News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

So if Disney did push to limit power is there a problem? I'm pretty sure all the I's were dotted and the T's crossed, this will be taught in law schools as the way to make the law operate in your favor.
What is delicious is the puppet's strings were clipped and they didn't even know it. Like standing for a second then collapsing to the ground after impact....
As we’ve seen recently, people do sometimes get a little loose when communicating with known parties. I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if something is found and touted as a smoking gun. Given that the text of the bill was released a whole two days before the deals were finalized, it’s hard to imagine it would be much.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’d imagine they’re looking for proof that Disney pushed for this to specifically take power away from the new board.

And? What would that proof show? There's nothing illegal about that.

To review for potential violations of state law, which is pretty much the attorney general’s job.

Well, yes, but doesn't there need to be probable cause that a crime has been committed? AGs aren't supposed to go on fishing expeditions.

As we’ve seen recently, people do sometimes get a little loose when communicating with known parties. I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if something is found and touted as a smoking gun. Given that the text of the bill was released a whole two days before the deals were finalized, it’s hard to imagine it would be much.

And even if it was, so what?

JoeCamel

Or something that they can construe as needing to be litigated thereby validating their existence and spending any monies required and damn the people (Disney) funding the board. Good luck, my money is on Disney legal

GimpYancIent

It's all about the details. Right now very well compensated legal eagles are:........
1680230374905.png

CentralFLlife

Well, yes, but doesn't there need to be probable cause that a crime has been committed? AGs aren't supposed to go on fishing expeditions.

And even if it was, so what?
I never said or implied there was anything illegal done by Disney or RCID. I’m just saying that the RCID employees and TWDC lawyers that made this happen probably aren’t going to be tripped up by a smoking gun text message or email, when any email the Creek sends out has an incredibly clear disclosure at the bottom of it stating that written communication with the creek is subject to public record.

Vegas Disney Fan

To review for potential violations of state law, which is pretty much the attorney general’s job.

I thought the same, the new board will need a reason to overturn the previous deal beyond “they don’t like it”. They’ll need something that shows collusion or unethical dealings between Disney and the board, I doubt they’ll find it but they have to look, it’s their best hope of undoing it.

lazyboy97o

I never said or implied there was anything illegal done by Disney or RCID. I’m just saying that the RCID employees and TWDC lawyers that made this happen probably aren’t going to be tripped up by a smoking gun text message or email, when any email the Creek sends out has an incredibly clear disclosure at the bottom of it stating that written communication with the creek is subject to public record.
You’re describing something that isn’t unique. Those disclosures are everywhere on websites and email signatures related to governments in Florida.

afterabme

In other non-District news, the RCID website now has the agenda document for the special meetings of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista on April 6. Based on just a quick look, there isn't anything too spicy in them like there was for the RCID/CFTOD BOS sheet.

Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista have city council members resigning.
Both are approving minutes from the meeting on Feb 8.
Both are seeking to re-appoint people to the Pollution Control Board for another one-year term.
Both will consider other businesses, whatever that consist of.

The only major difference is Lake Buena Vista is requesting approval to appoint an assistant city manager.

Overall nothing spicy like Nandos Peri Peri or yesterday's stuff, but the cities are something to keep an eye on.

LBV April 6 Agenda Sheet:

BL April 6 Agenda Sheet:

Not 100% sure but I'm guessing anyone can attend these meetings. These probably won't attract the same attention as the RCID or CFTOD meetings.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And Disney still has their freedom of speech and can publicly speak out about whatever state legislation they want
I guess the only violation of the 1st amendment in your universe is if they cut out their tongues and cut off their hands so they can’t speak out again?

You have absolutely no understanding of the 1a at all. Like… zero.

Yes, please go back to reddit.

LittleBuford

The only auto mod around here is the inability to post naughty words
Not in my experience. When I was new here, some of my (entirely apolitical) posts were also invisible to others while awaiting moderation. After I got past a certain threshold, the system just accepted my posts automatically.

Regardless, the poster in question is not being censored in the way he imagines.

flyakite

Posted in Orlando Sentinel this morning:

NOTICE OF MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on April 12 th at 9:30 a.m., or as soon thereafter as practicable, the Board of Supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet in regular session at The Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort 1850 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Florida in the Horizons Ballroom. At that time, they will consider such business as may properly come before them.
3/31/2023 7398527

Riviera Rita

A lot of us don't seem to understand the first amendment. Disney's freedom of speech was not violated. The First Amendment simply blocks federal and state governments from abridging or preventing expression. It does not protect anyone from the whims of the political (or social) systems in which they reside. The consequences of their speech still adhere to the speakers. Right or wrong, we see states do this all the time. I don't want to speak for @Spokker, but I assume this is one of his points.

You can disagree with the actions the Florida governor/legislature are taking against Disney -- I'm personally still on the fence about it myself -- but let's stop using the first amendment argument.
Disney's 'crime' was disagreeing with a bigoted piece of legislation that has no place in decent society and is actually a work of demagoguery aimed at appeasing on section of the electorate. Disney wasnt being political, they were being moral. And DeSantis is using all this to appear to be a hard man on the bigger stage of the entire US.

ParentsOf4

As an aside to the current conversation, I have no idea how intentional all this was by Disney but the more I think about it the smarter it looks.

If you think back to the early days of this mess, one of the original ideas behind stripping RCID according to the state was that it was not ratified after the state constitution was amended back in 1968. Using that fact, the state was able to push through a law that did not specifically target Disney as the bill would cover all special districts formed before 1968. That gave them at least some cover in courts to avoid a 1A fight.

By not fighting at the time Disney allowed the state to take over RCID effectively ratifying it under the amended constitution so now if they tried to dissolve or change the district they can’t fall back on their original argument AND they would now be targeting exactly one district which strengthens any case Disney does chose to bring if it comes to that.
Many highlight the First Amendment violation but by setting this up as a contracts dispute where Disney is the defendant, Disney is in a much stronger legal position than if they were the plaintiff in a First Amendment case.

Unlike corporate First Amendment rights, contract law is well-established with few controversial rulings. In general, a corporation’s contract protections are more secure than their First Amendment protections.

By turning this into a contracts case with Disney as the defendant, Disney played this brilliantly, while DeSantis was played the fool.

Lilofan

Posted in Orlando Sentinel this morning:

NOTICE OF MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on April 12 th at 9:30 a.m., or as soon thereafter as practicable, the Board of Supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet in regular session at The Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort 1850 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Florida in the Horizons Ballroom. At that time, they will consider such business as may properly come before them.
3/31/2023 7398527
For some who attend the meeting , it’s walking distance to Disney Springs for nice food options and shopping too ! The World of Disney store is huge!

lazyboy97o

Many highlight the First Amendment violation but by setting this up as a contracts dispute where Disney is the defendant, Disney is in a much stronger legal position than if they were the plaintiff in a First Amendment case.

Unlike corporate First Amendment rights, contract law is well-established with few controversial rulings. In general, a corporation’s contract protections are more secure than their First Amendment protections.

By turning this into a contracts case with Disney as the defendant, Disney played this brilliantly, while DeSantis was played the fool.
Does Disney have to be the defendant? The likely argument is probably that the old board, the District, did something there were not allowed to do. Could the state not then sue the District for their conduct? Then your defendant is the District who wouldn’t be putting up much of a defense and instead would be more admitting guilt.

GBAB1973

And Disney still has their freedom of speech and can publicly speak out about whatever state legislation they want. They're just not going to get to keep control of their special tax district (which the governor/state government considers special treatment) for it.

Again, I can't say I 100% agree with what the governor/state legislature is doing. But I don't think Disney's first amendment is being violated. Just like I don't think users banned from Twitter have had their first amendment rights violated.

I'll leave it at that.

LOL.

So using this logic as long as one can physically still open their mouths and say something, the government can do whatever they want to you if you say something they don't like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom