News Red Car Trolley to close in early 2025

JSouth25

Just an FYI, I've been seeing many speculations swirling that there is a chance that Disney may find a way for RCT to stay, including from Jim Shull.

So I don't think its 100% gone yet.
That’s good to hear. The trolley’s such an important part of the ambiance of BVS & Hollywoodland, and a symbol of DCA’s rebirth. It probably helps that the barn doesn’t take up too much space backstage and it’d probably not be too difficult to build another.

TP2000

They don't care. Period.

If they cared, they would find a way to relocate the barn and make it work. To quote @TP2000: Idiots.

Six or eight months ago, we already discussed this scenario. And I posted this photo, with lavish editing to denote the new location of a trolley barn behind Buena Vista Street. As I remember, there is actually more room for a trolley barn at the northern end of the line than there is at the southern end of the line.

But obviously, Josh D'Amaro and the TDA President Du Jour don't care. Or don't know. Or worse, don't even know to ask.

Because they're idiots.

barnyard-jpg.788038

From a comment I made in the Disneyland Forward thread last May...

I don't think the trolley barn has to be moved for modest expansion; the type that would just add a single E Ticket ride warehouse south of the Avenger's Campus entry points. The trolley barn was simply placed where it is because at the time (2012) that was the southern perimeter of the park and the easiest and most obvious place to put it.

But if they really want/need to go with a major expansion for that remaining 7+ acres of land in the southeast corner of DCA, they'd likely need to move the trolley barn to the new perimeter of the park. It could go several places.

One place I don't think we've considered is to place the trolley barn on the north end of its route, behind Buena Vista Street.

There's land there for a facility twice the size of the current barn that could house 3 or 4 trolleys, if they ever wanted to expand the system through the enlarged park. You'd have to move the trash dumpsters though, and I have it on good authority that the break room nearby is a sacred Judge Judy viewing location, so you might get some pushback from old timers. :oops:

View attachment 788038

Consumer

Six or eight months ago, we already discussed this scenario. And I posted this photo, with lavish editing to denote the new location of a trolley barn behind Buena Vista Street. As I remember, there is actually more room for a trolley barn at the northern end of the line than there is at the southern end of the line.

But obviously, Josh D'Amaro and the TDA President Du Jour don't care. Or don't know. Or worse, don't even know to ask.

Because they're idiots.

barnyard-jpg.788038

From a comment I made in the Disneyland Forward thread last May...
I suspect the reason the barn was not placed in this location initially, even though it makes the most sense, is because that corridor was used as an entrance into DCA during its remodel since Sunshine Plaza was being converted to BVS.

TP2000

I suspect the reason the barn was not placed in this location initially, even though it makes the most sense, is because that corridor was used as an entrance into DCA during its remodel since Sunshine Plaza was being converted to BVS.

Agreed. And that barn space in the red box I placed behind BVS is just over twice the size of the current maintenance barn behind Avenger Land.

You could build a larger maintenance barn there, with space to store four trolleys instead of two, to expand the system further into the park with more vehicles and track.

Raidermatt

Agree to disagree, because if there was indeed a restriction on non-IP experiences being added to the Parks, and Lassiter was the driver behind RCT as some have indicated, then you would think that RCT would have been forced to have some IP associated with it as well, with Lassiter pushing to have something Pixar related.

So again I go back to RCT being the exception rather than the rule in this instance.
There is no doubt there was a restriction. The fact RCT got approved is minor miracle. And had it not been featured in Roger Rabbit, even RCT would not have made it.

I'm not saying RCT is proof Lasseter championed non-IP. Its a small indication he was willing to do so, but that's all. He, like everybody else, simply never had the option to do so.

However, his history as an executive indicates he is not the type to place such shackles on creative teams. It would have been nice to find out what he would have done with more leeway.

JSouth25

I had to add that after a recent visit to Disneyland I made time for riding the Red Car Trolly again.

It is really sad this is being removed…it adds a lot to the atmosphere and some nice kinectic energy to Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle.
Not to mention a fun ride down the street.

-
I’ve only been on it a few times, but it really adds so much to the atmosphere just being there. I hope they find a way to bring it back in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom