News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Brian

But I'm sure my Twitter hashtag campaign will surely bend the company to our will!!
Elon's Twitter sure is weird. My hashtag campaign is off to a great start, though!

Hashtag.png

Sans Souci

How many "experts" did WaPo need to figure this one out, exactly?

I've been following the story at WaPo. The comments section is a reminder that a lot of people have a vague notion of WDW. So many people in comments suggest that WDW leave Florida. I think they think it's like Six Flags where it's coasters and flat rides you cane disassemble and move. I think this article is for those people.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

Could Disney move out of Florida? No way, experts say.​

As the company feuds with DeSantis, politicians have urged the company to relocate, a nearly unthinkable prospect​

The Puerto Rico thing is interesting. They have a former naval base - Roosevelt Roads - that's sitting unused. Disney could make a hell of a resort there, that includes not only theme parks, but even a seaport for DCL. Hell, it already has an airport with a huge runway where they could send flights to.

And given how desperate Puerto Rico is to attract business, for the promise of a Disney Resort, they'd likely give the land away for free, or for absurdly cheap.

JAB

The Puerto Rico thing is interesting. They have a former naval base - Roosevelt Roads - that's sitting unused. Disney could make a hell of a resort there, that includes not only theme parks, but even a seaport for DCL. Hell, it already has an airport with a huge runway where they could send flights to.

They could just load everything on the Harmonious barges and sail it all down there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Someone quick look at that Marvel contract and see if they can have the Avengers at a park in PR. It’s technically East of the Mississippi but since it’s an island does that count :)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Someone quick look at that Marvel contract and see if they can have the Avengers at a park in PR. It’s technically East of the Mississippi but since it’s an island does that count :)

Disney's filmed plenty in Puerto Rico and Marvel has a Fantastic Four book set in Puerto Rico, so... it's a fun pipe dream.

Figgy1

Disney's filmed plenty in Puerto Rico and Marvel has a Fantastic Four book set in Puerto Rico, so... it's a fun pipe dream.
Not to mention the weather is better there year round:joyfull: Just wish it was a bit warmer some of the time but I say that more about central Florida

flynnibus

Premium Member
People keep confusing somethings being cheaper for disney to mean the net must be cheaper for disney… else why would they do this?

Somethings can be done cheaper through RCID vs having the company do it themselves… but that is something in isolation. OVERALL - it still is more expensive for disney because they still pay for the majority of public infrastructure things through their taxes and fees… verse splitting the costs with far more other tax payers like in any other situation.

Instead of having no infrastructure and few tax payers…. They have tons of infrastructure with few tax payers.

They get advantages but it’s not cheaper overall by simple math. Disney is paying over 85% of all the money that funds the local infrastructure and administration. What other scenario has a single tax payer covering that much of your budget and you still have an advanced system of public services and infrastructure?

Tax advantages like having rcid fund or own thing doesn’t equate to 80% cheaper!

Disney pays the overhead because they get to control it and manage it how they see fit.

So its possible for it to be more expensive to have this arrangement- while still being a fiscal advantage in certain elements

Sir_Cliff

This is so disconnected from reality.

Define "the party."

If by "the party" you mean "the rank-and-file people who vote in Republican primaries," those people HATE Chris Christie, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson, Lindsay Graham, Mike Pence and so on and so on.

What Ron DeSantis is doing is anti-Conservative, but the Republican Party is not a Conservative party anymore, they're a populist party. Pick your term... the Republican Establishment, the GOP elites, the RINOs, the Swamp, the Georgetown cocktail party crowd, the Rockefeller Republicans, the Zombie Raeganists... DeSantis wants to be attacked by those people because the GOP primary voters hate those people. DeSantis wants to be out of step with his party's establishment.
The picture you're painting is of a very nihilistic political party who just wants to burn everything down, including their own party.

MrPromey

He’s my lawyer…
…but only to negotiate contracts on my budding career as a mime/exotic dancer

... Okay - now the eating churros off you thing makes more sense.

I'd still rather a plate, though.

Just the same, let me know if you're ever heading down to Tampa. I'll have a fresh roll of nickles on hand to make it rain for ya'!

MrPromey

What am I?!?

…dimes are easier to transport/cause less damage 👍🏻
So are pennies.

We'll see.

If you really wow me, a half-roll of quarters isn't entirely out of the question.

I hear MrPenguin throws loonies, though, which, you know, is technically better but still somehow seems like an insult.

Apologies to our Canadian friends. ;)

DPA

It's actually south of the Mississippi, since it isn't on the North American continent, as steamed up as the Disney Co is right now, I don't think Comcast would even try to enforce that contract to PR if they thought it applied. But if we're speculating on new parks to retaliate against Tallahassee (and I like the PR idea); Australia has said that they would like to have a Disney resort, they said it especially loud after Shanghai gave China three, and if Disney wound up with the 20th Century Fox Australia Studio in the Sidney area; they already have a huge chunk of land in the country's #1 tourist destination area that they can build on. Personally, I would like them to go on a major spree in California. They potentially have room for two parks on land they own in Anaheim and what would probably be a moderately complected real estate deal could might finally get them Knott's Berry Farm; which has room for a major Disney expansion, another park and a resort hotel and shops. Just mud in the eye for DeSantis to see money and energy diverted from Florida, because of him, back to where it was diverted to Florida from in the first place; because karma can be a royal 🤬!

MrPromey

People keep confusing somethings being cheaper for disney to mean the net must be cheaper for disney… else why would they do this?

Somethings can be done cheaper through RCID vs having the company do it themselves… but that is something in isolation. OVERALL - it still is more expensive for disney because they still pay for the majority of public infrastructure things through their taxes and fees… verse splitting the costs with far more other tax payers like in any other situation.

Instead of having no infrastructure and few tax payers…. They have tons of infrastructure with few tax payers.

They get advantages but it’s not cheaper overall by simple math. Disney is paying over 85% of all the money that funds the local infrastructure and administration. What other scenario has a single tax payer covering that much of your budget and you still have an advanced system of public services and infrastructure?

Tax advantages like having rcid fund or own thing doesn’t equate to 80% cheaper!

Disney pays the overhead because they get to control it and manage it how they see fit.

So its possible for it to be more expensive to have this arrangement- while still being a fiscal advantage in certain elements
I've tried to come up with a way to say this at least two dozen times in responses on this thread and given up on most of them.

You know how I like the sound of my own fingers on a keyboard - just imagine how much I've typed and closed out of. :oops:

The problem again, is nuance and how it goes out the window in a room full of people yelling... and politician's mouths.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom