News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mmascari

maybe [Iger] is just looking to make as much money as possible for the company, the shareholders and himself and call it a day.
Giving Ron full control over all Disney content decisions would seem to put a dent in the money machine. It's another bold move.

I cannot wait for the next Star Wars movie where the Empire is the good guys. Out there imposing their values on the rest of the galaxy.

lazyboy97o

Maybe Iger is secretly playing 4D chess to right all the injustices in Florida, California, China, Japan and France, OR...

maybe he is just looking to make as much money as possible for the company, the shareholders and himself and call it a day.

He definitely doesn't want to give any Orlando cast members a penny more then they have to. Ask the union.
Lots of ongoing litigation to challenge multiple district actions wouldn’t be cheap.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Lots of ongoing litigation to challenge multiple district actions wouldn’t be cheap.
In addition there is a cost benefit analysis that needs to be performed for each individual suit that could be brought.

Bogging down the new district in litigation on every matter (even if at times tedious changes are requested or purposeful delays are imposed) could simply add fuel to the fire. And create a more adverse relationship with the board that would only worsen the relationship.

It’s best to take this on a case by case basis. In some cases remedies outside of court (even if more costly than the status quo) are likely preferred to protracted litigation. Time will also tell if individual members of the board may opt to make public statements that could either perjure themselves on certain matters or require them to recuse themselves as conflicts of interest become more apparent.

mmascari

They can deny projects for a variety of reasons.
Or, for no reason at all.

The just announced less than a month ago $176M World Drive project, that Orlando Business Journal says "Once started, the project will take two years to complete.".

Once confirmed, the new board could:
  • Stop the project immediately with nothing done.
  • Shortly after the project starts, stop the project.
  • In the middle of the project, when everything is torn up with maximum disruption, temporary diversions, and traffic cones everywhere, stop the project.
  • Let it go to completion.
They don't need any reason at all to pick any of those options. Just the whimsy that it wasn't a great idea to spend resources on the project and that they would prefer to do something else with the money.

Short of a smoking email that directly says the project is being stopped because of content Disney is creating, there isn't any grounds Disney could sue the district on for stopping the project. The normal check on this would be voting for new board members that will take actions their constituents desire does not apply any more.

Even with that smoking email, because lets just accept that it wouldn't be an email, it'll be a stump speech shouted for all to hear, they would still have to prove that this was the reason when the board says "actually we missed the speech and just thought it was poor use of funds".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What is the long game? The current board really wanted to hurt Disney they would not allow any new bonds to be issued. At the same time increasing taxes to get the existing bonds to be paid off. Once that is done, Florida could do what they wanted to in the first place and abolish the old Reedy Creek District. Now if you have a warped sense of humor like I do, instead of being under the control of the Despicable Republican controlled state legislation, they would be under the control of the Democratic controlled Orange County government. Yikes, maybe that is why they are not fighting this change. What is the lesser of 2 evils.

The above is a HUMOROUS take on things, not a political statement
Except there is no mechanism to raise taxes (as @ParentsOf4 posted earlier) without the consent of the landowners. Pesky state constitution in the way again. So no way to pay the bonds off sooner without Disney consent and some of the bonds have a no early redemption clause so they would also need bond holder consent to pay them off early. They could decide not to issue new bonds going forward but then they also cannot do new projects unless the project can be covered by the current operating budget. Some of the projects are needed and can’t just be ignored. Others could be canceled. The reason bonds are issued is to spread the cost of larger capital projects over multiple years so it would be difficult to continue to do projects and also attempt to rid the district of debt. That would be possible if Disney worked with the state and the district on some sort of plan, but that seems unlikely.

Problem 2 of this plan….the services provided by the district would need to be absorbed by the local counties if the district is dissolved. It’s not just debt payments. So road maintenance, utilities and Emergency Services would all need to be covered. The extra cost for those services would be paid for by the county through their normal budgets and through real estate taxes. There is no mechanism for the county to charge Disney more taxes (higher real estate tax mileage rate) than any other landowner so the tax increase would be felt by all. The net result would be a large tax break for Disney since they would no longer have to pay their extra tax assessment to RCID at the expense of every other local taxpayer. Ironically the only way to have Disney pat extra taxes for services specific to their property would be to create a special tax district. That’s what they’re for. That’s what RCID was. Too many people bought into the political hype that it was some tax break for Disney and a benefit that allowed them to avoid paying as much in taxes. It is actually the opposite.

mmascari

It quite literally just occurred to me, but there is a HUGE drawback to Disney suing the district for anything.

As part of the legal challenge:
Disney pays Disney's lawyers.
CFTOD pays CFTOD's lawyers.
Disney pays all of CFTOD's costs.

So, for every lawsuit between Disney and CFTOD, Disney is quite literally paying all the lawyers on both sides.

It's like a divorce where the couple pays their lawyers all the money they were trying to split up until there is nothing left to split.

Edit: And @peter11435 posted the same thing while I was typing. 👍 and so did @Chip Chipperson I must type super slow.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

In addition there is a cost benefit analysis that needs to be performed for each individual suit that could be brought.

Bogging down the new district in litigation on every matter (even if at times tedious changes are requested or purposeful delays are imposed) could simply add fuel to the fire. And create a more adverse relationship with the board that would only worsen the relationship.

It’s best to take this on a case by case basis. In some cases remedies outside of court (even if more costly than the status quo) are likely preferred to protracted litigation. Time will also tell if individual members of the board may opt to make public statements that could either perjure themselves on certain matters or require them to recuse themselves as conflicts of interest become more apparent.
Just a few court cases easily becomes more expensive over doing it now and avoiding the whole thing. The fallacy of appeasement is that it makes things easier in the long run when it’s always cheaper and easier to act sooner than later.

Vegas Disney Fan

If the police stop you from voting because they don’t like who you will vote for, have you not been harmed until the elected official does something to more directly harm you? Or is just preventing your participation itself a harm?

Possibly but a judge might also rule that they still vote for the Gov and State Reps, who now appoint the district members, so they still have a vote, it’s just an indirect vote rather than a direct vote.

It’s a much higher standard to prove something in court, especially if the judge may already be biased against you.

Edited to add, I’m not saying what the state did is right, just saying an apparent slam dunk isn’t always a slam dunk, Disney could lose and then they have an even higher burden of proof in the future.

ParentsOf4

Too many people bought into the political hype that it was some tax break for Disney and a benefit that allowed them to avoid paying as much in taxes. It is actually the opposite.
People need to pay closer attention to what DeSantis is actually saying about this, because he's being particularly slimy when it comes to Disney and taxes.

DeSantis has issued statements such as this:

Disney is going to pay its fair share of taxes and Disney is going to honor the debt.​

And this:

ensures that Disney pays its debts and fair share of taxes.​

Note that there is no claim that Disney has not already been paying their "fair share of taxes", only that DeSantis is going to make sure that Disney does so going forward. DeSantis is using words to complain about a problem that does not exist.

DeSantis is playing with words to mislead the uninformed into thinking that Disney is not already paying their fair share of taxes in central Florida.

lazyboy97o

Not to mention Disney would basically be paying for both sides of the litigation

Especially since Disney's tax dollars would be paying for the Board's attorneys.

It quite literally just occurred to me, but there is a HUGE drawback to Disney suing the district for anything.

As part of the legal challenge:
Disney pays Disney's lawyers.
CFTOD pays CFTOD's lawyers.
Disney pays all of CFTOD's costs.

So, for every lawsuit between Disney and CFTOD, Disney is quite literally paying all the lawyers on both sides.

It's like a divorce where the couple pays their lawyers all the money they were trying to split up until there is nothing left to split.

Edit: And @peter11435 posted the same thing while I was typing. 👍 and so did @Chip Chipperson I must type super slow.
All the more reason that this idea that it’s best to wait to challenge anything doesn’t actually add up. So a fight later is effectively double the cost. The only way it’s cheaper and easier to wait is to decide now to just accept decisions without pushing back.

mmascari

Possibly but a judge might also rule that they still vote for the Gov and State Reps, who now appoint the district members, so they still have a vote, it’s just an indirect vote rather than a direct vote.
That is clearly not the same thing though. Should be trivial to show that.

If there are 100 voters within the boundary, someone's vote is 1% of the voter block. With voters across the state of FL, that person's vote has been reduced to a minor fraction of a percent that's almost to small to calculate. Plus, it points out that why should voters outside the boundary get to vote for who is in charge?

I don't get to vote for FL governor. Should my vote be counted in the FL governor race? It's the same thing.

drnilescrane

Or, for no reason at all.

The just announced less than a month ago $176M World Drive project, that Orlando Business Journal says "Once started, the project will take two years to complete.".

Once confirmed, the new board could:
  • Stop the project immediately with nothing done.
  • Shortly after the project starts, stop the project.
  • In the middle of the project, when everything is torn up with maximum disruption, temporary diversions, and traffic cones everywhere, stop the project.
  • Let it go to completion.
They don't need any reason at all to pick any of those options. Just the whimsy that it wasn't a great idea to spend resources on the project and that they would prefer to do something else with the money.
I don't see them doing that, only because I think they want to present themselves as a "better" model of governernace.

No, they'll come up with some phony investigation that proves Reedy Creek was woke. That Disney was misappropriating money. Make a point of firing the district administrator for using the correct pronouns.

Make a show of changing permitting processes so applicants have to affirmatively prove that they don't have DEI programs. Redirect contracts to their friends and grift money off the top.

DisneyCane

If the police stop you from voting because they don’t like who you will vote for, have you not been harmed until the elected official does something to more directly harm you? Or is just preventing your participation itself a harm?
I don't think the analogy works.

I don't think there is any requirement in the Florida Constitution that the Government of a political subdivision necessarily needs to be elected by the residents within the subdivision vs. being appointed by a superseding subdivision.

The police stopping you from voting for an office that other citizens are allowed to vote for is disenfranchising you. If nobody votes for the office then it just isn't an elected office.

I don't get to vote for the Building Official in charge of the building department where I live but said official has power over permitting for my home. I can't sue over it because nobody gets to vote for who fills that position.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom