News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sir_Cliff

What’s one popular saying in politics? Perception is reality.
Exactly. What is the narrative he is trying to enforce with this? That he is a petty tyrant? That he will go after even the most important businesses in the country if they go against his political agenda?

What's the big come back to the media if this is all trolling? Is it "I'm not really going to build a prison, but I am still looking at selling the monorail"?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
He isn't running for governor of Florida anymore.
Exactly.

GOP primary voters see this as a culture war against "Big Woke" corporations.

Progressives see this as fascism but they were never going to vote for him anyways, so who cares?

Disney-obsessives might have some nuanced opinions on the merits but there aren't very many of us so we don't matter.

For everyone else, they don't care about this in the slightest.

This will be a motivating factor in the primary and a non-issue in the General. Again, we can debate the merits all day long, but as a cynical political maneuver, I think it's all upside for him.

tissandtully

Exactly.

GOP primary voters see this as a culture war against "Big Woke" corporations.

Progressives see this as fascism but they were never going to vote for him anyways, so who cares?

Disney-obsessives might have some nuanced opinions on the merits but there aren't very many of us so we don't matter.

This will be a motivating factor in the primary and a non-issue in the General. Again, we can debate the merits all day long, but as a cynical political maneuver, I think it's all upside for him.
Glad you are admitting that the GOP is for government retaliation. Cause that's all this "woke" nonsense is about. Silencing the corporations people disagree with. These companies aren't being inclusive out of the goodness of their hearts, they know they want to attract everyone to make money, it's just capitalism. It's funny when Rs are against capitalism and freedom of speech at the same time.

My in-laws are registered Rs and haven't voted for DeSantis at all in Florida and never will. My FIL is a lifelong biker Republican and he's fed up with the DeSantis bulls---

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Glad you are admitting that the GOP is for government retaliation.
Absolutely, and it's depressing. I wish it wasn't so, but that's where we are.

Cause that's all this "woke" nonsense is about.
No.

These companies aren't being inclusive out of the goodness of their hearts, they know they want to attract everyone to make money, it's just capitalism.
That is absolutely not correct. Groups within companies are implementing strategies that are directly contradictory to the firms' financial best interest because they see themselves as agents of social change, not businesspeople. See: Bud Light.

Corporations are not monolithic. People, human beings, individuals within companies are the ones making decisions and taking actions.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
not really what he said.

He was saying maybe the land could be used for other things... more theme parks, blah blah blah.. and said 'someone even said, maybe you need another state prison, who knows, I just think the possibilities are endless'

"but the district owns other land, You know quite frankly, I wasn't even thinking about that land. This was not something that was really important one way or another, we just wanted them to live under the same rules, pay the debt, pay the taxes all that stuff. But come to think of it now people are like, well there's... what should we do with this land? And so you know, like ok [sic] people have said, maybe have another, maybe create a state park, maybe, try to do more amusement parks. Someone even said
maybe you need another state prison, who knows, I just think the possibilities are endless"

Time cued -

Thank you for the source. There’s really not another way to take it other than more threats though.

Lilofan

Interesting to see that 'Disney' is the #2 trending topic on Twitter in the USA right now, and it's mainly people laughing at DeSantis for threatening to build a prison at Walt Disney World and talking about the general insanity of the whole situation.
I am going to see the late night talk show hosts and SNL this Sat night probably will ridicule DeSantis in their own unique way.

MagicHappens1971

That is absolutely not correct. Groups within companies are implementing strategies that are directly contradictory to the firms' financial best interest because they see themselves as agents of social change, not businesspeople. See: Bud Light.
I can’t speak for a brand like Bud Light, but Disneys mission statement is “to entertain, inform and inspire people around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling”. Being inclusive is just a part of their mission, also while companies main goal is to make money, companies have participated in social, and political change for eons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Cliff

This has crossed into the mainstream. SNL may be a show the skews very liberal in its humour, but the fact they can do a segment on this is because anyone paying attention knows DeSantis has some weird war with Disney World going on down in Florida. The more this is in the news, the more people will think about it when they think of DeSantis and the more he makes outlandish statements about, for example, building a prison at Disney World, the more it will make the news.

But how does this help him against his main rival? Being known for waging war against Disney World after they disagreed with you is a point against him being a more temperate version of his main rival. It kind of makes him look more petty and amateur.

tissandtully

I can’t speak for a brand like Bud Light, but Disneys mission statement is “to entertain, inform and inspire people around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling”. Being inclusive is just a part of their mission, also while companies main goal is to make money, companies have participated in social, and political change for eons.
I know, I patronize a lot of businesses I don't agree with politically (Hello Buc-ee's/CFA sometimes) but I'm not boycotting anyone. Honestly it's kind of impossible in capitalism.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But how does this help him against his main rival? Being known for waging war against Disney World after they disagreed with you is a point against him being a more temperate version of his main rival. It kind of makes him look more petty and amateur.
It's a wink-and-a-nod situation.

The Bud Light constituency doesn't want him to be a "more temperate version" of his rival, they want him to be as combative as possible. Pettiness and amateurism are credentials to those voters. If they wanted temperate, we'd be in the second term of the Rubio administration.

Meanwhile, behind closed doors, he'll intimate to the donor class that he doesn't actually believe any of this, that he's capable of pivoting to the center and being an "electable" candidate in the general election, and that all of this culture war crap is a ruse to rile up the red hat crowd.

Heppenheimer

The one thing AB was never inclusive for was good beer...

MagicHappens1971

I know, I patronize a lot of businesses I don't agree with politically (Hello Buc-ee's/CFA sometimes) but I'm not boycotting anyone. Honestly it's kind of impossible in capitalism.
I also wish I had said this in my post I just made but don’t want to edit it.

Comparing a brand like Disney to Bud Light is apples to oranges.

Disney has been the hallmark of family-friendly entertainment for nearly 100 years. God forbid they create a story around someone like Tiana who was the first African-American princess, it took a very long time for that to happen. While films like Strange World weren’t successful, it wasn’t due to “inclusion”, it was due to a poor story & lack of marketing. If I wasn’t a Disney fan, I’d have no idea Strange World even existed. Lightyear’s lack of success wasn’t due to the half a millisecond kiss between two women, it was because it wasn’t what people were looking for. Although I liked Lightyear more than most.

Inclusion is not killing Disney, or any other brand for that matter.

lentesta

Premium Member
Thank you. I’ve found this act now. That section doesn’t seem to apply to development agreements nor does it override other statutes requiring disclosure, and was signed into law after the RCID Developer Agreement was noticed and entered into
The original RCID act has similar language.

ETA: If I’m reading this right, this statute for developer agreements has a 30-day window for disputes. That window has passed, yes?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I also wish I had said this in my post I just made but don’t want to edit it.

Comparing a brand like Disney to Bud Light is apples to oranges.

Disney has been the hallmark of family-friendly entertainment for nearly 100 years. God forbid they create a story around someone like Tiana who was the first African-American princess, it took a very long time for that to happen. While films like Strange World weren’t successful, it wasn’t due to “inclusion”, it was due to a poor story & lack of marketing. If I wasn’t a Disney fan, I’d have no idea Strange World even existed. Lightyear’s lack of success wasn’t due to the half a millisecond kiss between two women, it was because it wasn’t what people were looking for. Although I liked Lightyear more than most.

Inclusion is not killing Disney, or any other brand for that matter.
You're conflating issues. Race has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with gender identity. And Disney's content has nothing to do with the Parental Rights in Education Act.

I have never heard one single person complain about Princess and the Frog. A beautiful movie about hard work and family that's full of romance, humor, adventure, and overcoming the forces of evil is exactly how Disney should be focusing their time and energy. None of that has jack all to do with discussions of gender identity in elementary school classrooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom