News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Ayla

There is also the time factor here. DeSantis won't be governor for much longer. I recall one of the Orlando Sentinel reporters claiming at the time there wasn't much interest in taking on Disney at the legislature level until DeSantis started whipping up votes.

This thing could be in the court system for years and by that time, DeSantis will be doing something else and the legislature may just be tired of this.
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. As soon as the media was occupied with other events last night, he quietly filed a bill to repeal the resign-to-run law Florida currently has, so he can remain Gov while running and when he comes home with his tail between his legs.

Disney Glimpses

So far, every legal opinion from a truly objective person I have seen has mostly suggested that the covenant stuff will get thrown out but that the DA is rock solid. How can a district sue a developer for an agreement that it voluntarily entered into with said developer?

afterabme

Rhonda says she'll take a "third swipe" at Disney. Anyone know what she's going to try next?
There are other things they can do, just depends on who does it.
Legislature can dissolve cities of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, go back and actually dissolve the district entirely, state could audit, or file suit. Plus other things that haven't been mentioned, no shortage of things that the new District, Government officials, or Disney can't do.

If we taking bets, legal action is most likely if both sides don't reach some sort of compromise agreement, which could still happen, but looks increasingly less likely.

Disney Glimpses

I seriously hate the way this is being characterized in the media: "loophole" or "snuck in" or "quietly."

Where was that State's legal team? How do you pass legislation to take over a district and then let them run completely unchecked for weeks? How was someone not present at that meeting to ask questions? How were these filings sitting there to collect dust for weeks before Ron DeSantis signed the legislation? They completely dropped the ball and should be embarrassed.

Imagine going into contract on a house to find out a month later when you close that the house actually burnt down the day after you went into contract? And your lawyer and realtor had no idea.

lazyboy97o

So far, every legal opinion from a truly objective person I have seen has mostly suggested that the covenant stuff will get thrown out but that the DA is rock solid. How can a district sue a developer for an agreement that it voluntarily entered into with said developer?
Why are they taking issue with the covenants?

Ayla

I seriously hate the way this is being characterized in the media: "loophole" or "snuck in" or "quietly."

Where was that State's legal team? How do you pass legislation to take over a district and then let them run completely unchecked for weeks? How was someone not present at that meeting to ask questions? How were these filings sitting there to collect dust for weeks before Ron DeSantis signed the legislation? They completely dropped the ball and should be embarrassed.

Imagine going into contract on a house to find out a month later when you close that the house actually burnt down the day after you went into contract? And your lawyer and realtor had no idea.
We close on a house in a couple weeks. You better believe we drive by it every so often, just to make sure it's still standing. 😂

donsullivan

Premium Member
Sure, they could go back and dissolve the district, but the county is on the hook for the bond payments. I am sure Disney would be thankful for the billion+ bailout from the state. I don't think voters would be thrilled when they get their tax bills.
The complication of that is that according the local tax collectors, Florida statute prevents them from raising taxes enough to pay for those bonds, which means services have to be reduced to offset the additional bond payment expense the counties would have to absorb.

Disney Glimpses

The complication of that is that according the local tax collectors, Florida statute prevents them from raising taxes enough to pay for those bonds, which means services have to be reduced to offset the additional bond payment expense the counties would have to absorb.

Yeah, there's just no way that's an option. Having this end with Disney essentially getting a $1 billion tax break would be a massive loss. I see a lot of DeSantis pundits saying that he will now "dissolve Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista." What would this even accomplish in this scenario?

ToTBellHop

Just a quick reminder that Gov. DeSantis went to Yale and then Harvard Law School.

Just in case you have kids who wish to become attorneys and are deciding where to go.

Did you know Yale Law School is graded pass/fail? I wonder if Harvard Law is the same...Yale undergrad ostensibly grades students but I was a TA while in grad school at Yale.

All of the undergrads pass.

Big_Shakalaka

Yeah, there's just no way that's an option. Having this end with Disney essentially getting a $1 billion tax break would be a massive loss. I see a lot of DeSantis pundits saying that he will now "dissolve Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista." What would this even accomplish in this scenario?
I was actually just wondering yesterday, what are the benefits to Disney of having the cities of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista vs essentially just being an unincorporated area?

lazyboy97o

It’s even worse because they completely ignore that this occurred while the state was trying to be sneaky. The issues with dissolution were known for months and nothing was with not just Reedy Creek Improvement District but the other districts as well. Then it was pushed through a special session in days. It was the legislature that didn’t provide notice of their plans. And while much is being made of the agreement being finalized right before the legislature voted, that’s not what makes it law. There was nearly a month between this happening and governor getting around to scheduling his little show. And to top it off they keep repeating the lie about it being a special tax district. Repeating lies at face value isn’t being objective. It isn’t “giving both sides,” it’s just helping spread bull.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

There's nothing to say that Florida cant establish very short (as in mear feet long) toll roads into the district and charge non-residents $10 bucks a pop to enter it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom