News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

RamblinWreck

As someone said, they are laying the groundwork on making claims that DeSantis wasn't the entity that actually made the changes. First, they will go on a media blitz. Watch other DeSantis minions make similar claims on right wing outlets. You'll possibly see some op-eds in the WSJ, etc. also try to make similar claims. Then they will show up in court and try to make a legal argument that he's not party to the suit.

They have to do this because DeSantis was an arrogant fool by continually bragging that he took on Disney himself. I mean he wasn't even vague about it, he was pretty clear he did this.

Also going to be quite the campaign issue............. he's going to want to run on him being the guy that took it to Disney but his legal team is going to be arguing that he can't be a defendant because he had nothing to do with the legislature reshaping the district via legislation.
I seem to recall him getting in front of cameras and telling everyone what he was going to direct the legislature to do in regards to the “11th hour” contracts between RCID and Disney.

JohnD

Correct. The regular session was scheduled to begin the following month. This bill could have been handled during then. But then it would have been lost in the noise of all the other bills.

@JohnD, do you ever remember any special session so close to the start of regular session? Especially once the governor submitted his budget?
Not that I recall.

CaptainAmerica

How much if you don’t mind me asking do DVC members typically pay RCID in taxes?
I'm not sure they tell us.

Saratoga Springs, for example, is estimated to be $1.36 of property taxes per point in 2023 (with most contracts being around 200 points), so call it $272 in 2023. But that's Orange County and Reedy Creek combined.

Brian

From Orlando Business Journal:​

DeSantis vs. Disney: New board voids agreement; to raise taxes on Disney Springs tenants to fund ongoing feud​

The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District board during its April 26 meeting said it plans to raise taxes within the district — which will affect Disney Springs tenants — to fund Gov. Ron DeSantis' ongoing legal battle with Disney (NYSE: DIS).

The board heard concerns from numerous small business operators inside Walt Disney World’s Disney Springs mixed-use dining, entertainment and retail destination.

The new board, which was appointed by DeSantis as part of his ongoing feud with Disney, has many restaurateurs, attraction operators and shop owners worried about what is in their future in terms of new costs or impacts to their employees. Owners of Wine Bar George, T-Rex Cafe, The Boathouse, Splitsville, Basin and more all shared their thoughts on the ongoing feud between Central Florida’s theme park giant and the state.

For example, Wine Bar George Owner and Master Sommelier George Miliotes raised concerns about any costs or new policies the district may implement that can affect his business and workers.

Shawna Heninger, president of Retail Concepts of Minnesota which operates Basin bath and hair/body care shop, expressed worry about how past comments by DeSantis on the idea of installing tolls on property would affect her business and employees.

“I’m all for things being fair and equitable. It frustrates me if I am placed in an inequitable position tax-wise based on my peers in other places in Orlando,” Heninger told Orlando Business Journal. She said the company has closed stores in other states due to high taxes and she fears the Disney Springs store could see the same fate if costs become too high.

Board Chair Martin Garcia told the speakers he understands the importance of small businesses. “I promise you … we hear you loud and clear,” he told the business owners.

However, Garcia later in the meeting said the increased legal costs the district took on as part of its feud with Disney means it will have to raise funds through higher district taxes.

“Disney picked the fight with this board … our lawyers have told us is — factually and legally — what they created is an absolute legal mess. It will not work … we had to hire lawyers to evaluate these 11th-hour agreements … That’s going to cost us money, and because that’s going to cost us money, we are going to have to raise taxes,” he said.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
As someone said, they are laying the groundwork on making claims that DeSantis wasn't the entity that actually made the changes. First, they will go on a media blitz. Watch other DeSantis minions make similar claims on right wing outlets. You'll possibly see some op-eds in the WSJ, etc. also try to make similar claims. Then they will show up in court and try to make a legal argument that he's not party to the suit.

They have to do this because DeSantis was an arrogant fool by continually bragging that he took on Disney himself. I mean he wasn't even vague about it, he was pretty clear he did this.

Also going to be quite the campaign issue............. he's going to want to run on him being the guy that took it to Disney but his legal team is going to be arguing that he can't be a defendant because he had nothing to do with the legislature reshaping the district via legislation.
I think what they might be doing is trying to build an argument that the legislation was necessary to re-examine and possibly change some special districts that pre-dated the 1968 Florida constitution.

In order to uphold a law that negatively impacts a party’s constitutional rights, the government has to establish that there was a substantial public purpose along with some other elements.

It goes without saying that a governor’s political vendetta is not an allowable purpose, so they are probably trying to divorce him from the legislative action.

He can say the legislature made the decision, Disney fought it, and he’s trying to uphold the will of the people.

Just speculation on why she said what she did. Given the facts of this case, I don’t think the state will prevail on this argument.

Brian

Given the timeline of events I think the facts are not there to show “we the people” had a substantial interest in interfering with Disney’s contract rights.
Best case the state can make is that DeSantis and the Florida GOP had an extremely good showing in the Nov. 2022 election, after they did what they did with RCID earlier that year. Though, as we all know (myself included), just because one votes for a specific politician does not mean they necessarily agree with every single thing they said/did.

Lilofan

Best case the state can make is that DeSantis and the Florida GOP had an extremely good showing in the Nov. 2022 election, after they did what they did with RCID earlier that year. Though, as we all know (myself included), just because one votes for a specific politician does not mean they necessarily agree with every single thing they said/did.
It is a lot different when talking to citizens of other states . When you try to make others drink the Kool Aid of Make America Florida , that's a roadblock right there.

RamblinWreck

They’ve made that case already and it requires someone to have paid no attention at all to find it convincing.

What they ended up doing to the district, well after the election, is not even remotely similar to the initial bill to dissolve the district. It in now way put Disney on a level playing field with anyone.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, there's a difference between a public mandate and a legally permissible substantial public interest. In other words, it doesn't matter how many people in Florida agree with an action intended to infringe on someone's constitutional rights because that, in itself, is illegal. It would have to be a showing that there was a permissible substantial interest in what was done to RCID that would justify interfering with Disney's constitutional rights.

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
36709098-A794-476F-93B1-AB769C362010.jpeg

Hopefully the board are all abiding by Florida-in-the-Sunshine laws. Has the board been sworn in yet?

lentesta

Premium Member
The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District Board of Supervisors have scheduled a special meeting for this Monday, May 1.

Here's the only item currently listed for new business -

4.1 Board discussion and direction to litigation counsel and authorization to defend District officials sued in official capacities.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there might be issues with them trying to be defended as a group.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom