News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

Iger shared his thoughts on the situation in an interview with Time

I cannot let this interview finish without asking you about the situation in Florida. Did you checkmate Ron DeSantis?

Disney World opened just over 50 years ago. It was the vision and the dream of Walt Disney, probably the most ambitious thing he ever did—turning swampland in Central Florida into a business that employs over 75,000 people, that is visited by tens of millions of people every year, that is a major tourist destination in the United States, and for the state of Florida, that creates huge value for our company and its employees, and for the state of Florida itself. Our sole goal in Florida is to continue creating that value for all those constituencies. All we want is a relationship with the state that enables us to continue to do that. We have the wherewithal and we have the desire to continue to invest there to grow that business so that we can hire more people so that we can increase our attendance, and so that we can basically increase more value for the Walt Disney Company and for the state of Florida. It’s that simple.

Usually, you’re very much a let’s-sit-down-and-get-past-our differences guy, and much less a let’s-go-to-the-mattresses guy. Is there no trying to meet with the governor?

I do not view this as a going-to-mattresses situation for us. If the governor of Florida wants to meet with me to discuss all of this, of course, I would be glad to do that. You know, I’m one that typically has respected our elected officials and the responsibility that they have, and there would be no reason why I wouldn’t do that.

Read the full interview here: https://time.com/6269006/bob-iger-interview-time100/
Ol Bobby just needs to try to get a Chef Mickeys dining reservation at 6am 60 days in advance for both of them to hash this out and take a photo with Mickey together next to the ice cream bar

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I cannot let this interview finish without asking you about the situation in Florida. Did you checkmate Ron DeSantis?

Disney World opened just over 50 years ago. It was the vision and the dream of Walt Disney, probably the most ambitious thing he ever did—turning swampland in Central Florida into a business that employs over 75,000 people, that is visited by tens of millions of people every year, that is a major tourist destination in the United States, and for the state of Florida, that creates huge value for our company and its employees, and for the state of Florida itself. Our sole goal in Florida is to continue creating that value for all those constituencies. All we want is a relationship with the state that enables us to continue to do that. We have the wherewithal and we have the desire to continue to invest there to grow that business so that we can hire more people so that we can increase our attendance, and so that we can basically increase more value for the Walt Disney Company and for the state of Florida. It’s that simple.

Usually, you’re very much a let’s-sit-down-and-get-past-our differences guy, and much less a let’s-go-to-the-mattresses guy. Is there no trying to meet with the governor?

I do not view this as a going-to-mattresses situation for us. If the governor of Florida wants to meet with me to discuss all of this, of course, I would be glad to do that. You know, I’m one that typically has respected our elected officials and the responsibility that they have, and there would be no reason why I wouldn’t do that.

Read the full interview here: https://time.com/6269006/bob-iger-interview-time100/
Calm, cool and in control. Contrast his answers with the tantrum the other guy had….rambling on about winning every time.

GrumpyFan

Calm, cool and in control. Contrast his answers with the tantrum the other guy had….rambling on about winning every time.
I thought so as well. As always, he's very careful and deliberate in his response and comes across as the mature and reasonable adult in the situation. The only problem with that is Iger is the temporary figurehead for Disney right now. The same could be said for the state. Any agreements made between the two would be subject to the future leadership of both. I would like to hope that Iger in his cool reasoned responses will help win the public perception of the situation and pressure the governor to settle their differences quietly. Somehow, though, I doubt that will happen. The other party in this battle has already dug in and made this a public fight for political gain and has a lot to lose by settling the matter.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I thought so as well. As always, he's very careful and deliberate in his response and comes across as the mature and reasonable adult in the situation.
Had he still been in charge when this all began, rather than Chapek, I have no doubt he could have made a statement against the bill without drawing the ire of DeSantis and company. The short reign of Chapek will haunt the company for years.

AEfx

Yet somehow there are more restaurants and hotels in orlando than anywhere else equivalent in the state… and businesses still choose to base there.

If its so bad… they’d be dead already

And where are they?

They aren't in Kissimmiee. They are over by Universal because that's where the business comes from now. Their customers spend money locally.

People who go to Disney spend all their money at...Disney.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Had he still been in charge when this all began, rather than Chapek, I have no doubt he could have made a statement against the bill without drawing the ire of DeSantis and company. The short reign of Chapek will haunt the company for years.
Agreed. Which is one of the reasons I have always said this could have been prevented. Chapek stepped in it in just a stupid way. Iger we all love to hate at times is much more controlled with smart wording and handling of things

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

Whatever your thoughts about Iger, he certainly handles the media a whole lot better than Chapek. Iger comes off, as someone else said, as calm and in control, while Ron has a temper tantrum in the other room.

This all could have been avoided if Iger had never left.

tissandtully

Ashley Moody (current attorney general) would be the favorite to be the next governor. I would say she's more a Rick Scott type, certainly far less antagonistic than Ron. The lieutenant governor, Jeannette Nunez, is a lightweight who just smiles and talks about leaving Cuba. This is not to say that someone out of the blue couldn't win, especially if T offers another endorsement. Adam Putnam was the favorite to be governor until T elevated Ron. Could certainly happen again.
we need young blood like Anna Eskamani, someone to ignite the younger base. Even Maxwell Frost.

Disstevefan1

Iger's 2023 TIME100 cover shoot.

I cannot let this interview finish without asking you about the situation in Florida. Did you checkmate Ron DeSantis? Disney World opened just over 50 years ago. It was the vision and the dream of Walt Disney, probably the most ambitious thing he ever did—turning swampland in Central Florida into a business that employs over 75,000 people, that is visited by tens of millions of people every year, that is a major tourist destination in the United States, and for the state of Florida, that creates huge value for our company and its employees, and for the state of Florida itself. Our sole goal in Florida is to continue creating that value for all those constituencies. All we want is a relationship with the state that enables us to continue to do that. We have the wherewithal and we have the desire to continue to invest there to grow that business so that we can hire more people so that we can increase our attendance, and so that we can basically increase more value for the Walt Disney Company and for the state of Florida. It’s that simple.

Usually, you’re very much a let’s-sit-down-and-get-past-our differences guy, and much less a let’s-go-to-the-mattresses guy. Is there no trying to meet with the governor? I do not view this as a going-to-mattresses situation for us. If the governor of Florida wants to meet with me to discuss all of this, of course, I would be glad to do that. You know, I’m one that typically has respected our elected officials and the responsibility that they have, and there would be no reason why I wouldn’t do that.

We know they will never sit down and talk but we can dream..

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
We know they will never sit down and talk but we can dream..
1681416781744.png

flyakite

Another meeting announcement in Orlando Sentinel

YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on April 26 th at 9:30 a.m., or as soon thereafter as practicable, the Board of Supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet in regular session at The Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort 1850 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Florida in the Horizons Ballroom. At that time, they will consider such business as may properly come before them.
BY: Tina Graham, Clerk
Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Vegas Disney Fan

How is it legal for a board to vote to give themselves “superior authority” over other entities?

They are removing things like planning commissions to give themselves more power, trying to remove towns to give themselves more power, where is the line drawn? Could they vote to remove the county for more power? or the state?

Obviously the answer must be no but legally how far can they go in their pursuit of power.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How is it legal for a board to vote to give themselves “superior authority” over other entities?

You're reading too much into the labeling in this resolution I think. What you have here is the Board basically removing one of their subordinate committees/functions and replacing it with themselves. "superior authority" is just the fluffy wording they were using to make clear they want the board to be the one with the say, no one else.

The portion about the towns is to try to codify a "land grab" situation to avoid arguments of ambiguity of who has the say here in terms of the cities being used as a vector to end-around them.

I think this is all within their purvue, it's more that it's an obvious dictator kind of move where you consolidate power rather than setup smart people to do the work. Here they are trying to make sure they hold the controls and no one else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom