News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

MrPromey

You're aware that isn't even the topic that the posts were about, right?

and I was about to ask if he was aware that 9 out of 10 dentists recommend Colgate. ;)

He deleted before I could so I think he just got caught up in the moment.

I take that as a retraction and I can respect him for that while still having a little fun. 🙃

Last edited:

JMcMahonEsq

Maintaining the status quo at WDW isn't neglect. They just wouldn't expand.

That's Disney's other potential power move: jobs.

DCL doesn't need Florida: it needs a port. I am beyond certain that there are plenty of cruise ports that could offer Disney a better deal than Florida's have.

And as far as the part you ignored, I can also imagine Disney allowing white collar professionals to go remote from anywhere they want.
You don't think DCL needs Florida? What major cruise line doesn't use Florida as its major east coast hub? Sure some cruises go out of Bayonne NJ, and some go out of Boston, but those are minor compared to the ports in Florida.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
You don't think DCL needs Florida? What major cruise line doesn't use Florida as its major east coast hub? Sure some cruises go out of Bayonne NJ, and some go out of Boston, but those are minor compared to the ports in Florida.

Let me rephrase.

DCL doesn't need Florida as much as Florida needs Disney.

Also, I provided options in previous replies: remember, cruises aren't limited to one country.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Because they don’t want them?

It's more like there isn't enough support from the state for it as the river already has a lot of traffic on it. The port of Savannah (run by a state entity, the Georgia Ports Authority) is currently the 2nd busiest on the East Coast. Given the issues with California and state internal combustion engine regulations, I can see more freight bypassing the West Coast and going through the expanded Panama Canal to East Coast ports very soon.

Dranth

It also avoids the fact that it was supported under the “protect the children” guise and the bigoted law has now expanded from K-12. Aside from other bigoted legislation being passed daily by this legislature
Everyone knows they need to be protected from discussing gender. Sure, some of those "children" can join the military, purchase a home, get married, vote, drive cars, etc., but at least they never had to hear anyone discuss a same sex couple in a controlled and safe environment.

afterabme

Cruise wise, outside of Florida, there aren’t many ports that can the type of ships and as many ships as Florida’s can. Sure, you have the NY/NJ ports, but the seas are always rougher from there going south.

Add in distance to destination ports, with Florida the ships are pretty close to all parts of the Caribbean. From other ports it is a longer and more expensive transit to those places.

Other alternatives include NOLA and Houston, which Disney already sails out of, but are still far away.

Cruises are one area where Florida has a natural advantage from established ports, airports(its 10 minutes from FLL to Port Everglades) and infrastructure to geography.

Tha Realest

Cruise wise, outside of Florida, there aren’t many ports that can the type of ships and as many ships as Florida’s can. Sure, you have the NY/NJ ports, but the seas are always rougher from there going south.

Add in distance to destination ports, with Florida the ships are pretty close to all parts of the Caribbean. From other ports it is a longer and more expensive transit to those places.

Other alternatives include NOLA and Houston, which Disney already sails out of, but are still far away.

Cruises are one area where Florida has a natural advantage from established ports, airports(its 10 minutes from FLL to Port Everglades) and infrastructure to geography.
Shhhh. The solution is simple. The Georgia government will build a deep water port in south Georgia, somehow, and in the meantime DCL will move all its cruises to Europe and Asia. Read the last few pages and those are the alternatives offered.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes, but they are also testing Australia this year and added capacity in Europe. Additionally their already announced plan to move into Asia.

1. Highly unlikely Australia will be year around.
2. Europe isn't year round cruising for DCL.
3. They will have a ship dedicated to Asia - the partially completed one that is now being turned into a Disney ship.

Currently the only port that does year round cruising is Port Canaveral. The Magic was used for the European cruises. The Dream will now go to Europe and the Magic will be sailing out of Miami once it is out of dry dock. The Wonder is used on the West Coast - California coastline, Alaska cruise season and a few Hawaiian cruises.

Once the terminal at Port Everglades is completed, the Magic will be moved up there. The Treasure may be stationed there. Or perhaps the Fantasy will be moved down to Port Everglades and two of the three Tritan class ships will sail out of Port Canaveral.

Those 3 night cruises are very popular. Moving their departure port to one outside Florida will both increase the cost of the Caribbean sailing and most likely see the end of the 3 nighters. The ships that sail in the Caribbean have to stop at Nassau - that's the agreement with the Bahamian government. Disney isn't going to negatively impact itineraries that include one of its most popular ports, if not THE most popular port - Castaway Cay.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Exactly my point. It would not be ideal but it’s still possible. The fact that they already cruise out of other ports not in FL is proof that it’s possible. Nobody is saying they are preferable to FL or cheaper or better and nobody is saying that is happening just that if the state puts a gun to their head and makes it bad enough that they don’t want to do business there anymore that’s part of the business that could be moved. WDW is virtually impossible to move. You could move some rides and rebuild resorts somewhere else but it would be a near total loss and would cost more to move than just build new.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I’d say apathy should count as some sort of reflection of the registered voting population as well. Which hardly turned out in 2022 because the choices sucked.

The turnout in Florida was just shy of 50% of registered voters. Difficult to say you've got a mandate and "will of the people" when almost half of the voters didn't even bother to vote.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Exactly my point. It would not be ideal but it’s still possible. The fact that they already cruise out of other ports not in FL is proof that it’s possible. Nobody is saying they are preferable to FL or cheaper or better and nobody is saying that is happening just that if the state puts a gun to their head and makes it bad enough that they don’t want to do business there anymore that’s part of the business that could be moved. WDW is virtually impossible to move. You could move some rides and rebuild resorts somewhere else but it would be a near total loss and would cost more to move than just build new.

But they don't cruise out of Houston or New Orleans or Dover or Barcelona or San Juan year round. Moving to ports outside of Florida will impact the Caribbean itineraries.

mmascari

Succeeding in politics is about playing to the crowd, and appealing to >51% of your voters.

You may have a fundamental misunderstanding of how our elections work. Votes cast is what matters.

Lots of politics today is about making the pool of voters smaller not about appealing to a majority of voters or people in general.

In a pool of 100 voters, if 36 already like me, instead of convincing 15 more it may be easier to eliminate 29 from the pool.

Fordlover

Along with all the hurdles mentioned here about Disney moving parts out of Florida, I think it also comes down to potentially only being a temporary solution. We’ve witnessed the swing from friendly to hostile in Florida. If it holds in Florida, why couldn’t the same happen elsewhere? Disney needs to tackle at the source, nip in the bud.
This is my point as well. If moving even something small out of Florida, then to where? And what is to say the same kind of fight wouldn't be created in the new state unless it was a solidly blue state.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom