News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
there probably has been more posts about this poll in this thread then there were actual respondents ;)

Why on earth would anyone need or want a special taxing district? I know people can be silly, but to dislike something simply because they can't have one themselves seems a bit farfetched.

It’s a means to an end. You want a stadium near your business? You want traffic alievated in your area? You want new innovations in your area to make you a differentiator?

Of course what made rcid unique is that disney was basically the only landowner in said district - where in most cases the voluntary types are over a number of landowners with common interests or needs.

But we should recognize that rcid was always about control for disney. It was its genesis and why it was and still is desirable to disney. Disney could have built the same infrastructure and ran it privately or proffered it to the counties… but this arrangement eases things while also insulating the counties… resulting in a quid pro pro.

While some people maybe against it philosophically- it proved to be successful

Last edited:

Patcheslee

There's a website to track lobbyist appearances, no Disney Lobbyists on SB1604 or HB439 yet. Unless someone wants to pull 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon with it. Found the website when DeSantis said Disney lobbied against trafficking. (That one came up with the Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association lobbyists, which has 10,000 members so hard to say "Disney is against".)

Vegas Disney Fan

A coworker brought up DeSantis last night at work and kind of put this in a new perspective for me, he was excited Trump had competition and was hoping DeSantis could get the nomination, I said I was excited too but he’d lost me over the Disney feud, and my coworker said “what Disney feud?” He had absolutely no clue it even existed.

We are all paying close attention to this because we’re Disney fans but I suspect a lot of (if not most) people have never given it a single thought.

Prince-1

A coworker brought up DeSantis last night at work and kind of put this in a new perspective for me, he was excited Trump had competition and was hoping DeSantis could get the nomination, I said I was excited too but he’d lost me over the Disney feud, and my coworker said “what Disney feud?” He had absolutely no clue it even existed.

We are all paying close attention to this because we’re Disney fans but I suspect a lot of (if not most) people have never given it a single thought.

This feud has been discussed all over the national news for weeks so I would say most people have a clue what’s going on even if they don’t follow all the details.

Tha Realest

The list of RCID landowners was posted here a while back. I believe there were somewhere around 25 listed but I don’t remember seeing DoD on the list. Maybe it’s a shell company that owns for DoD. Either way I agree that they may not be considered “affected” since they do not control development.
I’m sure the DOD is pretty chill about not having a say in surrounding development.

Vegas Disney Fan

This feud has been discussed all over the national news for weeks so I would say most people have a clue what’s going on even if they don’t follow all the details.

Probably a vague one at most though, and likely biased one way or the other based on what news they read/watch.

He knew they were taking on Disney over being “woke” but that was the extent of his knowledge, he had no idea it was still ongoing and had no idea what they’d actually done or what RCID was. Probably read a headline or two and that was it.

Tha Realest

Why was the BOS agenda packet for 2-8-23 just updated on Friday? It looks substantially smaller than what was there before. And it’s not clear what was posted in advance of meetings as required by FL law.

1D039968-FB13-4C4B-B3FF-1CE4E6B22590.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member

100% agree. That’s also why that poll to me is bogus. If you offered “don’t know“ as a 3rd option my guess is that gets the majority of the votes. Given only yes or no people with no actual knowledge read the words given (which were slanted) and they picked.

I actually think the “prison joke” was a terrible idea for DeSantis. A lot of the national coverage I’ve seen revolves around that threat. A lot of non-news sources were mocking him for it. People here who strongly back the Governor are insisting it was a joke but the national media has picked it up and run with it. Nobody cares about a petty dispute over a contract but when the headline is DeSantis threatening to build prison at WDW it makes him seem unhinged and irrational at a time when many Americans were hoping for an adult in the room. It may play well to the base but he needs more than the base to win in a national election. It also may hurt contributions from wealthy donors who don't really care about social issue crusades but do care about the candidate being pro-business.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Palm Hospitality

That is who is listed on the property record.

1950 Magnolia Palm Dr 15-24-27-0000-00-004
Name(s):
Us Army Morale Welfare Recreation Fund
Physical Street Address:
1950 Magnolia Palm Dr
Property Use:
8800 - Federal (Other)
Mailing Address On File:
C/O Palm Hospitality Co 2461 Eisenhower Ave
Alexandria, VA 22331
Incorrect Mailing Address?
Postal City and Zip:
Bay Lake, FL 32830
Municipality:
Bay Lake
Property Name:
Shades Of Green Resort
Front view of the Property

Upload Photos
View 2022 Property Record Card

seascape

Will you be able to come to the RCID meeting Wednesday?
I wish I could. I am in Charlotte County and having work done on out Condo Wednesday. I know the Board would want to hear from me as I have nothing positive to say about them. I think as a DVC owner they want to rip up off. They don't care about the Disney fans and keeping the Disney bubble because if they did they would have asked the FDOT rep why is the land along the roads in WDW kept perfect while the land of FDOT roads outside are not. They also would have asked the State ride inspectors why a ride outside WDW could have been allowed to make an adjustment their ride specifications directly leading to the death of a pop Warner football player. Obviously the state does a terrible job of enforcing safety standards

MickeyCB

So, when a poll question asks a respondent about Disney's "autonomy in Florida" and "special tax status", it should surprise no one that Disney does poorly.

Disney's special tax district is special.
My comment was simply in response to the poster implying that there aren't a lot of people in Disney's corner and that isn't the case. People may not be willing or able to visit the parks, but they buy their little pieces of Disney in the form of merch, etc.

Perception, bias, etc. are all at play here in this particular poll question.
As many have proven in this thread it's not "special" as in, oh wow Disney gets away with not paying their fair share, as the governor would have some people believe.
If you ask me do I think that it's ok that my neighbor gets a "special tax status" and I don't, of course I'm going to reply hell no.

And aside from all of this, I appreciate the time you have taken researching and posting the legal information you have on this thread.

Kamikaze

All the polls say he's already lost to Trump. And if he does announce, Trump is going to spend that week absolutely tearing into him. He has zero chance at the nomination unless Trump has a coronary. DeSantis beats everyone else for the R nomination, sure, but those others aren't his competition. Plus its like winning the nomination for best attempt to color within the lines.
I believe it was a concept art sketch of the 10 foot tall statue of DeSantis being commissioned to replace the statue of Walt and Mickey at MK.
The problem is this could actually be something they would propose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom