News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Might that math change when you also have a vested interest in making sure the guy you are suing doesn’t become president?
I’d estimate given the very apparent high profile nature of the circumstances that the TWDC legal team took a conservative approach to calculations of litigation risk so my personal estimate is that the approximated percentage of success is even higher. I have no insider knowledge of how TWDC legal department games this out though.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Didn’t a court rule that the DA DeSantis canned had his first amendment rights violated, and then did nothing about it?
Yes, but because they argued it was a firing he would have done anyway (without the 1A issue).

They don't have that same argument here as they have even admitted they didn't care about RCID until it became a woke battle.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think Disney opened a bigger Pandora's Box by being sneaky to keep control of RCID. They acted like they were going accept it and than tried to keep it last minute with clever wording. I may be wrong but I don't think much would have changed if they had lost control of RCID. Now Disney has made DeSantis even more determined to crush The Mouse. It will probably cost Disney millions in lost revenue due boycotting company wide.
Can said boycotts start right about a week before my next planned visit:) From what I’m hearing the parks have never been more crowded so I could use some 2 or 3 crowd days.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, no - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the jurors to make their decision based solely on the law - I mean, they are going to take a legal oath pledging to do just that.

That said, I don't think that argument would hold as much sway as you think it would. I mean, a single mother working two jobs just to keep a one-bedroom apartment running, or a single person who can just barely afford to live with roommates who's big dream is to get an apartment of their own some day, etc. - I don't think they are going to be swayed with "Hey, Disney says they are going to spend billions in the next ten years, surely my life will improve if they do!"
They might when they hear 13,000 jobs. Depending on where they are in the pay scale they may also be very happy to see the new $18/hr min wage.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This lawyer is hardly pro-DeSantis but thinks most of Disney’s claims have little merit.

I’m wondering if anyone has thoughts on his points.

I'm not sure he's actually paying attention?

Their taking clause claim is not over their 'sweetheart regulatory deal' -- It's about the developer agreement contract

And his reason to dismiss the other points is basically 'because I have said so'

His twitter feed is like 95% political... so not exactly ready to believe he's objective.

He doesn't put forth very convincing arguments... even if he has qualifications.

RamblinWreck

I'm not sure he's actually paying attention?

Their taking clause claim is not over their 'sweetheart regulatory deal' -- It's about the developer agreement contract

And his reason to dismiss the other points is basically 'because I have said so'

His twitter feed is like 95% political... so not exactly ready to believe he's objective.

He doesn't put forth very convincing arguments... even if he has qualifications.
I certainly didn’t dive too far into his material but his thread in the first amendment portion started with a disclaimer that he believes what DeSantis is doing is awful so I was at least intrigued about his take on Disney not having much of a case.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why are you surprised? The state (DeSantis, legislature, and the various people advising them) have been reacting in real time throughout this entire venture. They've yet to exhibit any semblance of anticipating the "opponent's" next move.
Yeah they have been quite far behind from the start. It probably also doesn’t help that the Gov wasn‘t even in the country let alone the state when this dropped.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I certainly didn’t dive too far into his material but his thread in the first amendment portion started with a disclaimer that he believes what DeSantis is doing is awful so I was at least intrigued about his take on Disney not having much of a case.
Also further in the thread he does seem to take TWDC’s side on the due process clause argument. I disagree with him on his 1A take since I think there’s plenty of case law there.

Takings Clause and Contract Clause could go either way. But even he notes they have an obligation to shareholders to file on all plausible grounds.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Disney Lawyers Are Done Playing, Sue Florida Gov. DeSantis​

ACFB27F7-59FD-4796-8F99-94A819A90E8E.jpeg

The actual article rehashes stuff already known here but I thought the headline and picture were cool 😎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom