News Red Car Trolley to close in early 2025

DavidDL

Speaking of name changes, one influencer is saying that they are surveying Magic Key Holders regarding Disney California Adventure name changes and one of the options was "Cinematic Adventures" (probably to keep the DCA moniker).

If that ends up being the future name of the park, we can likely kiss Grizzly Peak goodbye, too. Or at least expect a heavy re-theming of the area. Maybe even them ruining the Grand Californian hotel, too.

I wonder if any other Magic Key holders can confirm as of this point?

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Speaking of name changes, one influencer is saying that they are surveying Magic Key Holders regarding Disney California Adventure name changes and one of the options was "Cinematic Adventures" (probably to keep the DCA moniker).

If that ends up being the future name of the park, we can likely kiss Grizzly Peak goodbye, too. Or at least expect a heavy re-theming of the area. Maybe even them ruining the Grand Californian hotel, too.

Did you catch wind of other options presented?

DavidDL

Did you catch wind of other options presented?

I did not. Then again, I have not watched their video for myself, yet. This is just information being relayed to me the same way info is likely being relayed to them. They could always be mistaken but I wouldn't put a name like that past Disney at this point.

mickEblu

If the park opened today and was named Disney California Adventure with the exact same roster of lands and attractions nobody would have a problem with it.

One would walk in through BVS and say oh ok it’s about Walt’s journey to California. Then they’d walk around the rest of the park and think this is an adventure park with touches of California. Nobody would assume the entire park had to be about California unless Disney marketed it that way. Maybe that just speaks to how far we ve fallen when it comes to a consistent “theme” at most Disney parks. Specifically most of the non castle parks. To change the name today would make absolutely no sense on any level. Huge waste of money and doesn’t accomplish anything. Would also almost certainly end up being a worse name.

If they didn’t change the name for Hollywood Studios then I can’t see why they would do it here. Hollywood Studios makes way less sense than DCA. I was in favor of a name change there. Not only does it not make sense anymore but it’s cheesy and not even the original name of the park.

Last edited:

October82

If the park opened today and was named Disney California Adventure with the exact same roster of lands and attractions nobody would have a problem with it.

One would walk in through BVS and say oh ok it’s about Walt’s journey to California. Then they’d walk around the rest of the park and think this is an adventure park with touches of California. Nobody would assume the entire park had to be about California unless Disney marketed it that way. Maybe that just speaks to how far we ve fallen when it comes to a consistent “theme” at most Disney parks. Specifically most of the non castle parks. To change the name today would make absolutely no sense on any level. Huge waste of money and doesn’t accomplish anything. Would also almost certainly end up being a worse name.

If they didn’t change the name for Hollywood Studios then I can’t see why they would do it here. Hollywood Studios makes way less sense than DCA. I was in favor of a name change there. Not only does it not make sense anymore but it’s cheesy and not even the original name of the park.
I don't think a name change would be driven by 'respect for the theme (or lack thereof)' but by whatever Disney can market. I don't see how "Disney Cinematic Adventure" or something would attract more people, and I would add that Disney's execs in the 1990s were probably right that having California in the name isn't bad for marketing.

As far as theme post new-Marvel and Avatar go - those fit adequately under the "Hollywood" theme of that half of the park. It's easy enough to see how a future version of the company walks back some of the more egregious mis-steps of the last few years and DCA ends up being a bit of mishmash of attractions with lands that relate to the "California" brand. A stronger San Francisco/Bay Area taking over The Wharf and perhaps parts of "Avengers Campus", and yet another take on the Pier (Pixar Pier can't be long for the world, but Paradise Pier wasn't the best take on the concept either). If the Hollywood theme is strengthened, Avatar and Marvel can be fine mini-lands. If Coco sticks around in the pier, I think that can work. I'm probably more optimistic than I should be but I can see "California" continue to work as a theme.

Misted Compass

Original Poster
The red car trolley is really symbolic of DCA 2.0, and the park’s already lost a bunch of its “California” theming.
If the trolley is removed permanently, I'd see it as the final nail in the coffin for DCA 2.0 for that reason.
Good riddens…you can’t even sell lightning lane for that 😱
I honestly think they won't bring it back for this reason. Given what's happening at MK we're in an era where every bit of the park has to be profitable via Lightning Lane, and anything that isn't is on the chopping block.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Toad and Pinnochio close in order to give Pan and Snow White new queues with LL.

wdrive

As I said in the paving over the Rivers of America over at WDW I think this is my time to bow out of spending thousands on visiting Disney theme parks. They’re not what they were when I fell in love with them.

Every square inch of every park must make money now. An IP-less low capacity ride that you can’t sell lightning lanes to? Of course it’s getting ripped out.

CaptinEO

As I said in the paving over the Rivers of America over at WDW I think this is my time to bow out of spending thousands on visiting Disney theme parks. They’re not what they were when I fell in love with them.

Every square inch of every park must make money now. An IP-less low capacity ride that you can’t sell lightning lanes to? Of course it’s getting ripped out.
This started in the Paul Pressler era and has never gone away.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

If this happens I called it years ago....

Which is why I think a name like Disney Cinematic Adventure or Disney Cinematic Universe makes sense for where the park is going.

TP2000

This is yet another stupid decision from the idiotic brain trust that now runs Disney Parks Experiences; Josh D'Amaro, the TDA President Du Jour, the TDO President Du Jour, the profane WDI President Du Jour, etc.

As if this harmless, little, kinetic B Ticket couldn't be accommodated by whatever E Tickets they are building at the end of Hollywood Blvd. Idiots. If the end of Hollywood Blvd. and the Hyperion are not long for the world (that's obvious now), re-route the Trolley towards Cars Land and Paradise Pier. Or through Grizzly Peak.

I'm going to say this again for the 48th time this summer, but... the executives running the Parks right now are idiots. :banghead:

GravityFalls

Renaming a park is WAY more expensive and tedious than people might expect; I don't think Disney makes that decision unless they believe it will result in some sort of significant ROI.

CosmicDuck

Renaming a park is WAY more expensive and tedious than people might expect; I don't think Disney makes that decision unless they believe it will result in some sort of significant ROI.
I think the fact that they were floating this years ago and didn't pull the trigger means it's not happening anytime remotely soon.

For the time being the theme is that you're in California, and you're having an adventure.

Gusey

Why did they announce it as being discontinued rather than closing? I may be grasping at straws but seems odd to say discontinued. I've tried to find the blog post for when the Railroad was temporarily closing at WDW to see what terminology they used, but they've removed any blog post from before 2020

KDM31091

If the trolley is removed permanently, I'd see it as the final nail in the coffin for DCA 2.0 for that reason.

I honestly think they won't bring it back for this reason. Given what's happening at MK we're in an era where every bit of the park has to be profitable via Lightning Lane, and anything that isn't is on the chopping block.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Toad and Pinnochio close in order to give Pan and Snow White new queues with LL.
This exactly. If it doesn’t make LL revenue it’s a goner. I really hope they stop this trend but so far it’s full steam ahead.

The trolley is, on a smaller scale,very similar to ROA at WDW. No maybe not the most popular attraction, but there for vibe and theming and atmosphere. Sadly Disney doesn’t seem to care about these things anymore.

What even is DCA anymore? I don’t even know what name would make sense, given as much of a mess they’ve made of the park , it’s just a hodgepodge. Which is a shame. People decried DCA 1.0 but at least it did have a unifying theme and most attractions attempted to that theme, plus there was zero IP.

At this point may as well just call it Disney Adventure World of California and call it a day, as generic names suit these hodgepodge messes of parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom