News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Even there, who knows if it would actually be possible to build support columns on that land... plus, would they need to put one in the middle of Bay Lake? I'm not sure how far apart they are.

I mean I'm sure they could build on any of the land if they really wanted to, but it might not be worth the cost.

I've gotten the impression that there are a lot of people who wouldn't be interested in riding the Skyliner for 20+ minute long trips, even when they love the existing service.
The existing Skyliner goes through some mush with rather deep pilings. It’d be deeper, but building towers in the Seven Seas Lagoon wouldn’t be much different than building towers in Hourglass Lake.

UNCgolf

The existing Skyliner goes through some mush with rather deep pilings. It’d be deeper, but building towers in the Seven Seas Lagoon wouldn’t be much different than building towers in Hourglass Lake.

I was thinking more about potential effects on the ferry, water taxis, etc.

Not that the columns are that large, but they'd still be a potential hazard.

UNCgolf

It’d be no different than any of the many other waterways with structures in them. They would be protected the way bridges are protected.

I wasn't suggesting it can't be done -- was only speculating about Disney's desire to do so. I doubt they have much interest in putting columns into Bay Lake.

That said, I don't think it would stop them from building a Skyliner expansion like the one discussed above. They have plenty of other reasons not to do it.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

Even there, who knows if it would actually be possible to build support columns on that land... plus, would they need to put one in the middle of Bay Lake? I'm not sure how far apart they are.

I mean I'm sure they could build on any of the land if they really wanted to, but it might not be worth the cost.

I've gotten the impression that there are a lot of people who wouldn't be interested in riding the Skyliner for 20+ minute long trips, even when they love the existing service.
If I remember correctly, the Skyliner from Pop Century to Epcot is around 20 minutes, although that requires changing lines at the Caribbean Beach transfer station. So I agree that the length of the ride isn't a barrier (at least in terms of having guests ride - the cost and logistics of building it might be a different story).

flyakite

From Orlando Sentinel:

MEETING NOTICE
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 9:30 a.m., the Pollution Control Board of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet in regular session at the Environmental Sciences Building, 2191 South Service Lane, Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830. At that time, the Board will discuss such business as may properly come before them.
By: Doreen Johnson

pdude81

From Orlando Sentinel:

MEETING NOTICE
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 9:30 a.m., the Pollution Control Board of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet in regular session at the Environmental Sciences Building, 2191 South Service Lane, Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830. At that time, the Board will discuss such business as may properly come before them.
Can't wait to hear what they will consider "pollution" that needs to be controlled. Hopefully it's really just wastewater and not some other nonsense.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
From Orlando Sentinel:

MEETING NOTICE
Huh, that's right down the street from Walt's Plane.

Is this open to the public? I'd love to attend.

mkt

Premium Member
Can't wait to hear what they will consider "pollution" that needs to be controlled. Hopefully it's really just wastewater and not some other nonsense.
I took a peek at the members. These seem to be actual professionals who are considered experts fields that are relevant to pollution control and who were there before Ronny D did what he did.

mkt

Premium Member

Grace Pierce (Chair) - too common of a name to get her bio, but she's been in this board since well before CFTOD existed.

O. Sam Ackley - Former real estate developer and City of Kissimmee Manager. I'd argue and say he's somewhat qualified.

Andrea Jernigan-Gwinn - Civil/Site Engineer - here's her bio, she's very qualified

Kermit Prime - Environmental Engineer and former president of the Florida Engineering Society. Additionally, he is apparently a standup guy who was fired in retaliation for reporting unethical/corrupt behavior to his former superiors in regards to executing a government contract. Extremely qualified.

Jay Exum - Environmental consultant with a PHD in Wildlife Ecology. Yeah, extremely qualified.

Additionally, thanks to good googling and Florida's very lax public records laws, there is a mix of democrats, republicans, and NPAs on this board. I won't say who is which.

For those who are wondering: THIS is what a qualified board looks like: qualifications go over party loyalty. Unlike the hyperpartisan and inept OTHER board that DeSantis put in power.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

Grace Pierce (Chair) - too common of a name to get her bio, but she's been in this board since well before CFTOD existed.

O. Sam Ackley - Former real estate developer and City of Kissimmee Manager. I'd argue and say he's somewhat qualified.

Andrea Jernigan-Gwinn - Civil/Site Engineer - here's her bio, she's very qualified

Kermit Prime - Environmental Engineer and former president of the Florida Engineering Society. Additionally, he is apparently a standup guy who was fired in retaliation for reporting unethical/corrupt behavior to his former superiors in regards to executing a government contract. Extremely qualified.

Jay Exum - Environmental consultant with a PHD in Wildlife Ecology. Yeah, extremely qualified.

Additionally, thanks to good googling and Florida's very lax public records laws, there is a mix of democrats, republicans, and NPAs on this board. I won't say who is which.

For those who are wondering: THIS is what a qualified board looks like: qualifications go over party loyalty. Unlike the hyperpartisan and inept OTHER board that DeSantis put in power.
Kermit really is a perfect name for someone on a Pollution Control board. If anyone knows about being green, it's him.

mkt

Premium Member
Kermit really is a perfect name for someone on a Pollution Control board. If anyone knows about being green, it's him.
This is what I imagined when I read "Kermit Prime"

1706725798051.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom