News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
And by the FL constitution, the legislature can only address items in the special session that are in the Governor's proclamation.

It's funny you mention that... because they just ignore it

The session that passed 4C which dissolved all the special districts?
Here's the call for Special Session - https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/SLA-BIZHUB22032913200.pdf
And the scope of the session?
session 2022c.png

And what is on the calendar for day 1 of the session?

calendar 2022c.png

Maybe a techincality that he didn't call the session for it...

I'm still trying to find the memo calling for 2023B session

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I hope we eventually get more details about the numerous times Disney tried reach out to the governors office or state legislature to try to resolve the impasse. In the lawsuit, they say they tried reaching out to them multiple times.

There are only two times I know they talked to each other. The first one being in May after the legislation was passed, and the administration sent to officials to WDW to initiate conversations, and then those conversations ended. The second time was about something in passing how Adam Babington reached out to the governors office.

Reports are that Chapek privately discussed the company's position on HB 1557 with the governor prior to release of his statement.

I'm pretty sure the company reached out to members of the Legislature through their registered lobbyists.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It's funny you mention that... because they just ignore it

The session that passed 4C which dissolved all the special districts?
Here's the call for Special Session - https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/SLA-BIZHUB22032913200.pdf
And the scope of the session?
View attachment 712958

And what is on the calendar for day 1 of the session?

View attachment 712959

Maybe a techincality that he didn't call the session for it...

I'm still trying to find the memo calling for 2023B session
The special session proclamation was amended.

https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/File...Second Proclamation 2022 SS C April 19-21.pdf
Screenshot_20230427-152226.png

Heppenheimer

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
This is hilarious.
The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District Board of Supervisors have scheduled a special meeting for this Monday, May 1.

Here's the only item currently listed for new business -

4.1 Board discussion and direction to litigation counsel and authorization to defend District officials sued in official capacities.

can’t wait to attend

Question: who will pay to defend the board members?

Also curious to see if any more businesses speak up about taxes being raised after they specifically mentioned they cannot afford it.

JAB

Given that he publicly discussed his intention to retaliate against Disney, then ordered special legislative sessions with the express purpose of passing the legislation re: RCID, signed the bills when he could have vetoed them, appointed the new board, and bragged about how "he" beat Disney, it seems hard to argue that he isn't culpable.

Probably an oversimplification, but it feels like if someone were to do the following:
  • Publicly state you're going to throw a pie at someone for saying something you didn't like
  • Order a pie from the local bakery.
  • Accept delivery of the pie (even though you could refuse if it's not what you wanted)
  • Throw the pie at your target
  • Brag that you hit your target with the pie
  • Get sued by person hit by pie.
  • Claim, "It's not my fault. The bakery made the pie."

flynnibus

Premium Member
Given that he publicly discussed his intention to retaliate against Disney, then ordered special legislative sessions with the express purpose of passing the legislation re: RCID, signed the bills when he could have vetoed them, appointed the new board, and bragged about how "he" beat Disney, it seems hard to argue that he isn't culpable.

Probably an oversimplification, but it feels like if someone were to do the following:
  • Publicly state you're going to throw a pie at someone for saying something you didn't like
  • Order a pie from the local bakery.
  • Accept delivery of the pie (even though you could refuse if it's not what you wanted)
  • Throw the pie at your target
  • Brag that you hit your target with the pie
  • Get sued by person hit by pie.
  • Claim, "It's not my fault. The bakery made the pie."
yeah but your analogy doesn't include being the governor and acts as the gov - different rules for government actions unfortunately.

seascape

The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District Board of Supervisors have scheduled a special meeting for this Monday, May 1.

Here's the only item currently listed for new business -

4.1 Board discussion and direction to litigation counsel and authorization to defend District officials sued in official capacities.

I may go to this since I will be at The Boardwalk. I hope many DVC Owners go and complain they want us to pay for their illegal Board.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I may go to this since I will be at The Boardwalk. I hope many DVC Owners go and complain they want us to pay for their illegal Board.
How much if you don’t mind me asking do DVC members typically pay RCID in taxes? This is a great point to bring up that I’m surprised no one has brought to the board yet. Speaking at the meeting is easy, just fill out a quick form, and it’s fine right at the start of the meeting so you don’t have to sit through all the boring stuff after if you don’t want to.

Brian

Well, the other thing he could have done differently is not called the special session to do this very thing. And by the FL constitution, the legislature can only address items in the special session that are in the Governor's proclamation.

So he had that extra legal hand in it that wouldn't have been there if this had been done in general session.
Agreed, but if we're talking about what the state might argue, they would likely say something to the effect of: "The legislature was under no obligation to produce a bill during the special session. They chose to do so."

As I said, it's a stretch of an argument, but they've got to come up with something.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How much if you don’t mind me asking do DVC members typically pay RCID in taxes? This is a great point to bring up that I’m surprised no one has brought to the board yet. Speaking at the meeting is easy, just fill out a quick form, and it’s fine right at the start of the meeting so you don’t have to sit through all the boring stuff after if you don’t want to.
Almost nothing

It’s Florida…it’s the SALES tax that disney generates that pays for the awful infrastructure 😎

drnilescrane

Found the 2022 condo association report for BLT, I assume the others are identical.

The amount of ad valorem taxes assessed against each Unit will be determined by the Orange County Property Appraiser’s Office and the Reedy Creek Improvement District Appraiser, respectively. The estimated ad valorem tax assessments to be included on your 2023 Annual Dues billing statement will be $1.7648 per Vacation Point. This is DVCM’s best estimate of the actual taxes, which will be assessed for the tax year 2023. DVCM does not certify this ad valorem tax estimate. Each Owner is responsible for his or her per Vacation Point share of the actual tax bill received each year from the tax collector’s office. Any difference between the tax estimate and actual taxes paid on the Owner’s behalf will be applied towards the Owner’s subsequent year’s tax assessment.

OC Millage is about 4.43. RCID is 13.57.

So about 68% of that $1.7648 per point is going to RCID, assuming I'm understanding how this works correctly.

Which would mean the average 150 point contract holder is indirectly paying RCID about $180 in taxes.

GBAB1973

Here's an article about that.

"Florida’s Attorney General doesn’t understand why Ron DeSantis is a defendant in Disney’s lawsuit against the state.

In comments made on Fox & Friends, Ashley Moody said she was stumped about why DeSantis was named, even though the Governor has spent weeks trashing and targeting the entertainment company in speech after speech.

She suggested that even though the Governor signed legislation changing Disney’s special district, he somehow wasn’t responsible.

“You know, it was the Florida Legislature and the Central Florida Oversight Board (SIC) that took actions that effectively eliminated special privileges or a self-governing authority of Disney,” Moody said.

“So it puzzled me, and you wonder if it was an attempt by Disney, maybe to put pressure on this Governor to shut him up, to make him stop talking about these privileges or maybe stop talking about their change in approach to kids,” she speculated, referring to the company opposing 2022’s Parental Rights in Education law."

Full article below.

LOL.

I can also guarantee this won't be the craziest commentary that comes from the DeSantis camp over the next few weeks/months.

mightynine

GBAB1973

However, the AG running her mouth isn't good. We're not talking about some press person...she's the chief legal officer of the state.

As someone said, they are laying the groundwork on making claims that DeSantis wasn't the entity that actually made the changes. First, they will go on a media blitz. Watch other DeSantis minions make similar claims on right wing outlets. You'll possibly see some op-eds in the WSJ, etc. also try to make similar claims. Then they will show up in court and try to make a legal argument that he's not party to the suit.

They have to do this because DeSantis was an arrogant fool by continually bragging that he took on Disney himself. I mean he wasn't even vague about it, he was pretty clear he did this.

Also going to be quite the campaign issue............. he's going to want to run on him being the guy that took it to Disney but his legal team is going to be arguing that he can't be a defendant because he had nothing to do with the legislature reshaping the district via legislation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom