News Red Car Trolley to close in early 2025

PiratesMansion

I mean, I guess there’s a semi-decent chance that the Trolley does return in some form? I’ll gladly inhale the copium until Disney officially announces it’s dead.
I'm personally still waiting for 20,000 League's 30 year long refurbishment to finally be over.

I know and understand why people would want to maintain hope, but let's be honest, the ride is almost certainly gone.

DarkMetroid567

I really hope they determine they can and will keep it, but based on the D23 announcements, I’m not hopeful. I don’t expect the parks won’t change, but current park management is a huge disappointment. They seem bound and determined to make their mark, without realizing their marks are blemishes. Oh well, it’s making it easier and easier to spend money not at a Disney Park.
There’s at least an easier path for saving the Trolley — a literal reroute and a new shed, which admittedly could cost a decent amount.

RoA is a very different ballgame. If Disney doesn’t obliterate Hollywoodland (like it probably should) then the cutting of the Trolley would be arguably more offensive.

Squishy

Construction is the stated reason. The parade route follows a different path than the trolley does once it gets to GOTG (the parade route goes east through the backstage gate while the trolley goes west through the Avengers building)
So then they could just relay the track to go into the parade route entrance and rebuild the maintenance garage but that would cost money :(

lazyboy97o

I stand corrected on that front.

My point however is even clearer with that: it was put there in a desperate move to give the park something to do, not because it was a vision or a story.
Your point is even worse. You’re trying to BS your way through something that is known and remembered. They were spending over $1 billion on the park when they added it. It coincided with rebuilding the park entrance and modifying the Hollywood Picture Backlot.

mickEblu

Of course they re removing Red Car Trolley, it’s my favorite mode of transportation ride at either park.

😉 This is disappointing but it’s hard to get too upset after hearing about MK’s ROA which is a catastrophic level change. Or maybe I’m just getting used to it. TOT, Splash Mountain, Magnolia Park etc. I think I’m more disappointed with the Critter Country name change than this. Maybe because that was unnecessary/ non sensical and this was kind of expected.

DarkMetroid567

In all seriousness, the name change from Disney’s California Adventure to just Disney California Adventure was signal enough that Disney has not been interested in crafting a cohesive California-based park for at least 15 years.

For as much as people tout DCA 2.0 as a peak era/vision of the park, and deservedly so (Buena Vista especially being incredible), it was also far more IP-focused than it was California-focused.

October82

In all seriousness, the name change from Disney’s California Adventure to just Disney California Adventure was signal enough that Disney has not been interested in crafting a cohesive California-based park for at least 15 years.

For as much as people tout DCA 2.0 as a peak era/vision of the park, and deservedly so (Buena Vista especially being incredible), it was also far more IP-focused than it was California-focused.
IP isn't intrinsically bad. Cars is set in Arizona, but the themes are reflective of the California and broader "western American" ideas. TSMM and Mermaid were both conceptual fits to their lands. I don't think GSS is worth remarking on beyond the IP-free changes to the surrounding areas. Beyond that, it's BVS, which uses a nice mix of tasteful Disney references and certainly does a good job of capturing Los Angeles.

DCA 2.0 wasn't the concept park that DCA 1.0 was, but it had a good balance of Disney IP and original or semi-original attractions. That's part of why so many people think of it as the peak of the park - it appealed to pretty much everyone in a way that DCA before and after hasn't.

JSouth25

After thinking about this for a bit, I can accept that this was for a good reason at least, but I really do hope it comes back in the future. The red car trolley is really symbolic of DCA 2.0, and the park’s already lost a bunch of its “California” theming. I wish I could freeze in time DCA 2.0 from 2012-2015, it was such a fantastic park.

DarkMetroid567

IP isn't intrinsically bad. Cars is set in Arizona, but the themes are reflective of the California and broader "western American" ideas. TSMM and Mermaid were both conceptual fits to their lands. I don't think GSS is worth remarking on beyond the IP-free changes to the surrounding areas. Beyond that, it's BVS, which uses a nice mix of tasteful Disney references and certainly does a good job of capturing Los Angeles.

DCA 2.0 wasn't the concept park that DCA 1.0 was, but it had a good balance of Disney IP and original or semi-original attractions. That's part of why so many people think of it as the peak of the park - it appealed to pretty much everyone in a way that DCA before and after hasn't.
I generally agree with this, though I think you might be giving Mermaid and the rest of Paradise Pier a lil too much credit.

I mostly mean to address the lamenting of California-theming loss and the general focus around the park’s name. It’s just a belated question at this point.

JSouth25

I agree. It was absolutely still a “California” themed park, but it also had a good mix of recognizable Disney/Pixar IP that fit the park well for the most part. It’s frustrating to see how far off the deep end they went with IP in the park after they did such an amazing job with DCA 2.0. I still love the park, but as someone who grew up with it, it pains me to see the California elements slowly stripped away.

Consumer

The name change was literally part of the parks rebrand to be even more focused on the history of California.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom