News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

EeyoreFan#24

Can’t get into details but new desantis board causing some havoc in regards to “fire codes”. Going to cost Disney lots of money to make lots of changes, With lots affecting how cast work backstage, and the cast are all very aware and angry about the reason why.

This makes 100% sense of a route they would take. I’ve seen before where a good relationship with a fire authority meant nothing when a fire district changed and the new jurisdiction came in with a head of steam to make it known who was in charge. Under the same rules for both sides of course.

lazyboy97o

Can’t get into details but new desantis board causing some havoc in regards to “fire codes”. Going to cost Disney lots of money to make lots of changes, With lots affecting how cast work backstage, and the cast are all very aware and angry about the reason why.
The fire department can only really require changes if there are problems. A building is to conform to the code under which it was permitted. If there are changes to the building then, based on the scope of work, it is to conform to the current code, but the current code actually has distinct sections for existing and new construction.

The challenge any facility faces is that general employees are not trained in the fire code. People end up doing all sorts of things that are violations. Back of houses spaces are particularly vulnerable as their space needs are less prioritized so all sorts of ad how solutions are devised, from using space like hallways for storage to makeshift office spaces.

Vegas Disney Fan

The fire department can only really require changes if there are problems. A building is to conform to the code under which it was permitted. If there are changes to the building then, based on the scope of work, it is to conform to the current code, but the current code actually has distinct sections for existing and new construction.

The challenge any facility faces is that general employees are not trained in the fire code. People end up doing all sorts of things that are violations. Back of houses spaces are particularly vulnerable as their space needs are less prioritized so all sorts of ad how solutions are devised, from using space like hallways for storage to makeshift office spaces.
I’m curious to hear more about this also, I’ve worked in food and beverage in Vegas for a couple decades and everything will be smooth sailing until the health inspector changes, then we’re suddenly getting dinged for everything under the sun, after a few months we’ve fixed all the little things they’ve pointed out and we know what the new inspector wants and everything goes back to smooth sailing, until the next one. I’m curious if this is the same thing or actual retaliation.

afterabme

This makes 100% sense of a route they would take. I’ve seen before where a good relationship with a fire authority meant nothing when a fire district changed and the new jurisdiction came in with a head of steam to make it known who was in charge. Under the same rules for both sides of course.
So the current RCFD Chief, Chief LePere, is retiring in August. Once they find a new Chief, I wonder how that impacts the situation.

TtocsMc

So the current RCFD Chief, Chief LePere, is retiring in August. Once they find a new Chief, I wonder how that impacts the situation.
If the new fire chief is selected like the new administrator was then he or she will simply be a figurehead that does what the board tells them to, in my opinion.

Lilofan

Inflation is high in Florida because more people are moving into it than any other state.

Florida now has the highest inflation rate in the US. Here's why

Florida's inflation rates are skyrocketing and the state now leads the nation thanks mostly to the rising cost of housing.​
...​
Florida also saw a higher influx of people than any other state, according to the Tampa Bay Economic Development Council.​
From July 2021 to July 2022, nearly 444,500 people moved to Florida, which compared to the previous year was a gain of 185,000, the largest year-over-year impact of residents moving, according to the EDC.​

...​
Housing costs account for a significant portion of the CPI, meaning that Florida's high inflation rates are being driven primarily by the shortage of homes.​

Florida is a victim of its own success. Home prices in Florida have gone absolutely crazy.

There are many things to be angry at DeSantis about but inflation is not one of them.
Rock bottom condo prices summer 2009 during recession , the condo I was looking at but didn't buy was selling and sold at $60K. Today it is selling for $350K.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Inflation is high in Florida because more people are moving into it than any other state.

Florida now has the highest inflation rate in the US. Here's why

Florida's inflation rates are skyrocketing and the state now leads the nation thanks mostly to the rising cost of housing.​
...​
Florida also saw a higher influx of people than any other state, according to the Tampa Bay Economic Development Council.​
From July 2021 to July 2022, nearly 444,500 people moved to Florida, which compared to the previous year was a gain of 185,000, the largest year-over-year impact of residents moving, according to the EDC.​

...​
Housing costs account for a significant portion of the CPI, meaning that Florida's high inflation rates are being driven primarily by the shortage of homes.​

Florida is a victim of its own success. Home prices in Florida have gone absolutely crazy.

There are many things to be angry at DeSantis about but inflation is not one of them.
Don't worry. When I move to Florida, I'll be towing my own home with me!!

DCBaker

Premium Member
New article from the Orlando Business Journal -

"The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District may lower property taxes on its stakeholders — likely good news for several businesses within its boundaries, including Walt Disney World.

The district, at its July 26 meeting, will vote to approve a new proposed millage rate — or tax rate — levied on the taxable value of land that helps determine the property taxes paid by property owners — in this case, primarily Disney-owned land. The district's millage rate will drop to 12.95 mills — or 1/1,000th of a dollar levied on property assessments — for the district's fiscal year 2024, which starts on Oct. 1, down from 13.9 mills this year.

The new millage rate decision comes after taking stakeholder feedback to improve the overall business environment, District Administrator Glenton Gilzean Jr told Orlando Business Journal in an exclusive interview. He said one of his and the board's goals as the new district gained speed since being created in February was to be independent and fair.

"After listening to multiple taxpayers, we saw this was an opportunity to hear them loud and clear," he said.

However, the lowering of millage rate isn't actually going to lower the total revenue the district collects this coming year. Its budget, which is posted on the district site, shows the 2024 fiscal year will collect $188.4 million in property taxes, up 6.38% from $177.1 million collected this year.

Gilzean said if the board kept the millage rate the same, it would rake in more than $200 million in property taxes, but that's not his goal as the new head of the district. "Our responsibility is to the taxpayers in the district. I see showing the world — Disney included and other rate payers — that my administration will call the balls and strikes fairly."

He said he also is looking into other matters, including law enforcement contracts with the district's two municipalities — Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista — to see what kind of changes can be made there to maintain safety standards, but also lower millions of dollars in overtime pay being funded by district stakeholders. However, he said those topics are still in early stages of analysis.

The district's decision likely comes as good news to businesses that have worried in the past about tax increases.

Jay Leonard, complex general manager of the 394-room Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Disney Springs Resort Area, said he'd welcome anything being done to ease up costs on his bottom line.

"There's been a lot of concern about lawyers ... and that that would put a burden on the district," Leonard told OBJ. "[The property tax changes] help my ownership out as we continue to see inflation have big impacts on everything we purchase, from food to linens on beds, continue to go up. Any savings in any portion on the profit-and-loss statement is money going back to the ownership at the end of the day."

Representatives with Disney referred a request for comment to the district, saying not enough information will be available until the meeting."

Full article below.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
New article from the Orlando Business Journal -

"The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District may lower property taxes on its stakeholders — likely good news for several businesses within its boundaries, including Walt Disney World.

The district, at its July 26 meeting, will vote to approve a new proposed millage rate — or tax rate — levied on the taxable value of land that helps determine the property taxes paid by property owners — in this case, primarily Disney-owned land. The district's millage rate will drop to 12.95 mills — or 1/1,000th of a dollar levied on property assessments — for the district's fiscal year 2024, which starts on Oct. 1, down from 13.9 mills this year.

The new millage rate decision comes after taking stakeholder feedback to improve the overall business environment, District Administrator Glenton Gilzean Jr told Orlando Business Journal in an exclusive interview. He said one of his and the board's goals as the new district gained speed since being created in February was to be independent and fair.

"After listening to multiple taxpayers, we saw this was an opportunity to hear them loud and clear," he said.

However, the lowering of millage rate isn't actually going to lower the total revenue the district collects this coming year. Its budget, which is posted on the district site, shows the 2024 fiscal year will collect $188.4 million in property taxes, up 6.38% from $177.1 million collected this year.

Gilzean said if the board kept the millage rate the same, it would rake in more than $200 million in property taxes, but that's not his goal as the new head of the district. "Our responsibility is to the taxpayers in the district. I see showing the world — Disney included and other rate payers — that my administration will call the balls and strikes fairly."

He said he also is looking into other matters, including law enforcement contracts with the district's two municipalities — Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista — to see what kind of changes can be made there to maintain safety standards, but also lower millions of dollars in overtime pay being funded by district stakeholders. However, he said those topics are still in early stages of analysis.

The district's decision likely comes as good news to businesses that have worried in the past about tax increases.

Jay Leonard, complex general manager of the 394-room Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Disney Springs Resort Area, said he'd welcome anything being done to ease up costs on his bottom line.

"There's been a lot of concern about lawyers ... and that that would put a burden on the district," Leonard told OBJ. "[The property tax changes] help my ownership out as we continue to see inflation have big impacts on everything we purchase, from food to linens on beds, continue to go up. Any savings in any portion on the profit-and-loss statement is money going back to the ownership at the end of the day."

Representatives with Disney referred a request for comment to the district, saying not enough information will be available until the meeting."

Full article below.

Well…I didn’t have that on my bingo card

JoeCamel

Why are they being "nice" to the property tax payer? No matter what they should determine what the district's costs are and set according to that with a small cushion for unbudgeted shortfalls. Setting what you force owners to pay based on feel good is a terrible way to run a district.

Unbanshee

Why are they being "nice" to the property tax payer? No matter what they should determine what the district's costs are and set according to that with a small cushion for unbudgeted shortfalls. Setting what you force owners to pay based on feel good is a terrible way to run a district.

The Blog Mickey article says that revenue will be increased other ways

Brian

turntables GIF

JoeCamel

The Blog Mickey article says that revenue will be increased other ways

Right but what relation to the district's needs is any of that. They can forecast how much they will get and budget for their needs accordingly adjusting the income as needed. Picking a new number is being touted as a "favor" for the business in the area but does it cut services? Can it develop as needed? Don't know if you cut the tie between need vs supply and leave the wants for an extra if the surplus materializes.
It's all moot if tourism to the "world" crashes and the money train stops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom