News Red Car Trolley to close in early 2025

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Done.

1724972207938.png

mickEblu

I suppose it doesn't have to be backstage, but why would you want it on-stage just to put it in that location? Other places that it can be put if they wanted to keep it and have it backstage, several that just got mentioned before this post.

Also that area is not configured correctly for a structure like a barn. You literally have the edge of the Webslingers building that would stick into the back of the barn.

Now maybe if you have a single track barn it might fit better in that location, but then what do you do about the second car just leave it out on-stage?

But to me its just not an ideal location from what I can see based on the current barn footprint.

Might not be ideal but it’s an option. An option that reroutes the trolley out of the Avengers / Pandora cross hairs and lengthens the route that what would be at best shortened down from just the entrance to Off the Page.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Might not be ideal but it’s an option. An option that reroutes the trolley out of the Avengers / Pandora cross hairs and lengthens the route that what would be at best shortened down from just the entrance to the Off the Page.
Well if they are going to move it some place I think they would put it into a more ideal location, specifically backstage.

Also there is nothing preventing them from adding more track to go further down the Parade Corridor if they want to keep the Red Car even with it having a barn there. I mean they could have done that a long time ago, but didn't.

I think we'll get an answer on whether Red Car is coming back or not if they keep the track down Hollywood Blvd. If the track remains long after closing its coming back, if its paved over shortly after closure its gone permanently.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I’d also point out - I used to drive an actual antique trolley at a railroad museum - it just sat outside all the time. A building is not necessary to have a trolley. The Main Street vehicles just park under canopies don’t they?
From Wikipedia:

"Unlike the original Pacific Electric trolley cars, which drew their power from an overhead wire, the "Red Car Trolley" cars are battery-operated. The onboard batteries are fully recharged overnight in the car barn, and the battery is periodically "topped off" through non-contact charging using induction coils in the ground where the cars rest at the Sunset Boulevard stop.[10][11] The trolley poles on the cars and the overhead catenary lines through the park are not energized and were added to enhance authenticity."

I suppose you don't need barns to charge them overnight, but it's a good place to house the equipment and they probably get washed and maintained there too.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’d also point out - I used to drive an actual antique trolley at a railroad museum - it just sat outside all the time. A building is not necessary to have a trolley. The Main Street vehicles just park under canopies don’t they?
The trolleys are battery operated, so I think they need the barn for that. And the Main St vehicles are still parked backstage.

DrAlice

I do think this marks the end of my interest in DCA. With nothing at Hyperion, no Pixar orchestra, and now no red car trolley the only things left are World of Color and Five & Dime.

I do like the rides in Cars Land but not enough to add a park hopper if I’m visiting.

I’m hoping to visit this winter and say goodbye :-/ weird time to be a Disney fan.

I know how you feel. I'm not quite ready to give up on DCA (yet), but I certainly feel that way about Magic Kingdom. My family is going to WDW in a few weeks, and while I'm sure we will have fun, it feels like a goodbye trip. The Masters Degree level trip planning required, the cost, the distance, and now the removal of ROA will just be too much to be worth it for us. We'll go enjoy the Liberty Belle before she leaves, and that will be that.

It is a very weird time to be a Disney fan.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How long did the Jolly Trolley tracks stay in place?
Years, but there is a difference in this case. Several areas where the RCT either goes by or goes through is planned to be under construction, albeit phases, in a short period of time (short for Disney anyways). So there will be plenty of opportunity for them to rip up the track in those locations. If any of them has the track stay after their construction, then there is a greater possibility of its return. If not and the track is ripped up and paved over then its pretty much confirmed to be permanently gone.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Iger's IP directive was already in place when Pixar was assimilated. It just wasn't officially announced back then.
That in no way precludes what was said. Lassiter was still for pushing more Pixar IP into DCA, hence Pixar Pier. So its not like he was some champion for non-IP experiences. If anything RCT was the exception not the rule in this instance.

TrainsOfDisney

Lassiter was still for pushing more Pixar IP into DCA, hence Pixar Pier.
nobody said otherwise…. I’m not saying Red Car Trolley should stay cause “it’s not IP” I just think it should stay.

Lassiter understood theme park design…. Many of the attractions he pushed were the more “classic” style attractions like the trolley, the submarine, the seas with Nemo dark ride, and yes even the flying tires which I really wish I would have ridden more when I had the chance! Haha

Raidermatt

That in no way precludes what was said. Lassiter was still for pushing more Pixar IP into DCA, hence Pixar Pier. So its not like he was some champion for non-IP experiences. If anything RCT was the exception not the rule in this instance.
He was pushing for Pixar IP over other IP. Non-IP was not an option, it was off the table.

The best case you can make is that we don't know what he would have pushed had there not been that restriction.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
He was pushing for Pixar IP over other IP. Non-IP was not an option, it was off the table.

The best case you can make is that we don't know what he would have pushed had there not been that restriction.
Agree to disagree, because if there was indeed a restriction on non-IP experiences being added to the Parks, and Lassiter was the driver behind RCT as some have indicated, then you would think that RCT would have been forced to have some IP associated with it as well, with Lassiter pushing to have something Pixar related.

So again I go back to RCT being the exception rather than the rule in this instance.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
nobody said otherwise…. I’m not saying Red Car Trolley should stay cause “it’s not IP” I just think it should stay.

Lassiter understood theme park design…. Many of the attractions he pushed were the more “classic” style attractions like the trolley, the submarine, the seas with Nemo dark ride, and yes even the flying tires which I really wish I would have ridden more when I had the chance! Haha
Just an FYI, I've been seeing many speculations swirling that there is a chance that Disney may find a way for RCT to stay, including from Jim Shull.

So I don't think its 100% gone yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom