News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

tissandtully

Given that he publicly discussed his intention to retaliate against Disney, then ordered special legislative sessions with the express purpose of passing the legislation re: RCID, signed the bills when he could have vetoed them, appointed the new board, and bragged about how "he" beat Disney, it seems hard to argue that he isn't culpable.

Probably an oversimplification, but it feels like if someone were to do the following:
  • Publicly state you're going to throw a pie at someone for saying something you didn't like
  • Order a pie from the local bakery.
  • Accept delivery of the pie (even though you could refuse if it's not what you wanted)
  • Throw the pie at your target
  • Brag that you hit your target with the pie
  • Get sued by person hit by pie.
  • Claim, "It's not my fault. The bakery made the pie."
Can we get more pie analogies?

Brian

Maybe they should lead the meeting off saying they are going to raise taxes to fight the case they will lose.
Though the Disney Springs tenants are collateral damage, higher taxes/dues are more or less a forgone conclusion of a costly legal fight for any CDD or HOA. I believe one member mentioned a few months ago that they sued their HOA and, though they won the case, ended up paying more that year in dues since the HOA had to defend against their lawsuit.

The money has to come from somewhere, and the CFTOD board can't tax only Disney, as much as I'm sure they'd like to.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
also notable... that amended memo was signed the morning of Apr 19th... the same morning the session was to start. Seems totally slimly

The regular session in 2022 ran January to March.

This particular session dealt with social media.

lazyboy97o

Though the Disney Springs tenants are collateral damage, higher taxes/dues are more or less a forgone conclusion of a costly legal fight for any CDD or HOA. I believe one member mentioned a few months ago that they sued their HOA and, though they won the case, ended up paying more that year in dues since the HOA had to defend against their lawsuit.

The money has to come from somewhere, and the CFTOD board can't tax only Disney, as much as I'm sure they'd like to.
The problem though is that the requirement to get consent of the landowners may still apply to the District.

Touchdown

All this arguing about the 1st A issues is well and good but can we at least acknowledge that the most likely scenario is a partial win for Disney on the contact law point and them being able to keep their contact?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Under what authority, though, could they tax tenants?

tissandtully

I'm surprised more tenants aren't showing up, like Art Smith or AMC heads, they can just point to the NBA Experience and say what DS is gonna look like if they all move to Flamingo Crossings

Brian

Under what authority, though, could they tax tenants?
I'm not certain, but the Orlando Business Journal (and WFTV, quoting them) seem to think they have the authority to do so.

Patcheslee

also notable... that amended memo was signed the morning of Apr 19th... the same morning the session was to start. Seems totally slimly
The meeting notes say the session was called to address a few districts. Which I wouldn't be surprised to see them argue RDIC wasn't singled out. What Disney will have to argue is their Board selection was changed, while the others stayed as they were.
Screenshot_20230427_170122_Drive.jpg

Surferboy567

I'm not certain, but the Orlando Business Journal (and WFTV, quoting them) seem to think they have the authority to do so.

Doesn’t the injuction stop them from doing this? Has that not been granted yet?

This is exactly what I was worried they could do in the short term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom