News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Curious question - with the announcement today of the new cabins, could this be the "trigger point" for the dispute in courts (I guess potentially something else could come before it, or is it even simpler then that?). Disney announces new project. Likely they feel it is in the developmental plan they can do this without Board's approval. Board feels they can't based on them voiding the contract...so when disney does build...let the real fun begin?

It is saying the new cabins will be the same footprint as the old so it really wouldn't run into any land use issues. It's basically the equivalent of a room refresh.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I agree with this, but this is also why I think some from of compromise or settlement will be reached. Disney may be willing to fight/sue, in order to stop a prison from being built near them, but are they going to sue to stop ride safety inspections? Or affordable housing? Or pay raises for first responders? Those headlines write themselves.
I agree even if a lot of this feels like a lot of “throwing spaghetti at a wall” proposals right now. I still think there will be additional grounds to bring a suit but optics will certainly matter once the new oversight board seemingly overturns/overrules the existing RCID land use agreement by fiat next week (as opposed to getting the agreement overturned in the courts) if that indeed occurs as anticipated, but I suppose but we’ll see.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I find the idea that FDOT needs to be notified a bit specious. By that standard they need to be notified for all sorts of decisions because they own roads and slivers of roads all over the place. It’s also not really their business to be for or against whatever is happening next to a road.
I agree. It’s a stretch. I said it was a wild idea 🤪🤪🤪🤪
I agree with this, but this is also why I think some from of compromise or settlement will be reached. Disney may be willing to fight/sue, in order to stop a prison from being built near them, but are they going to sue to stop ride safety inspections? Or affordable housing? Or pay raises for first responders? Those headlines write themselves.
The prison, yes, they would sue over that for sure. Ride safety is a grey area. In the court of public opinion they can certainly make a compelling argument that their safety inspections are actually superior to a state run one (see recent accident and tragic death). They have no standing on pay raises. That is within the district’s control and is not really disputable. Disney is already building affordable housing on 80 acres of their own land. I don’t see them losing a PR fight of the district attempts to require them to build more. How many acres of their own land has Universal dedicated to affordable housing? Other large corporations in the state? Outside of home builders it’s not all that common.

The lawsuit would likely be over something less headline grabbing. As suggested already the company plans to convert Cabins at the campground to new DVC cabins. If the board blocks that development then Disney sues.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The whole section is about exemption from county and state zoning and development statutes.

ETA: Section 18 seems to say the same thing for services. I’m not sure notice was required for anything the board did in February.
That may be the answer to the question of why notice was not mailed. It may also be why the new board didn’t present any evidence related to the failed notice. Both sides know it’s not required.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is saying the new cabins will be the same footprint as the old so it really wouldn't run into any land use issues. It's basically the equivalent of a room refresh.
I read they are adding a new pool and some trails and converting the restaurant to a food court style. No clue how extensive the work is or if the board would need to approve it. Will be interesting to see. If they plan to open the new cabins in 2024 work has to start pretty soon.

Kamikaze

Then what was the reason for the big name lawyers making that their main point? Its a fascinating situation.
Steve, I wouldn't say any of those guys are 'big name' lawyers. Their websites show that they are small firms, and one of them doesn't even have an SSL certificate - in 2023!

(With the exception of the Cooper and Kirk attorney)

Last edited:

drnilescrane

Disney tells its lobbyists to step up fight against DeSantis and his allies in Florida

Shortly after DeSantis’ remarks on Monday, Disney executives called on lobbyists to keep an eye on any Florida bills that could hurt the company and to start aggressively working against them, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter. There is a particular interest in combating legislation related to land use following DeSantis’ remarks, this person said.

This person, who was unauthorized to speak publicly on Disney’s plans, told CNBC that one of the land-related bills Disney lobbyists are watching carefully is CS/SB 1604: Land Use and Development Regulations. Ingoglia introduced the bill in the Senate, and an identical measure was put forward in the state House.

Both chambers have introduced amendments that could affect Disney. The measures would allow a “newly elected or appointed governing body of the independent special district,” such as the DeSantis-appointed governing body of the Disney district, to review any development agreements and have the option to vote on whether that district will readopt that original development deal.

Both of those amendments were filed Tuesday, the day after the DeSantis’ news conference where he hammered Disney, according to the state Legislature website.

Disney and CEO Bob Iger don’t appear to be taking DeSantis and his allies’ latest moves lightly.

The Simpsons Fox GIF by AniDom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom