News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

sedati

That’s my opinion as well. I don’t believe he actually wants to drive Disney out of Florida, and certainly not the dollars Disney brings in. But he definitely wants to use his power to control Disney’s content and stance on social issues. In the press conference the other day, he talked about getting them back on track. Clearly he was referring to them having views and content he agreed with. This is all far outside the jurisdiction of government.
Unfortunately you could just as easily swap “Disney” with “Schools”.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not sure it really matters but technically about a quarter of RCID taxes are paid out of DVC maintenance fees so technically any DVC owner at a WDW resort is an indirect taxpayer. Should I file a lawsuit? I need @ParentsOf4 or @lazyboy97o as my council pro bono. I’m not paying for a lawyer and I know only enough about this stuff to be dangerous ;););)

I think you'll find there's a enough of us to file a class action lawsuit. Wonder what Morgan & Morgan are doing. 😉

Is Charlie Crist back in practice? A former state legislator, education commissioner, AG and governor might be handy.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't know. The state already told anyone who would listen to them this was punishment for Disney speaking out and now Ron is out there writing op-eds and telling people he is going to use the new control over the district to limit Disney's ability to create content as they see fit. Seems that just makes their case easier if they chose to file.

Good luck to that. The Central Florida Tourism Authority District doesn't own or operate WDW.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What is the long game? The current board really wanted to hurt Disney they would not allow any new bonds to be issued. At the same time increasing taxes to get the existing bonds to be paid off. Once that is done, Florida could do what they wanted to in the first place and abolish the old Reedy Creek District. Now if you have a warped sense of humor like I do, instead of being under the control of the Despicable Republican controlled state legislation, they would be under the control of the Democratic controlled Orange County government. Yikes, maybe that is why they are not fighting this change. What is the lesser of 2 evils.

The above is a HUMOROUS take on things, not a political statement

The long game is for Desantis to get elected president.

MrPromey

Ultimately, is what DeSantis has done nothing more than a political stunt that will have little to no effect on Disney?
It's definitely a political stunt.

DeSantis is smarter than he's acting.

As lazyboy97o has pointed out, though, even if nothing really comes of this specific thing it sets precedent and makes it all that much easier for the future erosion of corporate and citizen rights in this state.

Regardless of if you agree with DeStantis' statements about "woke" Disney or not and regardless of if this actually hurts Disney or not, this should be viewed as troubling for everyone.

Personal politics shouldn't even be in play when considering it.

Disney is going to protect their own interests and if they think this change is manageable, I can understand why they aren't fighting it. They aren't in the business of fighting for society.

That said, the rest of us certainly should take heed.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

l
Disney has to wait until they suffer actual harm at the hands of the new board.

This is my belief also, threatening to hit someone vs actually hitting someone, both are technically illegal but they are vastly different in terms of proof and severity.

Currently the new board is only a threat, they “might” harm Disney but they haven’t yet so there’s no evidence, if/when they actually do harm Disney then Disney has a much stronger court case.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It's definitely a political stunt.

DeSantis is smarter than he's acting.

As lazyboy97o has pointed out, though, even if nothing really comes of this specific thing it sets precedent and makes it all that much easier for the future erosion of corporate and citizen rights in this state.

Regardless of if you agree with DeStantis' statements about "woke" Disney or not and regardless of if this actually hurts Disney or not, this should be troubling.

My thoughts? Iger is biding his time. The members of the Board will be confirmed once the Legislature starts session next Tuesday.

LAKid53

Premium Member
No, but they can negatively impact the operations of Walt Disney World.

Not really. The board doesn't run the parks, park CMs, including talent, aren't district employees. If they tried that, that's when Disney would take action.

lazyboy97o

l

This is my belief also, threatening to hit someone vs actually hitting someone, both are technically illegal but they are vastly different in terms of proof and severity.

Currently the new board is only a threat, they “might” harm Disney but they haven’t yet so there’s no evidence, if/when they actually do harm Disney then Disney has a much stronger court case.
If the police stop you from voting because they don’t like who you will vote for, have you not been harmed until the elected official does something to more directly harm you? Or is just preventing your participation itself a harm?

LAKid53

Premium Member
If the police stop you from voting because they don’t like who you will vote for, have you not been harmed until the elected official does something to more directly harm you? Or is just preventing your participation itself a harm?

Yes you've been harmed.

lazyboy97o

Not really. The board doesn't run the parks, park CMs, including talent, aren't district employees. If they tried that, that's when Disney would take action.
They control things directly related to park operations. They could shut a hotel, restaurant or now even a ride down for the day over safety concerns. They can deny projects approval to move forward. And while each of those are being litigated they can keep doing it to other things. The power is absolutely there to be abused.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They control things directly related to park operations. They could shut a hotel, restaurant or now even a ride down for the day over safety concerns. They can deny projects approval to move forward. And while each of those are being litigated they can keep doing it to other things. The power is absolutely there to be abused.

Which then gives Disney grounds as they'd be harmed.

Might be time to purchase stock in popcorn.

CaptainMickey

Maybe Iger is secretly playing 4D chess to right all the injustices in Florida, California, China, Japan and France, OR...

maybe he is just looking to make as much money as possible for the company, the shareholders and himself and call it a day.

He definitely doesn't want to give any Orlando cast members a penny more then they have to. Ask the union.

Nubs70

Politicians are allowed to lie for “campaign speech”. They do it all the time.

Many on this board, especially those who despise DeSantis, say he’s doing this to raise funds for his presidential run.

All DeSantis’ attorneys have to say in front of a judge is, “All those public statements were to gain favor with the Republican electorate. Really, the Governor is genuinely worried that RCID gave Disney an unfair advantage over its competition in central Florida.”

A judge who leans conservative might hear this and accept this statement from DeSantis’ attorneys. Case dismissed without prejudice. Now Disney has to wait until they suffer actual harm at the hands of the new board.
So it can be said that Disney does not have standing until harm has been incurred by the action of the new board? Correct?

Tha Realest

So it can be said that Disney does not have standing until harm has been incurred by the action of the new board? Correct?
Standing can be a complex thing but potentially, yes.

RCID =\= Disney. I know they’ve been conflated in the past but but they are distinct entities. Disney may be harmed in the removal of their representation rights in terms of selecting and choosing board members, but that’s the only immediate issue.

lazyboy97o

Which then gives Disney grounds as they'd be harmed.

Might be time to purchase stock in popcorn.
Depending how it is done, the grounds can easily become much murkier. The district is allowed to conduct safety inspections. They’re allowed to order facilities closed if they feel they are unsafe. They can deny projects for a variety of reasons.

And even if Disney has good grounds, it’s only for that one decision. They can just do it again the next day while the first matter get litigated over years. The chances of getting an injunction for something like barring the fire marshal from inspecting buildings is close to nill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom