News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

el_super

This is far from over.

Why would Disney roll over and take this they have many grievances they can take up with the courts.

Because they want this out of the news as soon as possible.

Disney does not like going to court. If the other news of this week wasn't a tip off: no matter how right you are morally, or what kind of rock-hard solid legal case you might have, you always try to settle to avoid going to court.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Disney does not like going to court. If the other news of this week wasn't a tip off: no matter how right you are morally, or what kind of rock-hard solid legal case you might have, you always try to settle to avoid going to court.
That's the playbook when you're judging the cost of going to trial is more than any award you might get.

Or if you want to avoid harsher jail time.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
And yet, they're not.

What's your theory?
They're waiting for Gov and Friends to actually do something that would be deemed illegal rather than just say it. Immediate injunction time.

Until they act illegally, Gov and Gang can claim First Amendment rights to just sound off with hyperbole. And such political speech tends to get a pass by SCOTUS.

And the longer they can string this out, the better for Gov to be gone campaigning for Prez or term-limited. Which means holding off legal suits until the bitter end and until absolutely needed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's the playbook when you're judging the cost of going to trial is more than any award you might get.

Or if you want to avoid harsher jail time.
Eventually this almost certainly ends up in court, but what we got yesterday was nothing more than a political speech. No actions have been taken yet and no actual harm is done (legal harm based on the district not honoring the contract they freely entered into). Once the district stops Disney from doing something allowed in the contract they sue. If the district follows through on threats like selling or developing land if that violates the agreement they sue. Ultimately a judge will decide if the Contract is valid or not. The board and the legislature cannot just declare the contract void (I mean they can say that but it has no legal basis).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And yet, they're not.

What's your theory?
They’re in a bit of uncharted water here…

Because it’s in chartered water…and frankly, there’s no accountability or precedent in either legislature or the courts here.

It’s like everything from the 20th century was tossed out the window in the last 5 and we’re intent on torching the furniture

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
And yet, they're not.

What's your theory?

For one, I think they were waiting to see what the Board would say and do at the meeting yesterday. If either of the bills currently making the rounds in the Legislature pass and are signed into law, thus allowing the Board of Supervisors to retroactively void the February 8th Agreement, I think you'll see them act. They will then have a law on the books they can petition the court to declare unconstitutional under Article I, Section 10.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're waiting for Gov and Friends to actually do something that would be deemed illegal rather than just say it. Immediate injunction time.

Until they act illegally, Gov and Gang can claim First Amendment rights to just sound off with hyperbole. And such political speech tends to get a pass by SCOTUS.

And the longer they can string this out, the better for Gov to be gone campaigning for Prez or term-limited. Which means holding off legal suits until the bitter end and until absolutely needed.
My take is they can’t predict the courts. Gee…wonder why?

I’d like to hear the Kid’s opinion on this?
@LAKid53

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So nothing illegal has occurred yet?
Lots.

But nothing that can be called 'harm' yet, e.g., they haven't held up a building permit until TBA is reverted back to Splash. Yet.

Disney doesn't have to cry "illegal" the moment it happens. They can bide their time. Collect evidence. Let the opposition make more unforced errors and see what their playbook is.

And I can see Disney stringing this out as long as possible. They won't pursue every avenue all at once. When the time comes, they'll object to one certain thing. And let that play out. Then, later, object to another thing. And let that play out. Disney's got a term-limit on their side.

GBAB1973

To a point, maybe.

But where DeSantis is pushing this, I'd say it's getting more and more unlikely Disney won't find it's way into a court.

Touchdown

So what happens if the board isn’t confirmed by the senate before May 2nd? The Federal govt does allow the President to make Recess Apointments, does FL law allow the Governor to? If that’s a no, who runs the board of the district fka Reedy Creek

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Wait wait wait.

I was assured that they had an ironclad First Amendment claim because these actions were INDSISPUTABLY retaliatory for their speech?
They do.

They have time to kill to assert that.

If they use that to wipe out all that Gov and Cronies have done, then Gov and Cronies will find another avenue of attack, such as attempting to pass another vengeful bill, but next time, to stop saying it's all about vengeance.

el_super

But nothing that can be called 'harm' yet, e.g., they haven't held up a building permit until TBA is reverted back to Splash. Yet.

So Disney says the development agreement is good. CFTOD says it is not. Then what happens What action does the board take that you think will end up in court? Denying a building permit? Raising taxes? Affordable housing?

What makes it more advantageous to Disney to fight the multitude of singular actions from the board, rather than fight the take over in the first place?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom