News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney tells its lobbyists to step up fight against DeSantis and his allies in Florida

The Simpsons Fox GIF by AniDom
This news drops the same day as the Politico report that some GOP lawmakers are getting tired of DeSantis’s feud with Disney

866CE1D6-283F-477E-A810-F833AB57F643.jpeg

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
This news drops the same day as the Politico report that some GOP lawmakers are getting tired of DeSantis’s feud with Disney

View attachment 711451
I have friends that were actually hoping DeSantis would run and would vote for him over Trump that are not huge Disney fans like us, but when talking to some of them about what is going on, even they think he’s going way beyond what he should be doing. One even said (paraphrasing) making a counter statement and firing back against them is fine, but doing what he’s doing is just wrong. So yeah I can see where he’d be losing some support on his own side overreaching now

lazyboy97o

If I am reading you correctly, do you believe that Disney is not going to pursue any legal law suites? It appears that both the board and the Florida Legislature/Gov are going to do everything possible to void contracts-- whether what they do is legal or not. Stepping back, I believe a whole bunch of pages ago you stated that no construction will start without first getting permits--which the new board now controls. So why fight this in courts if the end result is you are going to still have to go thru the board? Am I reading this wrong? As a moderate republican, I am really disappointed on how Florida has totally mishandled this whole situation. And while I initially hoped that Disney could learn to work with the new board, those Covenants now have escalated this to a personal vendetta. Legal or not, in your opinion how do you see this working out?
I have absolutely no idea how Disney will respond. Unlike many others, my assessment of their actions is negative. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t fight a declaration that the agreements are void. I don’t know what it would take to convince Iger that the stated maximalist goals are not just empty bluster and that this isn’t going away.

Correct that construction cannot start without permits but as of yet the Board has not changed the rules in a way that jeopardizes that. The Board itself does not issue permits, those approvals are administrative and done by the department staff. The same is true of the majority of items sent to the planning department, they’re administratively approved and do not go before the planning commission (now the Board of Supervisors). The Board has not yet changed the land use regulations in a way that will send projects to them.

lazyboy97o

I gotta imagine though if you are leveraging something defined in another statute (the developer agreement one) that those standards apply to. This action wasn't in the normal course of the district's granted activities (covered by the RCID act), it's a concept pulled from the other law.
Except the district was allowed to enter into contracts and agreements. They were just going with a particular type. The district charter also said that the charter prevailed in the event of a conflict with future state law.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
He’s serving his second term…he can’t run for a third…I don’t know if Florida has a recall procedure, but I don’t think that would ever be up for discussion

Yes, he's term limited to 2 terms. Florida has no recall for statewide elected officials - governor, lieutenant governor, AG, Ag commissioner. Have to be impeached by the Legislature.

lewisc

Yes you can. That’s basically the whole point of an injunction, to stop something from occurring because it will cause a harm.
Posters are talking over each other.

You file for an injunction after a law, or regulation, is passed to prevent it from being enforced, pending a trial.

You don't file, based on political rhetoric, before the law is passed.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
He’s serving his second term…he can’t run for a third…I don’t know if Florida has a recall procedure, but I don’t think that would ever be up for discussion
He can run for a nonconsecutive third term, and Florida has no recall procedure: just impeachment, which given how stacked the legislature and judicial in Florida are, is a non-starter.

lewisc

It makes me wonder if the board genuinely believes they have the authority to void the contract just because they say so, or are they knowingly crossing the line in an attempt to goad Disney into litigating.
I'll speculate neither. They are saying what Ron wants them say.

RobbinsDad

I have friends that were actually hoping DeSantis would run and would vote for him over Trump that are not huge Disney fans like us, but when talking to some of them about what is going on, even they think he’s going way beyond what he should be doing. One even said (paraphrasing) making a counter statement and firing back against them is fine, but doing what he’s doing is just wrong. So yeah I can see where he’d be losing some support on his own side overreaching now
He really does need to pivot rhetorically to something else. When you can make the other major national political figure within the state look like the adult in the room, you've miscalculated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom