News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
What Disney will have to argue is their Board selection was changed, while the others stayed as they were.
There were later bills to re-instate some of the other districts.. which I haven't spent time tracking down. Maybe one would see under what terms those were redone.. tho I think this is less critical to the argument, unless you find something like 'everyone went back to normal.. but RCID' or the like..

RamblinWreck

Though the Disney Springs tenants are collateral damage, higher taxes/dues are more or less a forgone conclusion of a costly legal fight for any CDD or HOA. I believe one member mentioned a few months ago that they sued their HOA and, though they won the case, ended up paying more that year in dues since the HOA had to defend against their lawsuit.

The money has to come from somewhere, and the CFTOD board can't tax only Disney, as much as I'm sure they'd like to.
I would be very impressed by Disney if they found a way to make up the difference for those businesses. It would be a huge PR win for them so maybe they’d consider it.

Patcheslee

There were later bills to re-instate some of the other districts.. which I haven't spent time tracking down. Maybe one would see under what terms those were redone.. tho I think this is less critical to the argument, unless you find something like 'everyone went back to normal.. but RCID' or the like..
HB13B & HB11B. The other districts included in the special session were allowed to continue their previous board selection methods.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm not certain, but the Orlando Business Journal (and WFTV, quoting them) seem to think they have the authority to do so.

But which taxes? The Board can't increase the corporate tax rate, only the Legislature can. How many of those retailers own the building they operate in? If they don't, then property tax is out.

Is Disney Springs OCTOD property or TWDC property? Who controls rent for those retail spaces? Basin White's space is in the Grand Floridian. OCTOD doesn't own the hotels.

It's a stupid plan. Dramatically increasing rents will mean smaller tenants will leave. Do they really want Basin, Homecomin' and the Landry's restaurants to leave?

RamblinWreck

All this arguing about the 1st A issues is well and good but can we at least acknowledge that the most likely scenario is a partial win for Disney on the contact law point and them being able to keep their contact?
I certainly don’t have the legal expertise to say.

But it does seem that if Disney loses or wins on the 1A issue that either result will have a significant effect on how governments within the US conduct themselves going forward. This case seems like a big deal to me.

JoeCamel

OK people, let go of the "RCID" references. When talking about current business / communications it is now with the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District (CFTOD for short). I know its hard and painful but time to move on. After all the legal wrangling and rhetoric is done it will be the CFTOD. Just saying.
Why? Is there a new sheriff in town?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, it’s pretty common in retail leases.

And Disney can decide to absorb that increase in ITS assessment.

It worries me when the chair of the Board makes an announcement, after hearing from worried tenants, that the District will "raise taxes" without specifics on which taxes and who pays them.

Figgy1

Premium Member
But which taxes? The Board can't increase the corporate tax rate, only the Legislature can. How many of those retailers own the building they operate in? If they don't, then property tax is out.

Is Disney Springs OCTOD property or TWDC property? Who controls rent for those retail spaces? Basin White's space is in the Grand Floridian. OCTOD doesn't own the hotels.

It's a stupid plan. Dramatically increasing rents will mean smaller tenants will leave. Do they really want Basin, Homecomin' and the Landry's restaurants to leave?
The last part was rhetorical, wasn't it?
Those being sued don't want one penny going to Disney:mad: They want to put Disney in the position of having to raise rents:mad:

LAKid53

Premium Member
HB13B & HB11B. The other districts included in the special session were allowed to continue their previous board selection methods.

Well, someone needs to tell Eastpoint it has a new charter. What's on its website is the one signed by Claude Kirk in 1967. But they did get the number of board members correct and who appoints them. 😉

JohnD

The meeting notes say the session was called to address a few districts. Which I wouldn't be surprised to see them argue RDIC wasn't singled out. What Disney will have to argue is their Board selection was changed, while the others stayed as they were.View attachment 713011
That special session was specifically called to address Congressional districts. Due to "germaneness", special districts created before the 1968 FL Constitution were added. Let's be honest. The entire point was to repeal RCID although other special districts were swept up in the special session.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Reassuring Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Can they enact a City of Bay Lake or City of Lake Buena Vista sales tax?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom