me.
i only discuss it because our Governor likes to publicly make statements about his actions being the will of the people of Florida and how Disney attempting to defend their own interests and rights is somehow putting their thumb in the eyes of the people of Florida.

I don’t think most of the people in this state are paying close enough attention to even understand what’s going on.

And plenty that do don’t agree with him on what he is doing here.

… Contrary to how certain people want to spin it.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I'm sure you know this since you seem well versed on the cruising world, but the cruise terminal is technically in Galveston, not Houston. I've long since wished Disney would put a boat here, but clearly they know it makes more money elsewhere. For me it means I'll never take the family on a Disney cruise, because I have zero interest flying to/from a cruise ship, when we have decent alternatives a quick car ride away.
Some are different. Many fellow guests I met cruising on the Wonder flew in from many states into MCO a week, days or the night before boarding the ship in FL.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I only point it out because this guy would already be stretching the truth pretty slim when he talks about the “will of the people” or “Disney putting their thumb in the eye of the people of Florida, etc., considering nobody booted for what he’s doing here.
Every single thing he has stated about this has been a total lie, not just stretching the truth.

mmascari

just saying moving somewhere for greener pastures is not a realistic solution because things change. FL was a very business friendly state, still is if you aren’t on the Governors bad side, but nothings guaranteed.
Everyone always thinks the grass is greener someplace else, until they get there and find out it's the same but different and yet still the same.

Using the premise that "FL is very business friendly if you aren’t on the Governors bad side". We're back at the obvious answer is change the governor. Either to one where you're on their good side or one where the side doesn't matter.

One way to do this is to just slow things down until events take their own course and the governor changes.
The other way is to help the process along.

Disney currently appears to be doing the first.

GrumpyFan

Everyone always thinks the grass is greener someplace else, until they get there and find out it's the same but different and yet still the same.

Using the premise that "FL is very business friendly if you aren’t on the Governors bad side". We're back at the obvious answer is change the governor. Either to one where you're on their good side or one where the side doesn't matter.

One way to do this is to just slow things down until events take their own course and the governor changes.
The other way is to help the process along.

Disney currently appears to be doing the first.
The only problem there, with trying to slow things down, is the Legislature also seems hell bent to go after Disney with everything they've got and strip them of ANY kind of power they previously had. In doing so, they're creating a very hostile environment for Disney that will outlast this governor's term. As Rep. Anna V. Eskamani, put it, they're playing "whack-a-mouse" all at the behest of a governor.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I didn't move back to the states because I thought "the grass was greener". I moved here for a job.

The grass was greener back where I left. Sure, the government was corrupt and inept like what Florida has now, but you expected it, so it didn't scare you. But most importantly, no one accused ANYONE of pedophilia and grooming just because they disagreed politically: everyone just coexisted mostly peacefully.

Disstevefan1

I didn't move back to the states because I thought "the grass was greener". I moved here for a job.

The grass was greener back where I left. Sure, the government was corrupt and inept like what Florida has now, but you expected it, so it didn't scare you. But most importantly, no one accused ANYONE of pedophilia and grooming just because they disagreed politically: everyone just coexisted mostly peacefully.
Here's hoping you can get a new job outside the USA so you can leave and be happier.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Here's hoping you can get a new job outside the USA so you can leave and be happier.
Also, I'm just what the US needs to get rid of: high earning professionals employed in fields that generate huge sums for the economy.

All because I'm left of center, have experienced a different way to live and stated a benefit of it.

You're ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom