News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
This lawyer is hardly pro-DeSantis but thinks most of Disney’s claims have little merit.

I’m wondering if anyone has thoughts on his points.

I'm not sure he's actually paying attention?

Their taking clause claim is not over their 'sweetheart regulatory deal' -- It's about the developer agreement contract

And his reason to dismiss the other points is basically 'because I have said so'

His twitter feed is like 95% political... so not exactly ready to believe he's objective.

He doesn't put forth very convincing arguments... even if he has qualifications.

RamblinWreck

I'm not sure he's actually paying attention?

Their taking clause claim is not over their 'sweetheart regulatory deal' -- It's about the developer agreement contract

And his reason to dismiss the other points is basically 'because I have said so'

His twitter feed is like 95% political... so not exactly ready to believe he's objective.

He doesn't put forth very convincing arguments... even if he has qualifications.
I certainly didn’t dive too far into his material but his thread in the first amendment portion started with a disclaimer that he believes what DeSantis is doing is awful so I was at least intrigued about his take on Disney not having much of a case.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why are you surprised? The state (DeSantis, legislature, and the various people advising them) have been reacting in real time throughout this entire venture. They've yet to exhibit any semblance of anticipating the "opponent's" next move.
Yeah they have been quite far behind from the start. It probably also doesn’t help that the Gov wasn‘t even in the country let alone the state when this dropped.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I certainly didn’t dive too far into his material but his thread in the first amendment portion started with a disclaimer that he believes what DeSantis is doing is awful so I was at least intrigued about his take on Disney not having much of a case.
Also further in the thread he does seem to take TWDC’s side on the due process clause argument. I disagree with him on his 1A take since I think there’s plenty of case law there.

Takings Clause and Contract Clause could go either way. But even he notes they have an obligation to shareholders to file on all plausible grounds.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Disney Lawyers Are Done Playing, Sue Florida Gov. DeSantis​

ACFB27F7-59FD-4796-8F99-94A819A90E8E.jpeg

The actual article rehashes stuff already known here but I thought the headline and picture were cool 😎

lewisc

If they go with their army of $41k/yr recent grad civil servant attorneys, they're going to be eaten alive.
And that's bad?
I'm not shocked but somewhat surprised the lawyers for Florida and the board didn't have a response ready to go even if it was "we're not going to comment on pending litigation at this time"
Florida has been running behind, witness ignoramce of the prior boards deals.
I thought the board would have filed suit in state court, to void the deals, before Disney sued in federal court.

I'll speculate the board thought they had days, not minutes, to file first.

Brian

This speech was from 4/21 (pre-lawsuit). The reason I am posting this, despite his multiple mischaracterizations of the situation, is to share DeSantis' philosophy. Many have rightfully pointed out that his actions do not comport with traditional ideological conservatism. This is his response to that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This was from 4/21 (pre-lawsuit). The reason I am posting this, despite his multiple mischaracterizations of the situation, is to share DeSantis' philosophy. Many have rightfully pointed out that his actions do not comport with traditional ideological conservatism. This is his response to that.

That‘s some crazy spin. He fails to realize there’s a difference between “not deferring” to a corporation and attacking the corporation in an attempt to cause economic damage. Nobody is saying he had to defer to Disney and reverse course on the bill he supported. Reversing course would have been deferring. Threatening tolls and taxes and prisons built to damage the company’s bottom line and business in the state isn’t “not deferring” it goes far beyond that.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This speech was from 4/21 (pre-lawsuit). The reason I am posting this, despite his multiple mischaracterizations of the situation, is to share DeSantis' philosophy. Many have rightfully pointed out that his actions do not comport with traditional ideological conservatism. This is his response to that.

His philosophy has been to shut down corporations that he doesn't agree wtih. He can call it what he wants, but it's not ideologically conservative in the traditional sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

This was from 4/21 (pre-lawsuit), and aside from the multiple mischaracterizations of the situation, the reason I am posting this is to share DeSantis' philosophy. Many have rightfully pointed out that his actions do not comport with traditional ideological conservatism. This is his response to that.

Corporatism would be farming out what would be the traditional role of government to corporations. You could argue the original 1967 RCID was corporatism but you could also argue the central Florida area was so under developed that this was borne out of necessity.

By over correcting and creating a different standard for Disney in terms of ride inspections, tax penalties, etc. that would not apply to other large theme parks that to is a form of corporatism. Retaining special tax status for other districts is also a form of corporate welfare. The contractors of the Villages are also beneficiaries of a form of corporatism so why cherry pick Disney?

True “conservatism” would be setting a standard set of rules across the board, eliminating all special districts statewide and transferring debt obligations to localities and/or the state general fund and its taxpayers and treating all state employers equally regardless of if/how they chose to exercise their first amendment rights.

MagicHappens1971

DeSantis was likely hoping the news cycle would be all over his successful legislative session launching into formally declaring his candidacy.

Now if you Google “DeSantis”, 100% of the results are about Disney suing him.

That has to be steaming him up.
Yeah, this is the current trending articles. I'm assuming one of those bottom two are about his campaign, but I haven't clicked on them.

satans spawn.jpg

MagicHappens1971

Corporatism would be farming out what would be the traditional role of government to corporations. You could argue the original 1967 RCID was corporatism but you could also argue the central Florida area was so under developed that this was borne out of necessity.
RCID was borne out of necessity. It's something so many have neglected to mention or pretend to be ignorant of. It remained in place as it was mutually beneficial to the state, Disney, and Orange and Osceola counties.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You’re submitting what politicians say as “evidence”?

…well that’s….an “idea”…for sure 👍🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom