News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

The governor was the only one ever benefiting from all of this and he's obviously decided that's no longer the case. His statement about moving on is clear legalese for "let the settlement negotiations begin." I wouldn't be surprised if it was already happening.
The way he settles is by calling a special session of the legislature for the specific purpose of making changes. That’s just brings the issue back into the spotlight which is the exact opposite of what he wants. “Moving on” seems to me to be more “I’m no longer bringing this up and stop asking about it because it’s not playing well”.

drnilescrane

The way he settles is by calling a special session of the legislature for the specific purpose of making changes. That’s just brings the issue back into the spotlight which is the exact opposite of what he wants. “Moving on” seems to me to be more “I’m no longer bringing this up and stop asking about it because it’s not playing well”.
Which isn't going to work when Disney are blasting their filed motions out to every single media outlet (under embargo too, so they have their articles ready to go the moment it drops in PACER).

Wendy Pleakley

He's painted himself into a corner where his only way to have a "victory" is if the courts all rule in his favour.

Any public "compromise" with Disney is going to look weak. Any court loss will just re-emphasize how ill advised this was.

mmascari

• CFTOD drops the state suit, re-ratifies the development agreement and covenants
The lawyers for the two cases at least have the ability to do this.

• CFTOD board remains as-is and pledges to work more with Disney
This one feels like wishful thinking. The governor could agree to appoint new board members with Disney input, but even that is still sketchy on value.

• Disney drops its lawsuit with option to refile
The lawyers for Disney at least have the ability to do this.

• Things stay that way until 2027, when the legislature quietly redoes the charter and creates a compromise situation of some kind (e.g. Governor appoints the board, but Disney has to ratify it, the counties choose, a 50/50 split between the governor/Disney, something like that).
This one feels even more wishful than the first. None of the legal teams involved have any leverage at all to convince the legislature to pass a new law.

All combined, that leaves the compromise settlement as Disney giving up everything and hoping the governor treats them nicely until some new one can convince the legislature to pass new laws. Is that the definition of a hope and a prayer being the solution?

It's easy to say just settle when you're not the party which has had your rights egregiously tramped on.
Most settlement compromises result in both sides getting something and giving up something. Since it's never been clear what the State's goal is here beyond punishing Disney. It's also unclear what the compromise would be? Punish Disney less isn't really a compromise.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's easy to say just settle when you're not the party which has had your rights egregiously tramped on.

Any concession by Disney just enables this type of behaviour moving forward. Accepting a "compromise" is still a loss if you lost something while the other side gained something.

Correct - but that's why it's called 'compromise' and not 'winning' - it's by definition about a blend. And sometimes 'winning' is in itself a scorched earth policy that isn't desirable.

Disney has already been signaling they don't really want this fight.

mmascari

So no settlement then? I guess we’ll have to wait to find out.
I assume not.

Unless someone can suggest how a settlement would work mechanically.

I'm clearly not a lawyer, but I don't see any way for any settlement to impact the current conditions. No matter the goal of the settlement, whatever compromise the parties can agree to that satisfies both of them. If there's no way to actually create the outcome, there's no point to it at all.

That all of this was created through an act of law really complicates the entire process and limits what is possible without another act of law.

pdude81

The best result for all parties at this point is for Disney to win in court. Then those with political and fundraising motivations can say they did their best to fight for what they believe is correct, and some other boogeyman pulled the football at the last second. Then Disney gets back RCID as it both sides can sleep at night.

The only possibility of a settlement would be the "U-turn" that was reported on last year where things of no importance are stripped out, and RCID gets re-established under the current Florida constitution with the same nuclear bond language. I don't see that making sense at this point given where this all ended up.

tissandtully

"I think that the skirmish they got in with these young kids."

What does this mean?? And no one challenges him on this??

I'm still unsure of what he is talking about, can someone explain what young kids and skirmish is all about? Was Disney running a kid fight club? Or is this like some sort of pedo dog whistle?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The laws were changed…hammered through with predictable little thought

If Disneys legal army - which is quite large - is doing the logical thing…they really can’t “let it go”

This could comeback at anytime. That’s the fallout here. The fact this governor is done and will be fighting Marco Rubio for his seat shortly doesn’t “fix” anything.

Disney can’t really let it “stand” on promises.

Surferboy567

I’m starting to believe the best course of action is to let the case play out and let the board continue to make themselves look like fools. Disney gets what they want by torpedoing the board and states public image making Disney look more favorable in court. Eventually when it gets taken to the federal level everything goes back to the way it was. Why risk a settlement when the outcome from a federal court win is more desirable.

The only thing that worries me here is that they lose the state court which I can unfortunately see happening. I think however, they can definitely prevail in federal court. Another issue is that if the board becomes more hostile they could make changes that could wreck the daily operations of WDW. Disney could of course just add that to their lawsuit. The damage could already be done by then though.

lazyboy97o

Disney gets what they want by torpedoing the board and states public image making Disney look more favorable in court.
The court should not be adjudicating based on public image.
Eventually when it gets taken to the federal level everything goes back to the way it was.
It’s already at the federal level.
The only thing that worries me here is that they lose the state court which I can unfortunately see happening. I think however, they can definitely prevail in federal court.
Why is this worrying? This scenario would still return the situation to the status quo ante.

mikejs78

Premium Member
There is a new Motion for Summary Judgement in the CFTOD vs. Disney case.

I'm still not clear on how the district even has standing around any of these issues. For all intents and purposes, they are the successors to the party (RCID) that allegedly did not follow the procedures. My understanding is only the supposedly injured parties - the landowners or the municipalities - would have standing to sue on these matters.

Surferboy567

DeSantis once said that the “most important thing” is that Disney has not “made a peep” after his act of retaliation. For me, a settlement would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Our First Amendment rights are far more important than some land development.
That is true but it’s also worth noting this is more then just land development on the line.

I do agree though a settlement may not be the best course of action.

JAB

Doesn’t need to go though the state first judging by how the motion to dismiss was denied?
There are two separate lawsuits that have been filed - one at the federal level and one at the state level.

Disney filed their lawsuit in federal court based on their assertion that the FL government's action violate the US constitution (a lawsuit can be filed directly in federal court if it relates to federal law). The CFTOD then later filed their own lawsuit against Disney in FL state court claiming the development contract Disney signed with RCID was not legally executed.

Wendy Pleakley

So, hypothetically, if the courts rule in a way that says yes, Florida can take over RCID as they have done.

Can Disney then remove themselves from the arrangement completely? Can they say that since they no longer hold decision making process they want to pay the same tax rate other companies do?

So messy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom