News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

DCBaker

Premium Member
New article from the Orlando Sentinel.

"Glen Gilzean, the head of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ Disney World oversight district, has continued to serve as the chairman of Florida’s ethics commission, despite a state law that members of the government watchdog panel cannot hold “public employment.”

Florida law specifies that “no member may hold any public employment” and serve on the ethics board. Gilzean was hired by the governor-appointed Central Florida Tourism Oversight District in May, drawing a $400,000-a-year salary from the special taxing district.

The Florida Bulldog, an investigative news website, revealed Gilzean’s potential conflict of interest, which had gone publicly unnoticed.

Gilzean attended ethics commission meetings in June and July, videos of those meetings show.

Gilzean’s dual roles as ethics commissioner and government administrator appear to violate state law, said Michael Barfield, director of public access initiatives for the Florida Center for Government Accountability.

“The legal requirements are there for a reason, and that is for transparency and to prevent conflicts of interest,” he said. “You can’t be sitting in a watchdog capacity in the position of the ethics commission and at the same time be … subject to the authority of the ethics commission. That is an inherent conflict of interest.”

A tourism district spokesman referred questions Monday to the Commission on Ethics. A spokeswoman for the Commission on Ethics did not respond to an email and phone message seeking comment.

Gilzean could not be reached by phone. A DeSantis spokesman also did not respond to an email seeking comment.

The nine-member ethics commission is tasked with investigating complaints of “breach of the public trust by public officers and employees.” With a staff of about 25 employees, the commission describes itself as the “guardian of the standards of conduct for officers and employees of Florida.”

Board members, appointed by DeSantis and the leaders of the Florida House and Senate, do not receive a salary from the state.

DeSantis first appointed Gilzean to the ethics commission in 2019. He was elected chairman in January. His term on the commission expires in June 2024."

Full article below.

lazyboy97o

Seems like a good case for a neutral third-party mediation and settlement.

The problem with that is the Governor knows it would make him look weak and cost him political points. If he was smart(er), he would do that now, and maybe still survive the polls long enough to get him to the primaries. The longer this goes on, the weaker he looks, and the potential for damage greater for him.

I believe Disney would be amicable to mediation, they seem to have nothing to lose in continuing this fight except for legal fees. They can continue to fight him and spin bad publicity for him in the process. Win or lose, they can still be a thorn in his side until the election, costing him polls, time and money.
A mediator would not have the authority to compel the state legislature.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just a quick survey: Most of us here still agree today that Disney's legal team is pretty incredible and will legally stomp all over the state of Florida in the next months and years. Florida has nothing to stand on and will go down in flames.....right?
I believe ultimately Disney will prevail in federal court.

The question is will it matter?
By not getting out in front…they may have lost their arrangement for good. And that is a miscalculation

afterabme

More like trying to get that albatross off his neck.

Without DeSantis leading the charge, I don't see how this ever gets to court... the state will try to worm its way out to some settlement. The real question is, what will Disney stop at? It doesn't seem like they have an appetite for Supreme Court fights either... so how do two unhappy sides find some new world order?
Realistically, outside of communicating via attorneys.
A few ways and there are more

1. New Governor in 2027 proposes new legislation to remedy the situation.
2. Disney’s government relations team and lobbyists in Tallahassee work closely on the Plaza Level.
3. Both sides eventually send out signals and send out representatives to meet and talk over situation. As laid out in this CNN article, in May 2022, Treadwell and Ben Watkins visited RCID to meet with the top admins of the District but then stopped all contact. It’s possible for a legislative fix but lots of hurdles to clear. Finding a genie bottle might be easier, but only time will tell.

GrumpyFan

By not getting out in front…they may have lost their arrangement for good. And that is a miscalculation
I don't know how these things work, but IF they win in Federal court, couldn't the judge then order the state to pay punitive damages and overturn the laws that stripped RCID and replaced it with CFTOD? I mean, that's the best case scenario. Not sure what other options a judge might award them if it's decided in their favor.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Realistically, outside of communicating via attorneys.
A few ways and there are more

1. New Governor in 2027 proposes new legislation to remedy the situation.
2. Disney’s government relations team and lobbyists in Tallahassee work closely on the Plaza Level.
3. Both sides eventually send out signals and send out representatives to meet and talk over situation. As laid out in this CNN article, in May 2022, Treadwell and Ben Watkins visited RCID to meet with the top admins of the District but then stopped all contact. It’s possible for a legislative fix but lots of hurdles to clear. Finding a genie bottle might be easier, but only time will tell.

Yeah I'm not concerned about physically how they do it.

What I can't rationalize at this point is WHAT they would target as the acceptable end-state for both parties. What is the compromise they would settle on? This is the part I can't conceive a setting that works for everyone in ways they would be willing to give up right now. My point is 'whats the target we all agree on?' -- That's the thing I think is most convoluted.

Mechanics are easily addressed if all parties are pushing for the same goal.

lazyboy97o

I don't know how these things work, but IF they win in Federal court, couldn't the judge then order the state to pay punitive damages and overturn the laws that stripped RCID and replaced it with CFTOD? I mean, that's the best case scenario. Not sure what other options a judge might award them if it's decided in their favor.
Disney is not seeking nor can they win punitive damages.

afterabme

Yeah I'm not concerned about physically how they do it.

What I can't rationalize at this point is WHAT they would target as the acceptable end-state for both parties. What is the compromise they would settle on? This is the part I can't conceive a setting that works for everyone in ways they would be willing to give up right now. My point is 'whats the target we all agree on?' -- That's the thing I think is most convoluted.

Mechanics are easily addressed if all parties are pushing for the same goal.

This is the closest thing I can find talking about a potential compromise between both sides from December 2022:

This version never came to pass. But, it does show conversations were happening in the past…

GrumpyFan

Disney is not seeking nor can they win punitive damages.
My bad. Sorry, IANAL, so I just make it up as I go along, and it sounded good. 😁

What about the possibility of the law(s) being overturned? I've only skimmed some of the suits they cited but it seems like this has happened more than once in cases where First Amendment violations were alleged.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

New article from the Orlando Sentinel.

"Glen Gilzean, the head of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ Disney World oversight district, has continued to serve as the chairman of Florida’s ethics commission, despite a state law that members of the government watchdog panel cannot hold “public employment.”

Florida law specifies that “no member may hold any public employment” and serve on the ethics board. Gilzean was hired by the governor-appointed Central Florida Tourism Oversight District in May, drawing a $400,000-a-year salary from the special taxing district.

The Florida Bulldog, an investigative news website, revealed Gilzean’s potential conflict of interest, which had gone publicly unnoticed.

Gilzean attended ethics commission meetings in June and July, videos of those meetings show.

Gilzean’s dual roles as ethics commissioner and government administrator appear to violate state law, said Michael Barfield, director of public access initiatives for the Florida Center for Government Accountability.

“The legal requirements are there for a reason, and that is for transparency and to prevent conflicts of interest,” he said. “You can’t be sitting in a watchdog capacity in the position of the ethics commission and at the same time be … subject to the authority of the ethics commission. That is an inherent conflict of interest.”

A tourism district spokesman referred questions Monday to the Commission on Ethics. A spokeswoman for the Commission on Ethics did not respond to an email and phone message seeking comment.

Gilzean could not be reached by phone. A DeSantis spokesman also did not respond to an email seeking comment.

The nine-member ethics commission is tasked with investigating complaints of “breach of the public trust by public officers and employees.” With a staff of about 25 employees, the commission describes itself as the “guardian of the standards of conduct for officers and employees of Florida.”

Board members, appointed by DeSantis and the leaders of the Florida House and Senate, do not receive a salary from the state.

DeSantis first appointed Gilzean to the ethics commission in 2019. He was elected chairman in January. His term on the commission expires in June 2024."

Full article below.

The wolf is guarding the henhouse.......

Chi84

Premium Member
My bad. Sorry, IANAL, so I just make it up as I go along, and it sounded good. 😁

What about the possibility of the law(s) being overturned? I've only skimmed some of the suits they cited but it seems like this has happened more than once in cases where First Amendment violations were alleged.
Yes. Disney is asking for a declaratory judgment (a determination or finding by the federal court) that certain laws passed by the Florida legislature are unlawful and unenforceable because they violated Disney’s constitutional rights. They are also asking that Florida be prevented from enforcing those laws.

Prince-1

JusticeDisney

If Disney prevails (and I agree with you that they will), it absolutely will matter, as the operating agreements that they executed will be controlling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom