News Red Car Trolley to close in early 2025

DavidDL

I stopped my regular attendance of DCA around the Mission: Breakout/Pixar Pier time. That said, I still keep a list of "Top 10 things to do while there" saved to my work computer, in case I ever did find myself in the park (Oogie Boogie Bash, etc.).

This is just another thing I now have to cross off that list. Disney really does hate that park and will do whatever they can to keep finding ways to ruin it. This decision is disgusting, really. I want to make a big fuss about it. But after dealing with everything announced at D23 (the loss of the river, potential loss of Muppets, etc.), I'm just tired and can't bring myself to.

I know it's only a matter of time until Disney loses me completely and today's announcement, however small, is just another click towards the inevitable.

Squishy

Im confused, is this ending because of budget cuts or is this ending because of construction? If its construction would that mean the parade route is going away as well?

TrainsOfDisney

What does this have to have Lassiter?
He was part of the reason Red Car Trolley exists at DCA.
On an optimistic note, removal of the trolley frees up a lot flexibility for new parades
How so?
And this is a whole process that serves no actual utilitarian purpose.
Which can be said of the entire Disney theme parks and the entire Disney company haha. It’s all a big show!
Doesn't Five n Dime use some other vehicle?
Yes, but the concern is will they survive all the cuts that are coming to the parks.

DLR92

It occurs to me that this could be a lawyer move.

Undoubtedly a lot of people who aren't paying attention trip on the trolley tracks quite frequently, even though they also have brick surrounding them to make their presence more obvious.

The Trolley can't be tied to Walt and his Main Street, so it's much easier to rip out than the Main Street tracks would be.

Or it's further confirmation that all of Hollywoodland is going goodbye in favor of Avatar. Who knows.

I have tripped a few times over Main Street with the tracks

DavidDL

While the Red Car Trolley is certainly important for park atmosphere, it is also physical evidence of what happens when Disney shows that they care about the details within their parks. It being constructed during the DCA 2.0 re-work means it was literally built as an attempt to convince park-goers that, "Hey, I know we sort of dropped the ball with this park initially but look at all this thematically appropriate detail and charm we are course-correcting it with".

Seeing it come down the street was a beacon and a reminder that Disney can care. Them announcing its removal and the inevitable empty, unused trolley track that is sure to sit there forever, is just another in your face reminder that, "Actually, we don't anymore."

TrainsOfDisney

Well he wasn't some bastion of "no/limited IPs in the Parks", so not sure where some are getting this idea he would protect it. But yes you're right it doesn't change the reality.
He is a huge railfan and he was a part of this project to begin with. He also brought back 2 dead attractions - the Omni mover at the seas and the submarines. Yes they were for Pixar IP’s but they weren’t coming back without him.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
He is a huge railfan and he was a part of this project to begin with. He also brought back 2 dead attractions - the Omni mover at the seas and the submarines. Yes they were for Pixar IP’s but they weren’t coming back without him.
And he was also part of the reason we have Pixar Pier. So lets not hold him up as some factious savior of non-IP experiences just because he was involved in bringing Red Car to the Park. If someone said let retheme X to Pixar but it'll require removing the Red Car I'm fairly confident he'd have said yes do and signed off on it.

Misted Compass

Original Poster
Im confused, is this ending because of budget cuts or is this ending because of construction? If its construction would that mean the parade route is going away as well?
Construction is the stated reason. The parade route follows a different path than the trolley does once it gets to GOTG (the parade route goes east through the backstage gate while the trolley goes west through the Avengers building)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m not…. He likes trains and would probably have tried to keep the trolley in my opinion. That’s all I’m saying. Who knows for sure! Ha
If he really liked trains he would have found a way to bring the DLRR into DCA too. ;)

Imagine making a real grand circle tour that included DCA too with scenes from CA, like going through Gold Country.

build_it

I really hope they determine they can and will keep it, but based on the D23 announcements, I’m not hopeful. I don’t expect the parks won’t change, but current park management is a huge disappointment. They seem bound and determined to make their mark, without realizing their marks are blemishes. Oh well, it’s making it easier and easier to spend money not at a Disney Park.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I said goodbye to the trolley when the News Boys show was canceled.

It was pretty obvious when Avengers Campus was being constructed that the trolley's future was questionable. And the gradual and continual loss of CA theming in DCA made this move inevitable. There's just no way to make an Avatar Land happen in "California". So I think with that build, we will finally get a new name for the park. And maybe even a whole new front of the park, because what the heck does Walt coming to CA have to do with Pandora? Just acknowledge that this is the PixarPandoraMultiverse Park and be done with it. Though I'd love it if they leaned into making this the Sci-Fi/Fantasy park and tore out all the junky pier leftovers from DCA 1.0. A park that has Pandora, Avengers, Cars Land and Coco has potential. Everything else could really go. Add Tron here too and it would make a heck of an entrance - you enter the Grid and go through portals to different realms or "video games". Theming accomplished. And it's an excuse to bring back ElecTRONica. :D #win

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom