News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Cliff

This whole Disney vs Florida, legislators and Governor thing has gone way off the rails. The Walt Disney Corporation has attracted hundreds of millions to the state, created hundreds of thousands of state jobs and paid billions in state taxes. They have brought so much joy to the people of this state.....so YES...they ARE entitled to control their own local government. So what?...Disney has a puppet government. Big deal!...any company that is as loved as this this one has earned the right to have whatever it wants.

This thing just needs to end before Florida scares Disney away....then the state will really feel sorry! Just let Disney have their way... move on and look the other way. The same way its always been done since the late 60's....why stop now?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Yeah, but that is related to the contracts topics - not the challenges to 4C and 9B.

State can easily argue there are "legitimate state interest" in deciding how a district is managed.
I think the need to call a mulligan undermines the need. It gets into state-specific matters, but there were also issues with how they went about that management.

Chi84

Premium Member
No, even the NEED to quantify that motive is not part of the discussion... It's considered immunity and the motive angle irrelevant.

Kensignton wasn't about a failure to prove motive - quite the opposite - it found motive was irrelevant because the action itself was otherwise legitimate legislative action.
The state is going to have a much more difficult time establishing a legitimate legislative action here.

The budget in Kensington was an ordinary budget passed in the usual fashion that impacted only 1.8% of the plaintiff’s funding. It was a facially legitimate budget that served a substantial government interest.

The draft card legislation prohibiting altering or destroying the cards in O’Brien was also found to have several legitimate purposes unrelated to the plaintiff's claimed violation.

The legislation directed at Disney was pretty specifically targeted toward them so establishing that it was facially legitimate to serve a substantial public interest may be more difficult. You are correct that legislative immunity is broadly protected, but constitutional violations are seldom as blatant as the ones seen here.

There's more to say about both of these cases, but it's probably more efficient to wait for the state's response before going into any in-depth analysis.

Patcheslee

Not 100% sure how open Sunshine State law is about things being public. But could the quote below mean they could request all records of such discussions, because DeSantis admitted to them. Taken from the top of page 20.
Screenshot_20230426_194727_Chrome.jpg

RamblinWreck

So how long do we have to wait for discovery to start?

I can only imagine how entertaining the communications between the DeSantis Admin and the CFTOD board will be. Both before they were installed and after.

Plus the communications between the DeSantis Admin and the legislature.

Is it possible any of these could cause additional legal woes for the governor?

lazyboy97o

Today’s Board of Supervisors meeting is a pretty damning bit of evidence against public need. Constituents presented concerns with the Board’s planned actions and they were summarily ignored because the public concerns didn’t align with the board and governor’s pre-existing desires.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not 100% sure how open Sunshine State law is about things being public. But could the quote below mean they could request all records of such discussions, because DeSantis admitted to them. Taken from the top of page 20.
View attachment 712765
I imagine they could ask for public records, but not sure they need them. He wrote that he did this in his own book so how can he dispute he didn’t say it? Seems like a slam dunk to prove.

lazyboy97o

I can only imagine how entertaining the communications between the DeSantis Admin and the CFTOD board will be. Both before they were installed and after.

I think the problem would be any sort of standing to create legal woes. Could the various local governments and other districts seek any sort of compensation for expenses incurred trying to figure out how to absorb the districts?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Today’s Board of Supervisors meeting is a pretty damning bit of evidence against public need. Constituents presented concerns with the Board’s planned actions and they were summarily ignored because the public concerns didn’t align with the board and governor’s pre-existing desires.
Yep, and while I sympathize with the situation that those Disney operating participants are in, it was sad to see them talking to a board that really only care about one thing, and that is following the direction of DeSantis to punish DIsney.

GrumpyFan

Yep, and while I sympathize with the situation that those Disney operating participants are in, it was sad to see them talking to a board that really only care about one thing, and that is following the direction of DeSantis to punish DIsney.
It should be a big concern for all businesses and individuals in the state.
It sends a message that if you don't comply or speak out against the policies, they will change the laws to punish you for it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This whole Disney vs Florida, legislators and Governor thing has gone way off the rails. The Walt Disney Corporation has attracted hundreds of millions to the state, created hundreds of thousands of state jobs and paid billions in state taxes. They have brought so much joy to the people of this state.....so YES...they ARE entitled to control their own local government. So what?...Disney has a puppet government. Big deal!...any company that is as loved as this this one has earned the right to have whatever it wants.

This thing just needs to end before Florida scares Disney away....then the state will really feel sorry! Just let Disney have their way... move on and look the other way. The same way its always been done since the late 60's....why stop now?

You are completely missing the point.

Figgy1

I became rather upset when the woman speaking for Basin was also talking about how it would hurt not just them but also their suppliers which are small businesses. This whole we know what show is hurting not just Disney which can absorb most of what is being thrown at them but it's the smaller companies that are going to feel the most pain:(

UNCgolf

They have to have a 26(f) conference to discuss discovery and agree on a plan, then parties have to actually collect the requested information, review it for responsiveness and privilege, etc. so it'll likely be several months before any document productions are made.

Plus I doubt this is going to be very amicable, so there will probably be numerous motions related to discovery that need a judge's order.

EDIT: The actual collection process can be pretty laborious and time intensive. Once individuals with potentially relevant information are identified, they have to have government/business email inboxes collected, anything stored on cloud services, potentially personal email/cell phone data if it contains relevant information, any external hard drives, any hard copy paper documents they have stored somewhere, etc. -- I once spent two days at the HQ of a large corporation digging through hard copy paper documents from various C suite offices.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's more to say about both of these cases, but it's probably more efficient to wait for the state's response before going into any in-depth analysis
I found it interesting because it highlights an avenue that isn’t dependent on avoiding the intent angle…. And with the bizarre behavior from the FL GOP that maybe could explain their complete lack of restraint or remorse?

If they are operating under the guidance telling them they have legislative immunity — does that make some of their behavior more understandable?

I think it also is relevant that people are aware the topic is far more nuanced than “i was targeted”…. So when we get to the actual court portion peoole aren’t so blindsided

Chi84

Premium Member
I found it interesting because it highlights an avenue that isn’t dependent on avoiding the intent angle…. And with the bizarre behavior from the FL GOP that maybe could explain their complete lack of restraint or remorse?

If they are operating under the guidance telling them they have legislative immunity — does that make some of their behavior more understandable?

I think it also is relevant that people are aware the topic is far more nuanced than “i was targeted”…. So when we get to the actual court portion peoole aren’t so blindsided
I can say that neither Kensington nor O'Brien involved a legislative act directed so completely against an individual party. This is pretty unique in terms of legislative action - it's generally presumed that the legislature acts in the public interest and that its actions may only collaterally affect a party's constitutional rights.

durangojim

I personally think the Republican party is destroying itself…And Trump and Desantis will now continue to destroy the party further If Republicans want to survive they need to separate themselves from those 2…otherwise it will be a party of ists and isms…I know it’s not all Republicans but as long as they want to continue that narrative let them burn
Thing is, who in their right mind would ever want to run for office these days? Heck, my undergrad degree is in Political Science. I once had thoughts of going into public service and then realized I’d be villified for every mistake I ever made in my life. I could do more good by becoming a physician and personal power and croneyism wasn’t that important to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can say that neither Kensington nor O'Brien involved a legislative act directed so completely against an individual party. This is pretty unique in terms of legislative action - it's generally presumed that the legislature acts in the public interest and that its actions may only collaterally affect a party's constitutional rights.
Im not saying they are right… I’m just trying to figure out what could possibly be going through their heads :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I personally think the Republican party is destroying itself…And Trump and Desantis will now continue to destroy the party further If Republicans want to survive they need to separate themselves from those 2…otherwise it will be a party of ists and isms…I know it’s not all Republicans but as long as they want to continue that narrative let them burn

A bit off topic there chief.
It is off topic…and not correct grammar…cause it’s not the past tense.

It’s done. And the key is “actuarial tables”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom