News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would agree with allowing the state and both counties to appoint members to the Board. However, I would also want to see some type of qualifications in the statute for members appointed by state and local government to the Board. Civil engineers, biologists, land use attorney, etc. People who have the expertise to make real contributions.
They already proved the level of dysfunction on the state level and that can’t be denied.

If I were Disney…I’d push for nothing less than status quo prior.

Why shouldn’t they?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Not sure if this has been shared yet. I’d recommend reading the accompanying article.

The only question this makes me consider, is how much of an issue can you have regarding notice if most of a jurisdictions voting residents are present? I understand there’s supposed to be a set procedure, but is there really an issue when most of the voters are all present?

Even if the cities did not act properly and were not properly consulted, I still don’t see how that gives the District standing. They’re the allegedly aggrieved party but they also no longer have the power to disagree with the District. Barking up this tree just seems like it would threaten the District’s superior authority.

RamblinWreck

So what is Disney’s benefit here with RCID?

It’s been said by some on here they don’t get a financial break, and may even pay more in taxes.

Many of those same people have also said they don’t get an unusual break in terms of various approvals.

Yet their actions - the development agreement, restrictive covenant, lawsuit - suggests they really wanted to keep the status quo above and beyond the principle of defending themselves.

So what benefits did Disney enjoy through this arrangement?
I don’t think this is accurate.

Their options at present aren’t “status quo” (Aka too much autonomy in many peoples opinions) vs “be treated like everyone else”

It’s “status quo” vs “be under the thumb of one man who can run your local government that essentially only effects you, and doesn’t have to worry about being held accountable for it”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So what is Disney’s benefit here with RCID?

It’s been said by some on here they don’t get a financial break, and may even pay more in taxes.

Many of those same people have also said they don’t get an unusual break in terms of various approvals.

Yet their actions - the development agreement, restrictive covenant, lawsuit - suggests they really wanted to keep the status quo above and beyond the principle of defending themselves.

So what benefits did Disney enjoy through this arrangement?
Just my opinion…

The Benefit here is the control of development…whether they develop or not.

Wdw is the single unit/component of the entire Disney portfolio that holds the most value. Not even close either.

They trade on that…they can’t sling stock as effectively if they don’t have rights to the front lawn.

GrumpyFan

This whole ordeal has been of huge interest to me. Years ago I read with great interest Chad Denver Emerson’s Project Future which details much of what went in to buying the property, forming Reedy Creek and building WDW. I’m not an expert on the subject, but I have read a good bit about it. So it really bothers me when people pop in with their snide comments about Disney and RCID and how it’s “unfair”. This thread, plus Twitter have consumed way more of my time and mind on the subject and I probably should take a break, but the hits just keep coming making it hard for me to walk away.
Anyone else? Lol!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This whole ordeal has been of huge interest to me. Years ago I read with great interest Chad Denver Emerson’s Project Future which details much of what went in to buying the property, forming Reedy Creek and building WDW. I’m not an expert on the subject, but I have read a good bit about it. So it really bothers me when people pop in with their snide comments about Disney and RCID and how it’s “unfair”. This thread, plus Twitter have consumed way more of my time and mind on the subject and I probably should take a break, but the hits just keep coming making it hard for me to walk away.
Anyone else? Lol!

I find the legal analysis members, especially @Chi84, are providing helpful and illuminating.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anyone else? Lol!
Project future is top 3 Disney books Alltime for me…

It’s “required reading” in my class 😎

Have you read married to the mouse?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now watching the stream from the 19th, and this Canadian is shook by the meeting starting off with the pledge of allegiance. Not sure why, just seems wild to me? haha. Probably totally normal for you all, just not something we have here.
Frankly…that’s always creeped me out.

Unpopular opinion…but all our founding minds and principles were against that sorta thing

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Now watching the stream from the 19th, and this Canadian is shook by the meeting starting off with the pledge of allegiance. Not sure why, just seems wild to me? haha. Probably totally normal for you all, just not something we have here.
Yeah. Normal for the vast majority of government meetings.

1682724962009.gif

Patcheslee

I would agree with allowing the state and both counties to appoint members to the Board. However, I would also want to see some type of qualifications in the statute for members appointed by state and local government to the Board. Civil engineers, biologists, land use attorney, etc. People who have the expertise to make real contributions.
You mean not this guy (March 9th meeting is now available with transcripts
Screenshot_20230428_192834_Drive~2.jpg
)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom