News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

BuzzedPotatoHead89

DeSantis doesn’t have to moderate. If he’s a lame duck Governor in a year or so with 2.5 years left and a failed POTUS run on his resume the legislature can act without his blessing. He controls them now due to his popularity escalated by his potential POTUS run but eventually that will wear on guys who have their own careers. I’m not saying it will happen but it could.
I get that but I think the challenge here is a political one which I have to be cautious about how I frame here. The perception is the base voters that control the balance of power on the state legislature in Florida want to see a certain POV pushed and the members of the state legislature will oblige in the interest of advancing their own personal careers.

I think we’re overestimating how much of this is about fueling the ego of one man (DeSantis) vs the adherence of an ideological position that’s larger than one individual. While some of this is certainly in furtherance of DeSantis’ career, a lot of these other folks are either “true believers” or individual opportunists riding the wave of discontent that want to punish Disney for a perceived grievance regardless of who the the Governor is.

MagicRat

Florida Ron should have took notes from Missouri’s Greitens and Hawley, use the new way of catering to your base but don’t go too far or you will drown in a swamp!

Last edited:

Figgy1

Issue a single $1 bond every year that earns 100% interest to be repaid over the next 25 years.
1682535412263.png

tallica

I think Disney opened a bigger Pandora's Box by being sneaky to keep control of RCID. They acted like they were going accept it and than tried to keep it last minute with clever wording. I may be wrong but I don't think much would have changed if they had lost control of RCID. Now Disney has made DeSantis even more determined to crush The Mouse. It will probably cost Disney millions in lost revenue due boycotting company wide.

MagicHappens1971

I think Disney opened a bigger Pandora's Box by being sneaky to keep control of RCID. They acted like they were going accept it and than tried to keep it last minute with clever wording. I may be wrong but I don't think much would have changed if they had lost control of RCID. Now Disney has made DeSantis even more determined to crush The Mouse. It will probably cost Disney millions in lost revenue due boycotting company wide.
This post is obtuse. DeSantis and his cronies were going to use their power and influence to prevent WDW from doing things, such as building an attraction in an effort to influence Disneys overall content. Disney is not stupid and did not make obnoxious statements all over the media about their intentions, they made a smart move by entering into a legally binding contract with RCID. r DeSantis and his legislature will not win. I don’t know what “boycotting” you’re claiming is happening, but it’s not. This is a culture war waged by DeSantis, that he will not win. If this gets escalated to the Supreme Court, which it may, they will have to rule in Disneys favor, or overturn Citizens United, which they won’t.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAN J

By who?

lentesta

Premium Member
It's a very well-drafted complaint. There is nothing in it that is even close to "frivolous." It's clear it was drafted not only with the court in mind, but also with PR in mind.

Yeahhhh...I mean, the contract clause and due process stuff will appeal to originalists. The 1A claims will appeal to others. There's something for most jurists to focus on. And there's a lot of good "court of public opinion" stuff. Plus a nice acknowledgement that they're motivated to protect Cast members. So they've addressed the courts, the public, and the CMs. Well written.

Fido Chuckwagon

Unlikely.

Figgy1

If they go with their army of $41k/yr recent grad civil servant attorneys, they're going to be eaten alive.
I wonder if any of them are thrown into the fray will quit due to the amount of stress compared to the pay
That said this is going to cost the state a small fortune
When the state loses who has to cover the legal bills of the new board

RamblinWreck

Coming back to Disney pointing out that they are able to fight back against this while others in the state can’t…

Maybe Disney should bankroll several more lawsuits for people and companies who have been obvious targets of the governor’s retaliatory tendencies.

They will make more money this year than ever...

Last edited by a moderator:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Read the lawsuit. Here's the link: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23789600-file-stamped-disney-complaint1

Also, given how busy the parks have been, they're clearly not suffering.

tissandtully

Tell me you don't know any of the facts without telling me you don't know any of the facts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom