News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Figgy1

CFTOD is hated enough.

Aside from taking park tickets from their employees, CFTOD only does stuff to make themselves look good. CFTOD will NOT do anything close or hassle the WDW monorail, THEY KNOW Disney... er I mean, RCID, ran the monorails safely for over 50 years, they know whatever process and procedures in place are fine, just change the cover sheets to CFTOD.

The WDW monorails are not going anywhere.
FDOT has control of the monorails not RC

Goofyernmost

There's a lot of DVC owners who purchased to be in the monorail resorts. There would be a fairly significant uproar if the monorail was canned.
They won't be very happy if the "district" shuts it down just for kicks either. I don't doubt that they liked the idea of having the Monorail handy, but they didn't spend that much money just because of it. They manage when there is a breakdown, they can still get where they want to go and have to stay within the confines of the Monorail schedule the other times. Besides, let's get realistic, it doesn't take that many rides before the charm starts to wear thin.

Goofyernmost

WDW has three resorts that are served by the monorail -- Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian. And, yes, I believe it would definitely impact bookings at those resorts if the monorail no longer serviced them. Not to mention all of the people who bought DVC at those properties on the basis of the monorail.
I don't disagree, but the extent is limited. People that go to those resorts don't just go to MK. There are three other parks and the entire property is an experience in itself. I know that there would be some pushback, but I don't really think that the Monorail is the only reason they are staying in those three resorts.

James Alucobond

I don't disagree, but the extent is limited. People that go to those resorts don't just go to MK. There are three other parks and the entire property is an experience in itself. I know that there would be some pushback, but I don't really think that the Monorail is the only reason they are staying in those three resorts.
They also have relatively easy access to EPCOT via the monorail, especially the Polynesian, which in turn grants "continuing service" to Hollywood Studios for afternoon parkhoppers, all without the terribleness that is a bus. It's definitely the core reason I stay there. If the monorail were gone, I'd instantly switch my habits to favor the Crescent Lake resorts.

Goofyernmost

They also have relatively easy access to EPCOT via the monorail, especially the Polynesian, which in turn grants "continuing service" to Hollywood Studios for afternoon parkhoppers, all without the terribleness that is a bus. It's definitely the core reason I stay there. If the monorail were gone, I'd instantly switch my habits to favor the Crescent Lake resorts.
Yes, I know and I do agree that their would be some degree of uproar about it. I don't think, however, that people would stop going to WDW just because there no longer was a Monorail. That is a pretty specific item and it is really not much more than a weird designed bus. Besides now that Disney knows they can build a Gondola system to take people to the same place and perhaps even add a route to Animal Kingdom.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
There's a lot of DVC owners who purchased to be in the monorail resorts. There would be a fairly significant uproar if the monorail was canned.
Some chose the resorts for the monorail but most choose for MK proximity, and the monorail is only a part of that. At Grand Floridian and Contemporary using the monorail to get to/from EPCOT feels, imo, burdensome with need to change lines.

The monorail needs significant investment to last into the 2060s when the monorail DVC resort contracts expire, and how Disney has punted Monorail decisions I don't feel great about Disney ever pulling the trigger.

Touchdown

Me too.

GCTales

Didn't the inspection of the monorail already take place and it's good to go for the next two years?
I thought, based on the last reports we had seen in media, that they were still reviewing / understanding Disney procedures and had yet to generate their minimum safety standard. Have to have a standard before they can inspect for compliance to it.

Edit: spelling corrections

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I just think the distance with the constant slowdowns to let those who need extra time would make it less likely to actually happen. I love the skyline btw, and would love to see it expanded on property.
It would still work because the slow downs happen in a different lane, they'd just have to make the lane a little longer. It was just a thought anyway, it is possible, but not very likely. As far as delays though, the buses do it all the time.

UNCgolf

I just think the distance with the constant slowdowns to let those who need extra time would make it less likely to actually happen. I love the skyline btw, and would love to see it expanded on property.

The Skyliner is much slower than the monorail in general, even if it didn't have any of the slowdowns/stoppages. A trip from the TTC to EPCOT on the Skyliner, if built along the existing monorail line, would take roughly 20 minutes even if it ran at max speed the entire time (it almost certainly wouldn't). The monorail does that trip in about 6 minutes.

The speed is one of the reasons the Skyliner isn't a viable option for resort wide transportation -- at least not without continuing to run buses as they do now, or adding some other new options.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Skyliner's "slow" problem is that they didn't build a physical needs bypass at Riviera. Every EV and person/group going on or off at Riviera that needs more time slows the whole line down, and sometimes stops it completely.

If you have special needs pull-offs at every station, it can be pretty speedy. But don't count on speeds over 15 mph (WDW's Skyliner's top speed is 11.2 mph (5 meters/sec).

Goofyernmost

The Skyliner is much slower than the monorail in general, even if it didn't have any of the slowdowns/stoppages. A trip from the TTC to EPCOT on the Skyliner, if built along the existing monorail line, would take roughly 20 minutes even if it ran at max speed the entire time (it almost certainly wouldn't). The monorail does that trip in about 6 minutes.

The speed is one of the reasons the Skyliner isn't a viable option for resort wide transportation -- at least not without continuing to run buses as they do now, or adding some other new options.
Speed isn't anywhere near as slow as the bus and it isn't influenced by traffic, etc. I think as a constant moving entity it is probably fast. Just think about the time used just loading the buses before it moves an inch. The monorail is faster, but we were just talking about, what if it isn't there anymore.

Last edited:

lewisc

The Skyliner's "slow" problem is that they didn't build a physical needs bypass at Riviera. Every EV and person/group going on or off at Riviera that needs more time slows the whole line down, and sometimes stops it completely.

If you have special needs pull-offs at every station, it can be pretty speedy. But don't count on speeds over 15 mph (WDW's Skyliner's top speed is 11.2 mph (5 meters/sec).
The issue is the mix. The problem would all but dissappear if Riviera had the bypass.

Specific gondola cabins are configured to bypass. I'm thinking every 12th, not sure of the exact number. Riviera would work better if the line could be slowed or stopped and then 3 or 4 scooters loaded at once. That can't be done, the scooters designated to bypass have to be spaced out.

Goofyernmost

The most expensive part of the skyliner is the number of stations on the line.
Gondolas travel in straight lines. You would need so many turning stations to be able to circle Seven Seas Lagoon. Or to go from TTC to Epcot.
As I recall, the original gondola ride in WDW's MK had a turn and didn't have any fancy turning stations to do it. Now it might be that they couldn't have more then one before it started to have a problem. But it seems like it is possible without a whole lot of effort. Now on the Epcot line going around that lagoon would be problematic, I would think, but they could find a straight line from MK to Epcot without to much effort. Please understand that I am NOT in favor of losing the Monorail. Aesthetically, it is an integral part of WDW.

Last edited:

scottieRoss

1706448369625.png

here is a picture of the turning station in Magic Kingdom from yesterland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom