News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I live in Miami and visit Disney World multiple times a year and I had never even heard of Reedy Creek until last year.
And most people outside of Miami have never heard of the town of Medley, that has more businesses than residents. Yet there you go.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If RCID didn't give Disney an advantage, why would Disney care about losing it?
Without RCID Disney would have had a more difficult time building WDW and may have selected a different site. It’s an “advantage” for Disney because of the size of the property they have. That doesn’t mean it’s an unfair advantage over competition. Why would Universal, Sea World or any other competition want anything with a similar size and scope as RCID? They would not. So it’s not really some competitive advantage as is being portrayed.

mkt

Premium Member

mkt

Premium Member
I have Citizens because I'm on the gulf coast in St. Pete and they are doing mandatory inspections of every policy to try to find reasons to remove previous discounts and to drop coverage.

Sounds about right.

Florida's weird.

I can afford to buy a house here. I just can't afford to buy a house and insure it. It's cheaper to rent.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Oh for the love of Pete he didn't threaten to build a prison.
Maybe not 'threaten', but he did mention it in his comments.

"DeSantis also again spoke about imposing higher taxes on Walt Disney World, recovering Reedy Creek debt from Disney more quickly, and even developing a state prison or other amusement park on Reedy Creek land."

Magic Kingdom - Straight ahead
EPCOT/Hollywood Studios - Next right
Disney's Animal Kingdom - Next left
Reedy Creek Correctional Facility - Second right

flynnibus

Premium Member
If RCID didn't give Disney an advantage, why would Disney care about losing it?
Didn't this say unfair advantage when you posted it?

Of course when you drop the UNFAIR portion the meaning completely changes... and your post becomes redundant. Of course someone wants to keep something that provides an advantage - but it is not one without cost to Disney, nor was it 'unfair'

peter11435

The two are unrelated.

I'm pleased to see a repeal of corporate welfare. I'm not bothered that the reason for the repeal of the corporate welfare is a petty political squabble.
What corporate welfare? Do you still at this stage in the discussion not understand how the district operated?

You don’t care that the reason this is all happening is violation of the constitution?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I guess you missed the press conference where he said they might consider building a state prison on the district’s land. His words not mine.
I'm not sure if you watched it live, or read the reporting on it after the fact. I watched the whole thing live, and it was extremely clear that he was joking.

You would think we'd be familiar with this pattern by now.
  1. Say something that's mildly controversial and probably inappropriate while maintaining plausible deniability.
  2. Watch the media completely overreact.
  3. Fundraise and campaign on #2 to great success because #2 is so disproportionate that it pushes #1 out of the news cycle.
It was bait. A troll. It wasn't a bona fide policy proposal. You can still say "baiting and trolling are bad" without resorting to the hyperbole that he literally wants to build a prison at Walt Disney World.

tissandtully

I'm not sure if you watched it live, or read the reporting on it after the fact. I watched the whole thing live, and it was extremely clear that he was joking.

1. Say something that's mildly controversial and probably inappropriate while maintaining plausible deniability.
  3. Fundraise and campaign on #2 to great success because #2 is so disproportionate that it pushes #1 out of the news cycle.
It was bait. A troll. It wasn't a bona fide policy proposal. You can still say "baiting and trolling are bad" without resorting to the hyperbole that he literally wants to build a prison at Walt Disney World.
Always the defense when a politician floats something ridiculous. Oh they were joking! Fast forward to them actually doing it.

Dranth

I think many would agree with you if Ron hadn't shown that he was willing to follow through with these types of things multiple times (not just within the RCID saga).

GoofGoof

Premium Member

i watched the first half. Tuned out when he started talking about human trafficking. Honestly, the whole thing was pretty unbelievable. You rarely see a politician so triggered and unhinged in public like that. He came across as a toddler throwing a tantrum. It’s hard to say what if any of the stuff he said was actually serious since it was so over the top and factually inaccurate.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What corporate welfare? Do you still at this stage in the discussion not understand how the district operated?
Benefits don't have to take the form of cash to be "welfare." Eliminating red tape for one entity over another is still corporate welfare.

You don’t care that the reason this is all happening is violation of the constitution?
Could be, that's yet to be litigated. If they can establish that this legislation was retaliatory in nature, it very well might be struck down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom