News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

pdude81

AGREED! The Ron makes The Don look like a moderate!!!! THATS SCARY!!!!!!!

donald trump GIF

lazyboy97o

Then what was the reason for the big name lawyers making that their main point? Its a fascinating situation.
Because that’s what they could find as a potential issue.

As a case this is rather bizarre if you were to strip away a lot of the context. Issues of notice and public participation are usually raised by a party who feels they were not properly notified so they could voice concerns or objections. It doesn’t really make sense to go through the effort to say you didn’t get a chance to say you agree and will benefit from the ultimate outcome. Even if that person did exist, they wouldn’t want to speak out if the risk was a beneficial decision being undone.

You also don’t often see this sort of wild decomposition of a body. Even when the Anaheim City Council was considered anti-Disney, there wasn’t this level of hostility. The weren’t talking about revoking the existing approvals and seizing land for other uses. Even using the 300’ rule, Disney could probably get every neighboring property owner to show up at the next meeting and voice unanimous support for the agreement and the Board would almost certainly still vote to nullify the agreement and refuse to reconsider it.

lazyboy97o

But there has to be a subject to enjoin. A lot of proof is required for getting a preliminary injunction.
If we were talking about Orlando and Winter Park being placed under an appointed district would we really say nothing has happened? That just the act of revoking local decision making is not something that first needs improper decisions?

MR.Dis

I have absolutely no idea how Disney will respond. Unlike many others, my assessment of their actions is negative. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t fight a declaration that the agreements are void. I don’t know what it would take to convince Iger that the stated maximalist goals are not just empty bluster and that this isn’t going away.

Correct that construction cannot start without permits but as of yet the Board has not changed the rules in a way that jeopardizes that. The Board itself does not issue permits, those approvals are administrative and done by the department staff. The same is true of the majority of items sent to the planning department, they’re administratively approved and do not go before the planning commission (now the Board of Supervisors). The Board has not yet changed the land use regulations in a way that will send projects to them.
Thank you for your reply. I try to cut thru all the vitriol with a reasoned picture of what is going on.

Chi84

Premium Member
If we were talking about Orlando and Winter Park being placed under an appointed district would we really say nothing has happened? That just the act of revoking local decision making is not something that first needs improper decisions?
First you need an actual lawsuit. Then you have to prove that the actions that are being challenged by the injunction threaten the person applying for the injunction with irreparable harm, that this harm is greater than any harm caused to the other side by the injunction and that the applicant is likely to prevail on the merits. They are difficult to obtain.

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

You also don’t often see this sort of wild decomposition of a body. Even when the Anaheim City Council was considered anti-Disney, there wasn’t this level of hostility. The weren’t talking about revoking the existing approvals and seizing land for other uses. Even using the 300’ rule, Disney could probably get every neighboring property owner to show up at the next meeting and voice unanimous support for the agreement and the Board would almost certainly still vote to nullify the agreement and refuse to reconsider it.
This is truthfully what I’m struggling with too. Even if the written notice was foregone for a substitute media and online notice under the letter of the law do the new state appointed cronies on the body have standing to sue?

They are not landowners in the district. If the letter of the law is not applied here would this nullify other actions under RCID where a similar substitute notice (in lieu of written notice) was also seemingly applied in the last several decades?

JusticeDisney

Yes you can. That’s basically the whole point of an injunction, to stop something from occurring because it will cause a harm.
You are simply dead wrong. When a harm is only speculative - which any potential voiding of the agreement is at this point - injunctive relief does not lie. Period, end of story. There is zero injunctive relief available to Disney as of right now.

Schmidt

Wild.

They're going to fight this as a PR battle rather than a legal one.
I have friends that were actually hoping DeSantis would run and would vote for him over Trump that are not huge Disney fans like us, but when talking to some of them about what is going on, even they think he’s going way beyond what he should be doing. One even said (paraphrasing) making a counter statement and firing back against them is fine, but doing what he’s doing is just wrong. So yeah I can see where he’d be losing some support on his own side overreaching now
You are not a Disney fan? If so why, come here and post so much?

drnilescrane

That's what I've been saying throughout this whole thread.
Oh I agree. This is a bigger battle than black and white words on a page.

I still think the gambit is to convince everybody involved that the emperor has no clothes, and sit back and watch as everything implodes from within. The best battle is one where you don't even have to draw your sword. Then, much like in Anaheim, they quietly put everything back together again and it all never happened.

That being said, this has escalated further than I could have ever imagined so 🤷‍♂️.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom