News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
just more misinformation as always...

The staffing talking points about RCFD were never about people leaving or lack of staffing due to inability to hire. The union was fighting the RCID management over scheduled staffing loads... arguing they were being held too low post-pandemic because it reduced shifts for the union members. and in turn.. limited headcount needed [aka limiting adding more union due paying members]).

The union took the point to the media to try to public shame management arguing things were putting safety at risk. The fight was always about trying to expand the # of shifts and employees... not about unfilled positions or attrition. The 'mass defection' is nothing but someone who doesn't understand what they are regurgitating.

The union was fighting for pay increases and headcounts, just as you would expect the union to do for it's members.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
You clearly don’t know any firefighters in the Central Florida area, lol. Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Osceola, Ocala and probably some of Orange County new hires would love to make an RCFD salary and only have to respond to a fraction of the calls.
Wrong. OCFD and OsCFD contracts paid much better than the old RCFD contract especially for seniority. Also more opportunities for promotion. The new CFTOD contract now makes CFTOD FD the most desirable place in the state to get on the job. So try again.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Wrong. OCFD and OsCFD contracts paid much better than the old RCFD contract especially for seniority. Also more opportunities for promotion. The new CFTOD contract now makes CFTOD FD the most desirable place in the state to get on the job. So try again.
Then why are the firefighters unhappy?

monothingie

Premium Member
Then why are the firefighters unhappy?
Now? They were unhappy that some of their member leaked details of their contract before ratification causing them reconfigure the deal. Regardless the current deal provides them basically everything they wanted.

Before? Under paid, under staffed, stagnant ranks.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Regardless the current deal provides them basically everything they wanted.

Not everything....

Oh, and a number of things promised to the firefighters have been stripped out of the budget.

monothingie

Premium Member
hope the firefighters are very well compensated. I was not the one who was upset, it was Orlando-area leaders.

With that said, I strongly believe in accountability to taxpayers. I don‘t believe in anybody having free rein to spend someone else’s money without having a feedback mechanism. And that is a moral position I hold that I would apply to any similar situation not just this one.
Government serves the public, not solely the tax payer.

Disney being the primary tax payer in the district resulted in the TWDC having a heavy hand in directing how the government operated, which as in the case of RCFD did NOT serve the public. Additionally TWDC utilized their substantial influence over the various public officials in RCID to gain benefits through zoning and other administrative venues that developers in surrounding jurisdictions would not be able to secure or not be able to secure easily and/or quickly.

Last edited:

Twirlnhurl

Additionally TWDC utilized their substantial influence over the various public officials in RCID to gain benefits through zoning and other administrative venues that developers in surrounding jurisdictions would not be able to secure or not be able to secure easily and/or quickly.
I don't have enough knowledge about the fire department to have an opinion on that part of this question. If the State of Florida and the new RCID board arranged for the Orange County Fire Department to take over the operations of the RCFD, along with giving the county RCFD's budget, I would find this line of inquiry more interesting. But the fire department is obviously irrelevant to the actions of the governors office, which is why more direct methods of addressing fire department issues were not pursued.

Government primarily serves the public within its jurisdiction. The RCID's public is Walt Disney World and like three other people.

Governments can serve the public in a broader sense than that. But using that metric, RCID rarely did anything that wasn't in the interest of the state of Florida, or Central Florida in general. When I read Married to the Mouse by Rick Foglesong, I was surprised at how little Disney abused the power of the RCID.

Yes, RCID may have approved building permits more quickly than Orange County would. But crucially, the longer review time at Orange County is not because of greater scrutiny or a higher standard. Instead, that longer review time at Orange County comes from a lower level of staffing VS demand, unclear directives from elected officials, and a generally lower quality of management within the Orange County Government permitting office.

TtocsMc

I don't have enough knowledge about the fire department to have an opinion on that part of this question. If the State of Florida and the new RCID board arranged for the Orange County Fire Department to take over the operations of the RCFD, along with giving the county RCFD's budget, I would find this line of inquiry more interesting. But the fire department is obviously irrelevant to the actions of the governors office, which is why more direct methods of addressing fire department issues were not pursued.

Government primarily serves the public within its jurisdiction. The RCID's public is Walt Disney World and like three other people.

Governments can serve the public in a broader sense than that. But using that metric, RCID rarely did anything that wasn't in the interest of the state of Florida, or Central Florida in general. When I read Married to the Mouse by Rick Foglesong, I was surprised at how little Disney abused the power of the RCID.

Yes, RCID may have approved building permits more quickly than Orange County would. But crucially, the longer review time at Orange County is not because of greater scrutiny or a higher standard. Instead, that longer review time at Orange County comes from a lower level of staffing VS demand, unclear directives from elected officials, and a generally lower quality of management within the Orange County Government permitting office.
Now this is a well written and educated response.

lazyboy97o

The new board would tell you have already corrected a serious safety issue identified by the state by implementing the Florida Fire Prevention Code within the district, replacing the outdated, corrupt, safety nightmare of the previous regime that enforced the Florida Fire Prevention Code.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Government serves the public that elects them in their jurisdictional area. We don't have situations in this country where the government is not accountable to those whom they serve - except in CFTOD.

Some people have the luxury to do what they love regardless of how good/bad their employer is. Others have to pay the bills and put food in mouths. None of that though excuses the reprehensible way Disney regards their CM.

Every single CM I know or talked to love their jobs. Not one has complained about the way Disney treats them. A good friend of mine has been working there now for two years and loves every minute. Another friend has a daughter in the college program, who now is considering staying full time after her program is up and she gets her degree.

I'm sorry, your assertions don't line up with the reality of what those I know have experienced. Are their issues? Sure. But nothing like you make it out to be.

Last edited:

Stripes

Premium Member

Disney being the primary tax payer in the district resulted in the TWDC having a heavy hand in directing how the government operated, which as in the case of RCFD did NOT serve the public. Additionally TWDC utilized their substantial influence over the various public officials in RCID to gain benefits through zoning and other administrative venues that developers in surrounding jurisdictions would not be able to secure or not be able to secure easily and/or quickly.
I agree that the purpose of government is to serve the public and not solely the taxpayer. However, when it comes to government spending there must be a feedback mechanism to ensure accountability to taxpayers.

Given the public information available about RCFD, I think your claim that the department did not serve the public is wholly unjustified.

It’s my view that the owner of 90% of land in a particular jurisdiction should have “substantial influence” over the zoning regulations of their own land in that jurisdiction. It’s not clear to me how that substantial influence was abused to harm the public interest even if we ignore the clear benefits RCID offered to the Orlando-area.

lazyboy97o

Government serves the public that elects them in their jurisdictional area. We don't have situations in this country where the government is not accountable to those whom they serve - except in CFTOD.
It is a bit telling that the big criticism of the Reedy Creek Improvement District is something that would be questionable at best in any other situation. An elected official serving the interests of those outside their jurisdiction would be a serious problem and at its extremes can even be a criminal offense.

Isamar

What is telling in here is that clearly some people have no clue how special districts work, and who they are there to serve.

Thanks for always injecting fact.

It hasn’t helped that so much of the media coverage has failed to explain how RCID worked or, worse, simply parroted the widespread misunderstanding that it was a “tax break” for Disney.

Disney Analyst

It hasn’t helped that so much of the media coverage has failed to explain how RCID worked or, worse, simply parroted the widespread misunderstanding that it was a “tax break” for Disney.

Unfortunately, the way the world is now, people just push out lie after lie, and eventually many can no longer discern truth or fact, and just sit in their rage pits, being stoked by those who profit and earn power from their misdirected, or misguided rage.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Mass resignations and the firing of senior managers, including the HR director, IS NOT an indication morale is high in the District. High turnover and/or resignations is an indicator of a dysfunctional and chaotic organization. Also shows that the execs don't have a clue HOW to manage. Over time, recruitment and training is more costly than retention. Worked in a few such environments.

monothingie

Premium Member
That's not accurate. We're talking about local, not state government. Which serves the public within its jurisdiction. In the case of OCTOD, it IS the taxpayer, who is primarily TWDC.
It is very accurate. You’re just wrong.

So all the non taxpayers who are traverse through Disney are not entitled to the services of CFTOD? Who maintains the roads and sewers and storm water systems they utilize? I sure hope none of them need an ambulance or the fire department.

Government at all levels provide services to everyone, not just the people who pay the taxes.

Lilofan

It is very accurate. You’re just wrong.

So all the non taxpayers who are traverse through Disney are not entitled to the services of CFTOD? Who maintains the roads and sewers and storm water systems they utilize? I sure hope none of them need an ambulance or the fire department.

Government at all levels provide services to everyone, not just the people who pay the taxes.
If a guest calls 911 on WDW property and if the guest gets transported to Celebration hospital , it is a free ambulance ride. Try doing that in your neighborhood. A neighbor got transported to the local hospital from his home and he was billed $2K for the ambulance ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom