News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Kamikaze

If they lose the (potential) lawsuit, how many of the board members resign? I'm guessing most, if not all. They're not interested in actually running a municipal district; that's not what they (thought) they signed up for.
Probably all of them.

Should be noted though, that it will take YEARS to resolve any case that makes it to court.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If they lose the (potential) lawsuit, how many of the board members resign? I'm guessing most, if not all. They're not interested in actually running a municipal district; that's not what they (thought) they signed up for.
Based on my impressions of the meeting...

Absolute clown-world hacks: Martin Garcia, Michael Sasso, Bridget Ziegler

Why is this guy here: Ron Peri

Possibly competent and intelligent: Brian Aungst, Jr. and Daniel Langley (aka Colin Robinson)

JAB

If the board loses the lawsuit over the validity of the contracts, I'm not sure they'd give up immediately. They still potentially have options with the legislature's new bill to let the board retroactively void the contracts, so they'd likely wait to see if that passes (and then possibly even through Disney's inevitable litigation over the constitutionality of that bill).

UNCgolf

Probably all of them.

Should be noted though, that it will take YEARS to resolve any case that makes it to court.

Eh, not necessarily. If it goes through appellate proceedings, absolutely, but if DeSantis is no longer governor who knows what happens. The state may give up on the case (and not just this specific case, but any related litigation).

Regardless, I meant in general -- i.e. how many of the current board members would remain if it's clear to them that they're not going to have any real authority to punish Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This generally refers to illegal acts, or bribery, especially in legal contexts
Not necessarily. But that's not the context it's being used here.. should be obvious. And in fact it's the opposite here.. it's showing there is a value in exchange... establishing quid pro pro, not the absence of it (as one would argue in a lopsided or 'sweetheart' deal)

Kamikaze

Eh, not necessarily. If it goes through appellate proceedings, absolutely, but if DeSantis is no longer governor who knows what happens. The state may give up on the case (and not just this specific case, but any related litigation).

Regardless, I meant in general -- i.e. how many of the current board members would remain if it's clear to them that they're not going to have any real authority to punish Disney.
Forget appellate. If this lawsuit was filed even today, they would have an initial hearing in a month or two, and the case wouldn't be heard until probably Feb 2024 at the earliest. That's without any delays or posturing. Appeals would be after that. The state might drop the case at some point, sure, but if its this Board suing, that chance is less likely.

You have to remember that these board members are stubborn and think they're right. They'd stay on during any wait for cases to be heard. Once it was clear they weren't getting their way they'd be out in a second, though.

UNCgolf

Forget appellate. If this lawsuit was filed even today, they would have an initial hearing in a month or two, and the case wouldn't be heard until probably Feb 2024 at the earliest. That's without any delays or posturing. Appeals would be after that. The state might drop the case at some point, sure, but if its this Board suing, that chance is less likely.

You have to remember that these board members are stubborn and think they're right. They'd stay on during any wait for cases to be heard. Once it was clear they weren't getting their way they'd be out in a second, though.

I'm thinking along the lines of a successful motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment. With the facts we have, those aren't out of the realm of possibility -- e.g., it's possible a judge could rule the board doesn't have standing (I'm not suggesting a judge actually will make that ruling; just that it's possible). It wouldn't be immediate, but it could be dealt with this calendar year.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

If this goes to court in the year (let’s say for arguments sake) the time it takes to go to court does the contract stay in place? Does that mean the board can’t do anything in that years time?

lazyboy97o

They don’t have a big bit of the authority they hoped, but they still have other authority that’s been discussed.

UNCgolf

They don’t have a big bit of the authority they hoped, but they still have other authority that’s been discussed.

They definitely still have some -- but maybe not enough for them to consider it worth the time involved. Especially for someone like Bridget Ziegler, who seems to have legitimately thought she was going to be able to approve Disney's media output like a censorship board.

Figgy1

If this goes to court in the year (let’s say for arguments sake) the time it takes to go to court does the contract stay in place? Does that mean the board can’t do anything in that years time?
Disney should be able to get an injunction against the board doing anything citing harm should anything go forward before the case is settled

Kamikaze

I'm thinking along the lines of a successful motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment. With the facts we have, those aren't out of the realm of possibility -- e.g., it's possible a judge could rule the board doesn't have standing (I'm not suggesting a judge actually will make that ruling; just that it's possible). It wouldn't be immediate, but it could be dealt with this calendar year.
I doubt any case closes within 2 years of it being filed, forget within 2023.

Rich Brownn

Disney's legal team:

Suit Up How I Met Your Mother GIF by Laff
Reminds me of the Comedy Warehouse ditty : " Chim Chim cherrie, you miss with Disney you mess with me, Chim chin Charue , cause we're Disney's lawyers and we love to sue"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom