News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All I've got to say is: Disney better learn how to play nice with the GOP in Florida.

And yes, the Florida GOP needs to learn how to play nice with Disney, too.

You mean like they did for the last 50+ years? Disney has been an exceptional corporate partner for the state. They are still in the process of moving thousands of higher paying jobs to Central FL in addition to their theme parks and cruise ships already based there. If by “playing nice” the state expects them to stay silent on political issues or change their diversity and inclusion practices or alter the content of their entertainment I don’t think that’s going to happen. Disney seems more than happy to continue things mostly business as usual despite being attacked for speaking out. I think that’s their version of “playing nice”.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
All I've got to say is: Disney better learn how to play nice with the GOP in Florida.

And yes, the Florida GOP needs to learn how to play nice with Disney, too.

Disney and the GOP have played nice for decades. Florida hasn’t elected a Democratic Governor since long before I moved to Florida. Every Governor I’ve known as a Florida resident until Ronny- Jeb Bush, Charlie Crist (pre-switch), and Rick Scott- have been Republicans and gotten along fine with Disney. Heck, even Ronny in his first term had a very productive and positive relationship with Disney (working with him to quickly and safely reopen the parks during COVID). It’s really just that he became petty and vindictive because he didn’t get his way and now he’s having a temper tantrum.

Last edited:

mmascari

I'm not sure what math they used to get to that 718,187 number, none of the values from the source link lead to that outcome.

The 2023 numbers look like 36.66% - R, 33.52% - D, 1.85% - Other, and 27.97% - None. With that math, none of them are clearly in charge and whichever way the "None" break is going to control any outcomes.

Unless they're all unemployed because Disney closes up shop and takes its ball home. 🤷‍♂️

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure what math they used to get to that 718,187 number, none of the values from the source link lead to that outcome.

The 2023 numbers look like 36.66% - R, 33.52% - D, 1.85% - Other, and 27.97% - None. With that math, none of them are clearly in charge and whichever way the "None" break is going to control any outcomes.

Unless they're all unemployed because Disney closes up shop and takes its ball home. 🤷‍♂️
With gerrymandered districts who needs a clear majority of the votes…..to hell with the will of the people ;););)

Stripes

Premium Member
8.3 Remove from office and terminate all Planning and Zoning Board members and
appoint the Board of Supervisors to serve as the local planning agency of the Central

Florida Tourism Oversight District.

They don’t beat around the bush do they ;););)
Can they do that before the mandatory second public hearing on resolution 639 on April 29th?

That resolution is the one that strips control of the planning board and the requirement to have at least one person on the planning board that knows what they’re doing.

MagicHappens1971

How does gerrymandering affect the statewide voter registration numbers by party?
Not everyone votes. Voter registration isn’t really super relevant. Even if it was, the numbers aren’t so far apart.
DeSantis also got re-elected and may have swung some people towards the Republicans because of his covid respond. He has gone off the walls since then.
D9C9676B-A65D-4357-B49A-4E307E20FACD.jpeg

mikejs78

Premium Member
. Can they do that before the mandatory second public hearing on resolution 639 on April 29th?

That resolution is the one that strips control of the planning board and the requirement to have at least one person on the planning board that knows what they’re doing.

The current amendment procedures require hearings and discussion by the planning board. How does the new board justify circumventing them?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So they’re firing the planning board but then hiring an urban planning company?

I hate all of this
Maybe this sounds cynical, but anything the board pays money for is ultimately paid for by Disney so if they want to hurt the company why not hire a bunch of useless consultants who I’m sure will be “friends of the program“. No clue why you would need an urban planning company for a district with less than 100 residents. Nothing urban about it and no need for much planning ;)

lazyboy97o

Maybe this sounds cynical, but anything the board pays money for is ultimately paid for by Disney so if they want to hurt the company why not hire a bunch of useless consultants who I’m sure will be “friends of the program“. No clue why you would need an urban planning company for a district with less than 100 residents. Nothing urban about it and no need for much planning ;)
One of the things the reconstitution law required was for the board to review if the District was following state law. It was a minor inclusion that wastes resources but reinforces one of DeSantis’ lies. They are now going through the process of checking that something DeSantis’ own government already determined to be in compliance with state law is in compliance with state law, likely by hiring more donors. They’re even specifically required to review whether the Florida Fire Prevention Code complies with the Florida Fire Prevention Code. This is the sort of corrupt nonsense that isn’t getting reported in even the best reporting on the issue.

There’s really nothing called suburban planning or rural planning. Urban planners are who you are going to hire to work on land use analysis and regulations.

maxairmike

And then turn around and hire someone else to help them figure it out.

So they’re firing the planning board but then hiring an urban planning company?

I hate all of this

Unless I missed something in my skim of the material (very likely), they’re not contracting out that job, just vesting all the authority of that board in themselves. I don’t believe the amendment to these sections allows them to contract that board’s function out, at least yet. If they retain the services of a planning consulting firm it would likely be for review of the existing documents and situations (stupidly) as required by the legislation, not for actually engaging on actual future development.

lazyboy97o

Unless I missed something in my skim of the material (very likely), they’re not contracting out that job, just vesting all the authority of that board in themselves. I don’t believe the amendment to these sections allows them to contract that board’s function out, at least yet. If they retain the services of a planning consulting firm it would likely be for review of the existing documents and situations (stupidly) as required by the legislation, not for actually engaging on actual future development.
The people involved in developing the comprehensive plan would be able to explain how it complied with state law. The Department of Economic Opportunity would also be able to answer this question. They only thing they’ve done is started to hire a bunch of donors. It’s a grift.

Kamikaze

Florida has made exemptions multiple times for politicians to run for higher office while still serving. It’s nothing new.
I can't find a single case of this happening in the past.

There is an exception for those running for US Congress (not the Senate), but as far as I can find, what you posted is untrue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom