News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JoeT63

I think Disney opened a bigger Pandora's Box by being sneaky to keep control of RCID. They acted like they were going accept it and than tried to keep it last minute with clever wording. I may be wrong but I don't think much would have changed if they had lost control of RCID. Now Disney has made DeSantis even more determined to crush The Mouse. It will probably cost Disney millions in lost revenue due boycotting company wide.
Gawrsh, I hope the WDW boycott starts in early June. We get there June 16th!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I may be wrong but I don't think much would have changed if they had lost control of RCID.
Did you not see the state moving to redefine regulation of transportation... the agendas on Disney content... the completely irrelevant COVID regulation... etc?

Ron and his cronies were not satisfied with just taking over Disney's authority - they set out to enforce their will on Disney as well. The outright said so, even BEFORE they knew about the contracts. So no, I don't agree with you that much would have changed if Disney just let RCID go without any other actions.

Brian

I'm not shocked but somewhat surprised the lawyers for Florida and the board didn't have a response ready to go even if it was "we're not going to comment on pending litigation at this time"
Why are you surprised? The state (DeSantis, legislature, and the various people advising them) have been reacting in real time throughout this entire venture. They've yet to exhibit any semblance of anticipating the "opponent's" next move.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes but there's probably going to be an injunction so I don't see how they can raise taxes when they have no power and how can RC be held accountable for the bills if the district is restored
The injunction wouldn't prevent the district from operating... it would constrain their actions - most probably around the actions defined in the contracts in dispute. And considering the new board is already in place and has already transitioned, it's unlikely the court would force them to go back in time and put the old board back. At best you might get some sort of receivership/proxy leadership while it's in dispute. But I think even that is far-fetched. I would expect any injunction to scope just the board from messing with the existing land management plan and force them not to pass any new resolutions that would be considered targeting disney specifically.

The court isn't going to shutdown the government - it will find some sustaining operating point if it got involved at this point.

Figgy1

Why are you surprised? The state (DeSantis, legislature, and the various people advising them) have been reacting in real time throughout this entire venture. They've yet to exhibit any semblance of anticipating the "opponent's" next move.
The administration yes, the 800 per hour lawyers not so much

Touchdown

The injunction wouldn't prevent the district from operating... it would constrain their actions - most probably around the actions defined in the contracts in dispute. And considering the new board is already in place and has already transitioned, it's unlikely the court would force them to go back in time and put the old board back. At best you might get some sort of receivership/proxy leadership while it's in dispute. But I think even that is far-fetched. I would expect any injunction to scope just the board from messing with the existing land management plan and force them not to pass any new resolutions that would be considered targeting disney specifically.

The court isn't going to shutdown the government - it will find some sustaining operating point if it got involved at this point.
I imagine they would have to follow the “illegal contract” to its letter until the case is settled giving Disney status quo.

Figgy1

I didn't mean they would be shut down but their actions/spending could be constrained to what RC was spending on

BuzzedPotatoHead89

So clearly the things being alleged by Disney are true.

But what are their chances of actually winning?
As a general rule of thumb corporate legal departments in Fortune 500 companies will usually not recommend bringing litigation unless there is at least an over 50% estimated chance at ultimate success as determined/vetted by outside counsel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom