News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
True but it's usually the easiest way to obtain one
It's necessary, but not sufficient.

The harm has to be irreparable. If the thing you're seeking to enjoin would cause you $500,000 of harm, but the defendant has the means to pay you the $500,000 should you prevail in the lawsuit, and the damage done to you is limited to the $500,000, the injunction is unlikely to be issued.

Essentially, the court will allow the harm to occur, because you can be made whole by prevailing in the lawsuit.

Chi84

Premium Member

The harm has to be irreparable. If the thing you're seeking to enjoin would cause you $500,000 of harm, but the defendant has the means to pay you the $500,000 should you prevail in the lawsuit, and the damage done to you is limited to the $500,000, the injunction is unlikely to be issued.
Also there is always a requirement that the party seeking the injunction establish some degree of likelihood that they will succeed on the merits. The exact wording can differ by jurisdiction.

lentesta

Premium Member

Essentially, the court will allow the harm to occur, because you can be made whole by prevailing in the lawsuit.

It's three conditions for an injunction, right?
  1. Immediate harm
  2. Irreparable harm (so, can't be made whole)
  3. Likely to prevail on the merits of the case
I'm sure there's other stuff to factor in.

Figgy1

I'm certain Disney's lawyers will be able to come up with several reasons it will be irreparable.

lazyboy97o

Since the District would be seeking the dissolution of the contract, I’m not sure an injunction would be necessary at this moment. The court would have to issue some sort preliminary voiding. As of right now, there also isn’t really anything for Disney to have enjoined. The District has not yet moved to change the land use regulations, so even if they’re operating from the view that the contract is void nothing really changes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since the District would be seeking the dissolution of the contract, I’m not sure an injunction would be necessary at this moment. The court would have to issue some sort preliminary voiding. As of right now, there also isn’t really anything for Disney to have enjoined. The District has not yet moved to change the land use regulations, so even if they’re operating from the view that the contract is void nothing really changes.
I was about to write something similar. I would think the contract still stands unless it’s declared void by the courts. Disney doesn’t need to do anything right now. If the district fails to comply with the contract or attempts to block development then Disney would need to act. The injunction would be to force the district to comply with the contract until a court can rule on it. I don’t know if anything changes if/when the legislature passes their bill allowing the district to void the contract. Then Disney may have to file something to challenge that law.

JAB

It’s funny how they try to make it seem like they aren’t trying to target Disney but the wording is specifically tailored toward Disney only.
Exactly. They never explicitly name Disney, but the criteria are always drafted in a way such that it only applies to Disney. Or as the kids on the InterWebs say these days... "Tell me you're targeting Disney without telling me you're targeting Disney."

DCBaker

Premium Member

Link to the text -

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 5.08.24 PM.png

JohnD

Exactly. They never explicitly name Disney, but the criteria are always drafted in a way such that it only applies to Disney. Or as the kids on the InterWebs say these days... "Tell me you're targeting Disney without telling me you're targeting Disney."
Every bill crafted in the Florida Legislature affecting Disney, including exemptions, is always written in such a way to specifically refer to WDW without naming the company or the theme park resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom