News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

MagicHappens1971

I know Disney keeps track of everything, and many pages back someone mentioned people not attending due to politics. Are they tracking who isn't going to Disney World because it's in Florida, as opposed to not going because eof Disney's politics?
I could be wrong, but I think this is one of DeSantis' talking points. I don't think there's any validity behind it. Imagine being a parent and saying "No honey, we can't go to Disney World anymore, they're too WOKE".

kong1802

This is where I think he is politically stupid.

He's not going to build a prison, but it's very likely that DeSantis threatening to build a state prison on the grounds of WDW is going to make the news which will make him sound unhinged to anyone not on the fringes. If his appeal is supposed to be as a less unhinged and more competent version of a certain ex-president, this weird obsession with ruining Disney World because the company disagreed with him runs directly counter to that. Imagine that he, instead, just outlined some restrained argument about taxes and guest safety that may have been dishonest but was at least something more moderate Republicans wouldn't have to feel stupid trying to defend.

We've passed that time where people feel any shame in defending such.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Another potential aspect of the idea to allow workforce housing in the RCID: Would that potentially alter voting power within the cities of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista or not?
I assume it would but he aren’t they dissolving the cities anyway?

Isn’t the land owned by RCID either already used for utility or road services or preserved wetlands? I thought Disney still owned most of the usable land. This nonsense about building housing projects and prisons seems like the ramblings of a defeated man. If anyone wasn’t sure before whether Disney soundly outsmarted this guy today‘s temper tantrum is proof positive.

Disstevefan1

This happened to my parents. Got dropped after a roof claim, and then the new company they had pulled out of FL. It's a scary time.
This is nothing new. Insurance companies commonly drop folks for making claims.
They pay the claim then drop the person. It has happened forever.
It has nothing to do with the state, it's the way insurance companies do business.

MagicHappens1971

I assume it would but he aren’t they dissolving the cities anyway?

Isn’t the land owned by RCID either already used for utility or road services or preserved wetlands? I thought Disney still owned most of the usable land. This nonsense about building housing projects and prisons seems like the ramblings of a defeated man. If anyone wasn’t sure before whether Disney soundly outsmarted this guy today‘s temper tantrum is proof positive.
Disney does still own the majority of usable land. I don't even think RCID has enough land to build a state prison if they wanted to. Also unless they successfully void the agreements Disney had between RCID, they can't build a prison without their permission. It would also be a private prison, no?

MagicHappens1971

This is nothing new. Insurance companies commonly drop folks for making claims.
They pay the claim then drop the person. It has happened forever.
It has nothing to do with the state, it's the way insurance companies do business.
Do you live in FL? Insurance companies are pulling out of FL left and right and leaving thousands of people uninsured.
- https://www.forbes.com/advisor/home...eowners-insurance-in-florida-such-a-disaster/
- https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/homeowners-insurance/florida-homeowners-insurance-crisis/

danlb_2000

Premium Member

He's not going to build a prison, but it's very likely that DeSantis threatening to build a state prison on the grounds of WDW is going to make the news which will make him sound unhinged to anyone not on the fringes. If his appeal is supposed to be as a less unhinged and more competent version of a certain ex-president, this weird obsession with ruining Disney World (one of the motors of his state's economy) because the company disagreed with him runs directly counter to that. Imagine that he, instead, just outlined some restrained argument about taxes and guest safety that may have been dishonest but was at least something more moderate Republicans wouldn't have to feel stupid trying to defend.

He'll get an Inside the Magic headline out of it. "New prison to be built next to Magic Kingdom"

flynnibus

Premium Member
so listening to the press conference... it sounds like the proposed change for amusements is not inspections - but response to incidents. Which is just a carve out the large amusement parks had all along in FL.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm trying to figure out when the legislature will have the time. The session ends soon, and they still have a budget to pass.and change the law to allow DeSantis to stay in office when he runs for POTUS.
…they’re completely off the rails…doesn’t make sense to try to put timelines/normalcy on anything as the train slides by upside down 🙃

mmascari

If they were renters, I don't think so. Flamingo Crossings (DCP housing) sits on RCID land, but is considered Winter Garden.
Does it?

1681756895718.png

Is all the DCP housing south of Western Way? In that land that is outside the red line? Is there housing on the north side or just hotels and retail? Notice the road, part of Hartzog Road is within the district, but the boundary seems to exclude where the actual housing is located.

MagicHappens1971

Does it?

View attachment 710896

Is all the DCP housing south of Western Way? In that land that is outside the red line? Is there housing on the north side or just hotels and retail? Notice the road, part of Hartzog Road is within the district, but the boundary seems to exclude where the actual housing is located.
I included a map from RCIDs website. It sits in the boundary, but is unincorporated RCID

Vegas Disney Fan

I know Disney keeps track of everything, and many pages back someone mentioned people not attending due to politics. Are they tracking who isn't going to Disney World because it's in Florida, as opposed to not going because eof Disney's politics?

My guess is the number not going because of politics is very low. Probably a few on the extremes who feel they went too far/not far enough but that’s it. Probably true of the states also, probably a few extremes who won’t go to FL (or CA) because of the states politics but I suspect it’s a very small number.

He's not going to build a prison, but it's very likely that DeSantis threatening to build a state prison on the grounds of WDW is going to make the news which will make him sound unhinged to anyone not on the fringes. If his appeal is supposed to be as a less unhinged and more competent version of a certain ex-president, this weird obsession with ruining Disney World (one of the motors of his state's economy) because the company disagreed with him runs directly counter to that. Imagine that he, instead, just outlined some restrained argument about taxes and guest safety that may have been dishonest but was at least something more moderate Republicans wouldn't have to feel stupid trying to defend.

I was initially very excited about a DeSantis run thinking he’d give us a more traditional Rep option than DT, sadly that excitement is gone. Two sides of the same (horrible) coin.

Stripes

Premium Member
Has anyone seen any news reports with an updated comment from Disney? Honestly, the only legitimate concern I have is the potential lack of notice given to affected property owners. If that is true, that development agreement may not be worth the paper it’s printed on.

IMO, nothing else comes close to level of damage that mistake would do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom