News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sir_Cliff

I'm not sure if you watched it live, or read the reporting on it after the fact. I watched the whole thing live, and it was extremely clear that he was joking.

You would think we'd be familiar with this pattern by now.
  1. Say something that's mildly controversial and probably inappropriate while maintaining plausible deniability.
  2. Watch the media completely overreact.
  3. Fundraise and campaign on #2 to great success because #2 is so disproportionate that it pushes #1 out of the news cycle.
It was bait. A troll. It wasn't a bona fide policy proposal. You can still say "baiting and trolling are bad" without resorting to the hyperbole that he literally wants to build a prison at Walt Disney World.
But isn't it an own goal if it just makes him look stupid?

People were laughing at him for being outsmarted by Disney, so he floats the idea of building a prison at Disney World so people laugh at him some more?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But isn't it an own goal if it just makes him look stupid?

People were laughing at him for being outsmarted by Disney, so he floats the idea of building a prison at Disney World so people laugh at him some more?
Twitter isn't real life. He just won reelection with 60% of the vote in what used to be a swing state.

MrPromey

Interesting to see that 'Disney' is the #2 trending topic on Twitter in the USA right now, and it's mainly people laughing at DeSantis for threatening to build a prison at Walt Disney World and talking about the general insanity of the whole situation.
Lets hope this keeps up.

I just saw the first ad hinting at a presidential bid.

The country needs to know exactly what a national future with our governor could look like.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Benefits don't have to take the form of cash to be "welfare." Eliminating red tape for one entity over another is still corporate welfare.
Disney is literally paying more in local taxes than any competitor. There’s no way to say it’s welfare. You picked the wrong term. It’s fine. Don’t keep doubling down and dragging out a losing argument.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I'm not sure if you watched it live, or read the reporting on it after the fact. I watched the whole thing live, and it was extremely clear that he was joking.

You would think we'd be familiar with this pattern by now.
  1. Say something that's mildly controversial and probably inappropriate while maintaining plausible deniability.
  2. Watch the media completely overreact.
  3. Fundraise and campaign on #2 to great success because #2 is so disproportionate that it pushes #1 out of the news cycle.
It was bait. A troll. It wasn't a bona fide policy proposal. You can still say "baiting and trolling are bad" without resorting to the hyperbole that he literally wants to build a prison at Walt Disney World.
What’s one popular saying in politics? Perception is reality.

Trying to have his cake and eat it to by making a statement that penetrates the public’s psyche, and then also allow the excuse it’s ‘trolling’. This is double down after double down after double down. He’s trying to threaten just how miserable he thinks he can make WDW’s life :( if he don’t get his way. Build another theme park… build low cost housing… build a state prison… all inside the Disney bubble, which it is well understood one of the reasons it is a top international destination.

The problem is he is not trying to fix anything about WDW operations. Just trying to disrupt it by throwing knives at it. Will he double down again later with jokes like ‘We’re going to build a state prison so the inmates can run the new TCFOD nuclear reactor’?

MagicHappens1971

“corporate welfare” give me a break. Orlando wouldn’t exist as it is today without RCID and TWDC. It would be a swamp. In 1966, Walt Disney wanted to build “a whole new Disney world” in a swamp with no municipal resources, no power lines, no sewage, etc. The state was happy to create a mutually beneficial agreement that allowed Disney to pay for & create municipal services to service their huge mass of land. This agreement existed for 50 years until a hostile Governor decided to wage a Culture war against Disney.

SplashJacket

Twitter isn't real life. He just won reelection with 60% of the vote in what used to be a swing state.
When news organizations like this exist:
1681762904171.png

That explains that winning. It's terrifying the scale of reality disconnect in such a vast portion of the U.S.

Go there right now, and the compare it to RT, and honestly RT's propaganda seems mild by comparison. Bewildering.

Disstevefan1

This isn't what's happening in Florida.

Insurers are leaving the state altogether and dropping EVERY insured in the state. Citizens, the state run insurer of LAST RESORT is now the only option for a shockingly large number of residents.
Insurance companies only want to take premiums and not pay out any money. Yes, they leave states. Major auto insurers are pulling back in the California marketplace because they are saying our drivers are just too expensive to insure.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess you missed the press conference where he said they might consider building a state prison on the district’s land. His words not mine.
not really what he said.

He was saying maybe the land could be used for other things... more theme parks, blah blah blah.. and said 'someone even said, maybe you need another state prison, who knows, I just think the possibilities are endless'

"but the district owns other land, You know quite frankly, I wasn't even thinking about that land. This was not something that was really important one way or another, we just wanted them to live under the same rules, pay the debt, pay the taxes all that stuff. But come to think of it now people are like, well there's... what should we do with this land? And so you know, like ok [sic] people have said, maybe have another, maybe create a state park, maybe, try to do more amusement parks. Someone even said
maybe you need another state prison, who knows, I just think the possibilities are endless"

Time cued -

peter11435

Benefits don't have to take the form of cash to be "welfare." Eliminating red tape for one entity over another is still corporate welfare.

Could be, that's yet to be litigated. If they can establish that this legislation was retaliatory in nature, it very well might be struck down.
Replacing one brand of red tape with another brand of red tape doesn’t mean you’ve eliminated red tape.

Could be? This entire thing is unquestionably retaliatory in nature. The governor has admitted that, the legislature has admitted that, they have boasted and been proud of that fact. They haven’t even attempted to claim any other reasoning for their actions.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Insurance companies only want to take premiums and not pay out any money. Yes, they leave states. Major auto insurers are pulling back in the California marketplace because they are saying our drivers are just too expensive to insure.

This isn't only one or two. The ones that left represent a majority of the insurance market.

This is a crisis.

MagicHappens1971

This isn't only one or two. The ones that left represent a majority of the insurance market.

This is a crisis.
If I remember correctly the FL legislature actually called a special session of congress to discuss and work on the housing crisis last year and then instead used it to dismantle RCID, before they realized that was a bad idea and then reinstated it with new rules

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom